Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cycling Lights

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Can't see lux on those seesense ones, but I'm probably looking straight at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    Well designed bike lights should be sold in lux....
    The problem is that many people including myself, don't know how to rate Lux. If I see a light advertised as 30 Lux, it means nothing to me. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The problem is that many people including myself, don't know how to rate Lux. If I see a light advertised as 30 Lux, it means nothing to me. :o

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Stupid question alert :o how do I know what 'lumen' my lights are? they came with the bike - the front one says 0.5 Watt white LED (smart white 1.5m Led). I don't see a brand name on it though.

Firedance wrote: »
    Stupid question alert :o how do I know what 'lumen' my lights are? they came with the bike - the front one says 0.5 Watt white LED (smart white 1.5m Led). I don't see a brand name on it though.
    I don't know but if they came with the bike, and don't have any branding, they are unlikely to be greater than 100 Lumens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Firedance wrote: »

Depends.

Lumens and Watts quantity power. If it LED then about 30 lumens.

See here
    http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/light/lumen-to-watt-calculator.htm

Lux is a measure of light falling on a surface at a given distance from source. It's ALL about the beam pattern.

Google road cc website 2016 light review for comparison beam shots.

The eye is a complicated device though and the environment is as important as anything. The aperture of your eye will be very different on Sally Gap versus city centre. I regularly walk in countryside at night without any light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Are you trolling ? It is inconsiderate to use them on any road at night and on a road with street lighting - just plain stupid!

It's just as inconsiderate when a car can't see you as you have a very small and dim lights and shout and roar at him when he nearly runs over you -that's just stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Phil.x wrote: »
    It's just as inconsiderate when a car can't see you as you have a very small and dim lights and shout and roar at him when he nearly runs over you -that's just stupid!!

Blinding drivers is hazardous to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

So some would say the perfect balance is lights that are bright enough for any car to see you but not bright enough so as to impair a drivers vision? or to put a number on it, lights ~100 lumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You are mixing up driving without due care and attention with being inconsiderate. Both are wrong! As a cyclist there is no benefit to be had from being deliberately inconsiderate to any road user.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    So some would say the perfect balance is lights that are bright enough for any car to see you but not bright enough so as to impair a drivers vision? or to put a number on it, lights ~100 lumen.

A general car headlight is between 700 -1100 lumen.
    A modern bmw/audi/Marc etc, HID headlamps are 3500+ and both are for one light only.

Why should a vulnerable cyclist be hidden in the dark with a measly 100lumen minuscule light.

Post what you want but at least I'll be seen when cycling on the one-way quays and hopefully stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's not just the brightness of the light. The angle of the light is also important.

IMO BIcycle lights should be tilted down towards the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A modern bmw/audi/Marc etc, HID headlamps are 3500+ and both are for one light only.

Why should a vulnerable cyclist be hidden in the dark with a measly 100lumen minuscule light.

Post what you want but at least I'll be seen when cycling on the one-way quays and hopefully stay alive.

Cars have to go through NCTs to ensure that their headlights are angled correctly so as to not cause a danger to other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

The simultaneously hilarious and tragic part of this is that in one way traffic such as on the quays, a ridiculous front light won't actually make you that visible to traffic approaching from behind/overtaking, so unless you expect to be filtering or overtaking a lot, you are very misguided in that view.

cython wrote: »
    The simultaneously hilarious and tragic part of this is that in one way traffic such as on the quays, a ridiculous front light won't actually make you that visible to traffic approaching from behind/overtaking, so unless you expect to be filtering or overtaking a lot, you are very misguided in that view.

You've obvious never seen this light in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

You've obvious never seen this light in action.

Thankfully, but I would also imagine you have not driven up behind a cyclist equipped with it either to quantify it. On the other hand, I have seen and driven behind several similar models (as crew on round the clock endurance races) and while they may illuminate the road in front, they simply do not draw attention to the cyclist from behind. Hell, the indicator LED on the back of most of them drew more attention than the beam, and unless it's attached to a helmet, that isn't visible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Deedsie wrote: »
    My current lights are on the way out. Anyone recommend a good quality usb charged rear light?

See.sense icon or icon+. Their Ace is out next year but I’m not sure you can hold on that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have the battery version of the Lunar R2, which I like a lot. There's a USB version. I don't know anything about it, and one Amazon review says it doesn't use micro-USB, but the older standard. Don't know whether that's true, because I don't own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

See.sense icon or icon+. Their Ace is out next year but I’m not sure you can hold on that long.

Seconded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Grassey wrote: »
    Seconded.

Thirded. They are excellent lights.
    New Ace was/is great value for the set on kickstarter, obviously a wait for those though

Deedsie wrote: »
    .... Anyone recommend a good quality usb charged rear light?
    Lezyne Strip Drive Pro 300

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-strip-drive-pro-300l-rear-light/rp-prod163283

Advertisement