Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cycling Lights

Options
  • 09-09-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

apologies if this has already been covered and mods feel free to remove but I am wondering what are the best reasonably priced lights, both front and rear, to get for a road bike at the minute?

I did a search online and selected a Lezyne Strip Drive Pro for the rear, which arrived yesterday from CRC and which I returned today, due to the fact it wouldn't even charge or turn on!!:mad:

Any helpful suggestions and links are much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

There are lots of great lights out there these days, but which ones will be best for you will depend on where you'll be using them and how long they need to last for.

Can you give a bit of info on the type of cycling you'll be doing eg commute on urban roads or early morning spins in the countryside etc.

Rough budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Crocked wrote: »
    There are lots of great lights out there these days, but which ones will be best for you will depend on where you'll be using them and how long they need to last for.

Can you give a bit of info on the type of cycling you'll be doing eg commute on urban roads or early morning spins in the countryside etc.

Rough budget?

Cheers Crocked,

Country roads of Donegal mostly, so not too much urban lighting. Maybe 3 - 4 hours runtime anyway and budget around €40 per light. Had some cheap Cateye but not really that great.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

PaulT21 wrote: »
    I did a search online and selected a Lezyne Strip Drive Pro for the rear, which arrived yesterday from CRC and which I returned today, due to the fact it wouldn't even charge or turn on!!:mad:

these are the ones that sit directly into the charger without a cable right? i hope you had them turned the right way around in the charger?! i've made that mistake more than once where i had them 'charging' overnight only to discover they'd been in the wrong way around all along and were still dead :o

these are the ones that sit directly into the charger without a cable right? i hope you had them turned the right way around in the charger?! i've made that mistake more than once where i had them 'charging' overnight only to discover they'd been in the wrong way around all along and were still dead :o

Cheers mr spuckler,

did see that written down on a few forum's, so tried the light in both directions. Charging light was flashing but still nothing after five hours so gave up and posted it back. Also read that the USB cap had a tendency to fall off so maybe a blessing in disguise:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Cheers mr spuckler,

did see that written down on a few forum's, so tried the light in both directions. Charging light was flashing but still nothing after five hours so gave up and posted it back. Also read that the USB cap had a tendency to fall off so maybe a blessing in disguise:o

you paid more attention than me so :D

i've had no issues with my USB cap but i mainly use it on the aero seat post of my good bike so it doesn't see day to day use.

for day to day / commuting use i have this and the rear equivalent. relatively cheap and very effective. that's as technical as my review gets.

• Advertisement

you paid more attention than me so :D

i've had no issues with my USB cap but i mainly use it on the aero seat post of my good bike so it doesn't see day to day use.

for day to day / commuting use i have this and the rear equivalent. relatively cheap and very effective. that's as technical as my review gets.

Yeah, the problem is that that's another Lezyne and I am the person who tries only to get caught once, mind you not always successfully though!!:)

Deedsie wrote: »
    This is possibly a big stereotype but if I was cycling around the roads of Donegal at night time I wouldn't be skimping on the lights. Some drivers up there are beyond head cases.

Tell me to F Off but better safe than sorry.

your are right Deedsie, we have our fair share of headers but so does everywhere in Ireland:o

But granted lights are important, not just in the evening but all day imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I've used this set on both urban and quiet country back roads. One of the lads I was meeting very early one morning thought I was a motorbike coming around the corner as the front light was so strong. Won't last too long on full beam but easily adjusted on the fly. Best to have a second light as well, a smaller cheaper flasher.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/lezyne-micro-drive-bike-light-set-black

Just looking at the site I'm not sure if it's the 400 or 600 I have, think it's the 400 though.

I've used these as well commuting on urban roads. Both give off good, be seen light. The little knog lights are great as well as backup lights.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/cat-eye-bike-light-set-el130-ld130

If you're going to be doing a lot of hours on the road in dark conditions might also be worth checking out a dynamo wheel/light setup. Rose do good deals on pre-built wheels and the lights all meet German regulations on light shape etc so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Have one on the commuter and it's a great job to not have to worry about recharging or carrying spare batteries etc. The rear light even kinda works likes a brake light by getting brighter when you brake.

Edit: just saw you want to avoid Lezyne, someone else might have a few ideas on similar lights from other brands.

Crocked wrote: »
    I've used this set on both urban and quiet country back roads. One of the lads I was meeting very early one morning thought I was a motorbike coming around the corner as the front light was so strong. Won't last too long on full beam but easily adjusted on the fly. Best to have a second light as well, a smaller cheaper flasher.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/lezyne-micro-drive-bike-light-set-black

Just looking at the site I'm not sure if it's the 400 or 600 I have, think it's the 400 though.

