Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm fkin delighted everyone is a fitness expert and dietitian all of a sudden

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Most cereals are, joys of free market economics

What we need is more cereals from the collectives comrade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have you any good routines or advice to share. Serious question.
    It's right there in his post. Consistency. For 12 years.

Simple yet difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Dietitian is a protected term. You have to have a science degree to be one, minimum. There is only one undergrad degree in the republic with only 20 places each year. (A postgrad in UCD with another 20 places has just started)

The majority of properly qualified dietitians are working in our hospitals. They are deciding what needs to go into the feed to make sure the person who has had a stroke and has to be fed through a tube, is meeting their requirements. They are making sure the person who has cystic fibrosis is maintaining their weight so when they are called in the middle of the night for a lung transplant they won't be refused because their weight is too low. They are deciding what goes into the drip for the person in ICU who has to be fed directly into the blood. It is very rare to find a dietitian with a fitness blog/in a gym/with a pretty insta or even in the media.

People are entitled of course to go to whomever they want. if there wasn't a need there this whole fitness industry wouldn't be so lucrative. However, it really annoys me when I get lumped in with the meat head down in the gym who did a one day online course and who is downing protein drinks like tequila shots. I rarely would give people advice on weight loss, in fact the majority of time I am telling very sick people how to gain weight (fat and muscle) When it comes to weight loss I try not to let it bother me, however when I hear that some "fitness expert" is telling people that a shot of wheatgrass a day will cure their cancer my blood boils.

(Explainer here on the different names of nutrition people here
    https://www.indi.ie/what-is-a-dietitian.html)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It was bound to happen when all our needs are taken care of by modem society, and all you energy is not taken up by trying to provide food and shelter for yourself and your family, individuals have taken to worshipping their own bodies and seeing themselves as a project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like lifting all the things

An "absurd" activity apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Dietitian is a protected term. You have to have a science degree to be one, minimum. There is only one undergrad degree in the republic with only 20 places each year. (A postgrad in UCD with another 20 places has just started)

The majority of properly qualified dietitians are working in our hospitals. They are deciding what needs to go into the feed to make sure the person who has had a stroke and has to be fed through a tube, is meeting their requirements. They are making sure the person who has cystic fibrosis is maintaining their weight so when they are called in the middle of the night for a lung transplant they won't be refused because their weight is too low. They are deciding what goes into the drip for the person in ICU who has to be fed directly into the blood. It is very rare to find a dietitian with a fitness blog/in a gym/with a pretty insta or even in the media.

People are entitled of course to go to whomever they want. if there wasn't a need there this whole fitness industry wouldn't be so lucrative. However, it really annoys me when I get lumped in with the meat head down in the gym who did a one day online course and who is downing protein drinks like tequila shots. I rarely would give people advice on weight loss, in fact the majority of time I am telling very sick people how to gain weight (fat and muscle) When it comes to weight loss I try not to let it bother me, however when I hear that some "fitness expert" is telling people that a shot of wheatgrass a day will cure their cancer my blood boils.

I've just read the whole thread and am amazed it took until now for someone to point out that a dietitian doesn't really exist for weight loss. As the poster said, they'll generally work with sick people on helping them with their diet to get better.

For people who don't have any major complications and would like to lose weight, you can do a little research yourself on-line and chat to a few people who have an interest in health and nutrition (and might have done the research already) and come up with a suitable plan to achieve your goals. There are pitfalls like overdoing it with the exercise or eating things which you thought were healthy but are not (like people thinking special K is a healthy cereal), but if you make enough positive changes you'll see a positive effect.

Most people already know a lot of what they do is unhealthy anyway. Alcohol, chips, dorritos, pizza, no exercise, eating at 9 o'clock at night. For the majority of people, you know a huge amount of what you're doing wrong anyway and it doesn't take 4 years in college studying dietetics to work out that eating chips won't help you lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yeah yeah, but gym shake cock rant rave etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yeah yeah, but gym shake cock rant rave etc.

eat less, move more.

I should patent that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

But the opposite to what has been said in the original post also happens a lot. To anybody looking at me, it's quite obvious I go to the gym. I'm natural so I'm not a huge monster like some of the dudes on the PEDS. But I'm close to maxing out as big as a natural lifter could get. Through a combo of good genetics, years of hard work in the gym, a diet that's about 90% strict and having the dark skin always helps accentuate definition.

Reading that you'd probably think I wear tight shirts and never shut up about the gym. But I'm the complete opposite. I don't dress to show off anything as I'm in a suit when out of the house mostly and I never bring up and talk about the gym or push advice down friends throats. I do it for me and it's a hobby that I gravitated to after injuries stopped me playing sports.

But I'm constantly asked for advice on nutrition, exercises, what would someone need to do to have my physique, how long would it take, can you do me up a routine, can you work out a diet plan for me, can I go to the gym with you and you act like my PT, what supplements will allow me to gain muscle, same for burning fat, etc etc. Not to mention the jokes about how I must be on the juice. Despite my friends knowing I didn't just explode in size. It's been a gradual process over 12 years. I get some of the above questions from complete strangers also like when out at a bar or some event. Also if I'm just out and about and standing beside people. Like on the subway, waiting in line somewhere etc. Groups of guys always vocally turn the topic to being in the gym. Like they feel compelled to talk about it among themselves because they in the presence of someone quite big.

