Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faint headlight on 2007 AUDI A3 1.6 Attraction

• 09-09-2016 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Noticed that the left headlight is about 20% the strength of what it used to be. The right one is working fine.

As the car is approaching 10 years old i have the chance to do the NCT a few months sooner in order to get a 2 year cert, otherwise it will be a 1 year cert if i leave it until the actual renewal of Jan 2017. I think it would fail the test because of the headlight.

I assume i would need to replace the bulb that is faint. Can anyone recommend the best shop to buy this ? Would Halfords sell them and install for free ?

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes replace the bulb and should be fine. While your at it you should replace the other one so both are new, otherwise the other bulb could go in the near future and you will need another fitted.

Halfords will do it, they will charge, not sure how much, less than €10 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Video here on how to do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes replace the bulb and should be fine.
    I've never known a headlight bulb "go faint" due to a fault in the bulb itself. They either work or they don't, i.e. they blow.

More likely to be a wiring fault (dodgy earth) or a corroded terminal in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It could be fitted incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks, yes i've read a bit about the possibility of something being corroded. Will check this before i buy a new bulb
    Alun wrote: »
    I've never known a headlight bulb "go faint" due to a fault in the bulb itself. They either work or they don't, i.e. they blow.

More likely to be a wiring fault (dodgy earth) or a corroded terminal in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Seems the bulb stopped working completely a few weeks back.

Got a new bulb in Halfords for €12 and it was installed for €8

All good now

Advertisement