Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Third party extension taken away!

• 09-09-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭

So just got my renewal from Liberty, actually pretty reasonably priced!

But they said there is a note on my file that I can no longer be offered the driving of other cars!

Why would this be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Timmyr wrote: »
    So just got my renewal from Liberty, actually pretty reasonably priced!

But they said there is a note on my file that I can no longer be offered the driving of other cars!

Why would this be?

Reasons I've come across for its removal include

Change of occupation into a motor trade related field

Claims while using the DoC extension

Suspicious activity ie using DoC to drive cars the insured actually owns but has registered in someone else's name

Best bet is to call them to get a definitive answer straight from the horses mouth tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Reasons I've come across for its removal include

Change of occupation into a motor trade related field

Claims while using the DoC extension

Suspicious activity ie using DoC to drive cars the insured actually owns but has registered in someone else's name

Best bet is to call them to get a definitive answer straight from the horses mouth tbh.

None of those circumstances relate to me, I did call them and they said that it was the underwriters decision and they cant tell me any more

Im baffled, Ive been with Liberty a long time

None of those circumstances relate to me, I did call them and they said that it was the underwriters decision and they cant tell me any more

They cannot reduce or amend your cover without providing a valid reason.

Get back on to them, tell them that under the consumer protection code they are obliged to provide you with a reason for reducing your cover level and that you want their reason in writing. If the agent won't relent (in fairness to them they have zero power so have to follow a script) ask to speak to a team lead or supervisor.

They have to provide a reason so don't let them fob you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

An insurer can offer amended terms at renewal without having to give reason. Every term is a new contract which you can either accept or reject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Nice how good faith and disclosure only works one way isn't it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it an old car? Anecdotally heard of insurers removing the DoC extension when the car is over 15 years old. If they'll quote at all. To prevent people obviously buying a piece of scrap and then using DoC to drive their "mother's" hot hatch.

An insurer can offer amended terms at renewal without having to give reason. Every term is a new contract which you can either accept or reject

You are wrong.

They can apply endorsements, warranties or reductions in cover but they have to provide reasons why.

When making an underwriting decision they have to prove why they made that decision if questioned.

You are wrong.

They can apply endorsements, warranties or reductions in cover but they have to provide reasons why.

When making an underwriting decision they have to prove why they made that decision if questioned.

No they don't. Every renewal, Insurers send out amendments to their proposed offering for the following year, like you say. The changes will come with your renewal notice. You either accept it or move on to another insurer. You will never see an insurer include 'give us a call and we'll tell you why we're doing it'.

Are you saying you can insist on having the old terms going forward if you demand it? Not a chance. If you want someone to give you the reason why it happening (without any chance of getting the cover back) ask for a supervisor who will give you the standard corporate answer. It won't change anything, but you might feel warm and fuzzy inside

No they don't. Every renewal, Insurers send out amendments to their proposed offering for the following year, like you say. The changes will come with your renewal notice. You either accept it or move on to another insurer. You will never see an insurer include 'give us a call and we'll tell you why we're doing it'.

Are you saying you can insist on having the old terms going forward if you demand it? Not a chance. If you want someone to give you the reason why it happening (without any chance of getting the cover back) ask for a supervisor who will give you the standard corporate answer. It won't change anything, but you might feel warm and fuzzy inside

Where did I say you will get your old offering?

I issue renewals on a daily basis for an insurance company, you do not.

If we are amending cover eg reducing to TPO due to a high volume of claims, deleting flood cover after a flood claim, deleting DoC because they are now a valeter, it has to be issued in writing to the insured.

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Going by your logic, that an insurer can pretty much apply any terms and conditions they want and give no reason for it, then why wouldn't every company reduce someone that's made a claim on car insurance to TPO?

Or reduce their home insurance to fire only after a theft claim?

When terms are being amended then they are obliged to give reasons why.

There has to be an underwriting reason for making an underwriting decision.

There is a reason or at least there should be why the op had his cover reduced and he is entitled to know what that reason is.

If you knew what is required of an actual insurance company you would know this.

If you knew what is required of an actual insurance company you would know this.

There you go again personalising anyone who attempts to correct your inaccuracies. This is yet another one. I think I read somewhere that you posted you have worked in the industry for 7 years. Well, I have worked in insurance for MANY multiples of that and have probably issued more policies and renewals than anyone else on this forum. You don't get to do that if you don't know your stuff.

One thing I can't do, is multi quote on Boards. I'll respond to the rest of your observations in a separate post

• Advertisement

Where did I say you will get your old offering?

You don't know what I do

If we are amending cover eg reducing to TPO due to a high volume of claims, deleting flood cover after a flood claim, deleting DoC because they are now a valeter, it has to be issued in writing to the insured.
    I have already said that the alterations must be with your renewal offering, the reason for it do not

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.
    I can't account for understanding of the situation

Going by your logic, that an insurer can pretty much apply any terms and conditions they want and give no reason for it, then why wouldn't every company reduce someone that's made a claim on car insurance to TPO?
    They could if they wanted to, at renewal and it often happens

Or reduce their home insurance to fire only after a theft claim?
    Yes they can, at renewal

When terms are being amended then they are obliged to give reasons why.
    They are not

There has to be an underwriting reason for making an underwriting decision.
    Of course there is

There is a reason or at least there should be why the op had his cover reduced and he is entitled to know what that reason is.
    There probably is a reason and they may tell him, but they don't have to

Does that help?

Does that help?

You work in a brokers and I know who you were in your previous account.

Issuing documents that insurance companies give you is different from actually underwriting a policy.

As you don't work for an insurance company its understandable that you do not know what is required of them in the era of consumer protection.

You have a hair up your ass about me for some reason.

I've never done anything to you so I'm at a loss as to why you have taken to waging a campaign against me to try and discredit me.

While it's flattering that someone takes such an interest in me I'm tired of it so I will not be responding to you going forward.

People can take my advice or take yours, that's their choice.

Good luck to you.

You work in a brokers and I know who you were in your previous account.

Issuing documents that insurance companies give you is different from actually underwriting a policy.

As you don't work for an insurance company its understandable that you do not know what is required of them in the era of consumer protection.

You have a hair up your ass about me for some reason.

I've never done anything to you so I'm at a loss as to why you have taken to waging a campaign against me to try and discredit me.

While it's flattering that someone takes such an interest in me I'm tired of it so I will not be responding to you going forward.

People can take my advice or take yours, that's their choice.

Good luck to you.

I worked in various Insurance Companies for a total of 18 years in EVERY department there is (except reinsurance) and in various Insurance Brokers for for 15 years. In the brokerage, I developed and brought to market a niche product which became the market leader in Ireland. I was the underwriter (often amending cover at renewal without explaining the valid reason why) I set the premium and settled claims

I don't have a 'hair up my ass' as you put it, but I take exception to the way you personally attack anyone who posts an opinion different to yours, quite often when you are wrong. The condescending tone of your last post is an example. You post many genuinely helpful posts but some are not correct.

Advertisement