Just a perspective from the other side of coin. Stop annoying the hell outta me with gym shít. Outside of my workouts and meals. I don't particularly wanna be talking about it. I won't no PT or nutritionist.

Do you also wear a cape?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Grayson wrote: »
    eat less, move more.

I should patent that.

Lunch Less Move More would keep with the alliterative theme. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Grayson wrote: »
    eat less, move more.

I should patent that.
    Don't lie when you can sit.
    Don't sit when you can stand.
    Don't stand when you can walk.
    Don't walk when you can run.

My (very) old PE teacher used urge us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

blue note wrote: »

I've just read the whole thread and am amazed it took until now for someone to point out that a dietitian doesn't really exist for weight loss. As the poster said, they'll generally work with sick people on helping them with their diet to get better.
    Plenty of dietitians working in weight loss! I worked in the national weight management clinic with a whole team of them. Very talented bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Those would be nutritionists, which is not a protected title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

They're dietitians. HSE doesn't hire nutritionists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

eating at 9 o'clock at night.

Nothing wrong with that... if you're going to bed at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Nothing wrong with that... if you're going to bed at 12.

What are you doing to work off the meal between 9 and 12? If you're just in relaxing for the evening and eat your main meal at 9 and go to bed at 12 then I'd say it is not ideal, certainly if you're trying to lose weight. A bowl of soup at 9 is probably grand.

I had a glass of wine and a packet of bacon fries at 9 myself last night. That probably wasn't ideal :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What are you doing to work off the meal between 9 and 12? If you're just in relaxing for the evening and eat your main meal at 9 and go to bed at 12 then I'd say it is not ideal, certainly if you're trying to lose weight. A bowl of soup at 9 is probably grand.

I had a glass of wine and a packet of bacon fries at 9 myself last night. That probably wasn't ideal :P

Depends on how many calories you consumed overall that day ......... if you eat a big meal containing 1,000 calories just before bed but you've only taken in 400 calories during the day then yes, you will still lose weight.

That's an extreme example obviously but the point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Sky King wrote: »
    For a while there i was wondering how to go about eating a bowl of fuking salad or running on a treadmill.

Here was me thinking 'superfood' was some unscientific bullsh!t meaningless term! And for a while I thought that people had to go to university and study sports science, physiotherapy or dietetics to issue this kind of advice to people.

Boy was I wrong!

Now thanks to the internet all i have to do is log on to youtube or insta-groan or check my facebook newsfeed any time day or night to get sage lifestyle council from a selection of internet sensations whose qualifications include (but are not limited to):

- 'owning a health-food store'
    - 'being a model'

or indeed

- 'being some random fukker at the gym'

.... all of which are more than enough to satisfy my exacting requirements as someone who should be giving me diet and exercise advise.

Yet everywhere I look I see chubsters. With such an unprecedented abundance of excellent, sound, never EVER contradictory advice available online, I ask you, people of boards, what the hell gives ?

These people would sicken ur ole.Most of them are in there 40s and never did a thing up until 5 years ago.I ran for over 20 years(not costantly!) But never gave out this expert advice that is given out these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

bgr123 wrote: »
    These people would sicken ur ole.Most of them are in there 40s and never did a thing up until 5 years ago.I ran for over 20 years(not costantly!) But never gave out this expert advice that is given out these days.

Just like Forrest Gump!!! :)

• Advertisement

Tragic story emerging in a Belgian Court case...couple allegedly had their child on a gluten free diet...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/baby-gluten-free-diet-dies-undeweight-less-10-pound-lbs-lucas-beveren-belgium-a7740161.html

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

Tragic story emerging in a Belgian Court case...couple allegedly had their child on a gluten free diet...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/baby-gluten-free-diet-dies-undeweight-less-10-pound-lbs-lucas-beveren-belgium-a7740161.html

The poor child. How could the parents be so stupid? For people to work in a branch of the "health" industry to do this is unbelievable. Pure negligence imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Paleo diet? You're a cock.
    Gluten intolerant? You're a cock.
    Working out? You're a cock.
    Spinach and kale? You're a cock.
    Boiled chicken and "nutrien drinks" - you are an especial cock.

Run 50km a week, eat more fruit and veg, it's not rocket science.

That's why people eat spinach and kale for goodness sake. You're all taking the cynicism a bit too far there.
    They only call them superfoods as a label to guide people who want nutritionally rich foods and don't know what to choose.
    Are you a fat, lazy cock?

Kale crisps are lovely.

Why all the sensationalist posts?

As with all things in life there are eejits who take it too far but most people are moderate when it comes to healthy food and lifestyle.

Having said that I had to laugh when my friend told me about her mother finding out about gluten intolerance and deciding that must be why my friend was such a short child..the mother had heard that Liga rusks were gluten free and fed her nothing but rusks. She says this went on for a year!

The worst is when you get ignorant people saying "eat more protein", eating 5 chicken breast a day. So ignorantly selfish. If we all aimed to eat as much meat as them the amount of chickens etc. that would have to die would be immense. protein is way more expensive to produce in energy terms for the planet. Vain self-absorbed meatheads don't care about other people though, all they care about is 8 percent body fat and looking "swole" for instagram.

Also, newsflash: resistance exercises are fun and not boring and therefore people who are built are not admirable. Cardio is boring and unpleasant and so people who do it over resistance deserve to be admired way more,

Advertisement