I've used these as well commuting on urban roads. Both give off good, be seen light. The little knog lights are great as well as backup lights.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/cat-eye-bike-light-set-el130-ld130

If you're going to be doing a lot of hours on the road in dark conditions might also be worth checking out a dynamo wheel/light setup. Rose do good deals on pre-built wheels and the lights all meet German regulations on light shape etc so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Have one on the commuter and it's a great job to not have to worry about recharging or carrying spare batteries etc. The rear light even kinda works likes a brake light by getting brighter when you brake.

Edit: just saw you want to avoid Lezyne, someone else might have a few ideas on similar lights from other brands.

Thanks for the ideas Crocked.

probably unfair of me to dis Lezyne after one attempt so might have another look. Seem like good enough lights. I am a poor enough cyclist without a dynamo holding me back ha ha:)

Will have a look at that website though. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Anyone know anything about these spooky-sounding Irish-made (or Irish-designed, not sure which) lights that report any crashes, theft attempts etc, and change light level according to how dark it is where you're riding?

http://seesense.cc/features/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Chuchote wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about these spooky-sounding Irish-made (or Irish-designed, not sure which) lights that report any crashes, theft attempts etc, and change light level according to how dark it is where you're riding?

I have the See.Sense Icon+. I reckon that the number of near misses I've had in the city has dropped dramatically since I got them. I use the A+E flash setting. There's a bit of peace of mind that if you crash then it sends your location to a phone number that you nominate. The alarm is a bit of a gimmick though as you need to be quite near for it to work due to the limitations of bluetooth.

I have the See.Sense Icon+. I reckon that the number of near misses I've had in the city has dropped dramatically since I got them. I use the A+E flash setting. There's a bit of peace of mind that if you crash then it sends your location to a phone number that you nominate. The alarm is a bit of a gimmick though as you need to be quite near for it to work due to the limitations of bluetooth.

Will Bluetooth's limitations become less as more people use it?

Will Bluetooth's limitations become less as more people use it?

Bluetooth has been around for over 20 years. The signal travels only travels between 10-100m and can be blocked walls etc. That's the limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I'm waiting for delivery of the non + version of these. Also have the lezyne strip drive pro and find it s solid light. Very bright on higher settings and no issue with charging.
    Will be using both to make double sure I'm seen!

Alanbt wrote: »
    I'm waiting for delivery of the non + version of these. Also have the lezyne strip drive pro and find it s solid light. Very bright on higher settings and no issue with charging.
    Will be using both to make double sure I'm seem!

Cheers Alanbt

Those lights from See.Sense look great. Maybe I just got a dud Lezyne!! Will have a look around the bike shops again tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Good bike set front and rear cree led?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Phil.x wrote: »

These just dazzle drivers and IMO are not safe or suitable for use on open road. Might not be what you want to hear but cars have to dim/dip lights to avoid dazzling oncoming motorists and in areas where there is street lighting so the same should apply to these.

What's the difference between the + and non+ versions? Why have your near misses dropped, do you think?

• Advertisement

What's the difference between the + and non+ versions? Why have your near misses dropped, do you think?

The + versions are brighter, that's the difference

Visibility is the reason I think near misses have dropped. I obviously don't know what is going on behind me but I've had less cars pull out or across in front of me. I even think more cars give me more room when they are stopped in traffic and I'm filtering down the left side of them because the flashing really stands out in their mirrors.

I actually asked quite a few people in work what they thought the most noticeable setting was and a+e was the clear winner. It seems to be working. Of course it could be coincidence that there are less near misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    These just dazzle drivers and IMO are not safe or suitable for use on open road. Might not be what you want to hear but cars have to dim/dip lights to avoid dazzling oncoming motorists and in areas where there is street lighting so the same should apply to these.

They're great for cycling on the quays at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

But causes inconvenience to others!

At 3800 lumens, it's probably for off road use only. 400/500 lumens is quite enough for any type of cycling. In urban areas, 100 is probably enough.

But causes inconvenience to others!

At 3800 lumens, it's probably for off road use only. 400/500 lumens is quite enough for any type of cycling. In urban areas, 100 is probably enough.

Totally agree.3800 way too bright for road use

It just seems boorish to dazzle other road users on busy streets or highways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Lux is where it's at. Get something with a proper reflector that puts the light where it's needed, not in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Lux is where it's at. Get something with a proper reflector that puts the light where it's needed, not in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

But lights are mostly sold by lumen, not by lux. I don't know how to find out the lux of lights, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Are you trolling ? It is inconsiderate to use them on any road at night and on a road with street lighting - just plain stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But lights are mostly sold by lumen, not by lux. I don't know how to find out the lux of lights, do you?

Well designed bike lights should be sold in lux.
    http://en.bumm.de

Advertisement