Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a laptop, advice needed please

• 09-09-2016 4:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a laptop as the title suggests but I'm pretty clueless as to what spec I'd need for my uses.

I'm in college so general browsing online, presentations, watching films ect.
    I'd like to edit videos from my action camera, 1080p, and maybe create some highlights.
    Some light gaming e.g. total war, age of empires, portal, some steam games, nothing too hardware demanding though.

My budget would be somewhere around the 500 mark, preferably lower though. I don't really know if that is enough for what I'm looking for though.
    I have no qualms about buying refurbished if one would be a better option.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

The small research I've done tells me I'd need an i5 or higher and an SSD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You're not going to get an SSD with any reasonable capacity for your budget. You'd be lucky to find a current i5 and 8GB of RAM, with whatever capacity HDD you can get. You might struggle to find a 1080p screen too. Dell have decent offerings in the low/mid range laptops, and a 10% off deal at the moment. Worth a look at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You're not going to get an SSD with any reasonable capacity for your budget. You'd be lucky to find a current i5 and 8GB of RAM, with whatever capacity HDD you can get. You might struggle to find a 1080p screen too. Dell have decent offerings in the low/mid range laptops, and a 10% off deal at the moment. Worth a look at least!

This HP has 6th gen i5/8gb/256gb SSD €629/PC World

Even with the 10% off, the cheapest Dell is around the same or slightly more on their online store.

This HP has 6th gen i5/8gb/256gb SSD €629/PC World

Even with the 10% off, the cheapest Dell is around the same or slightly more on their online store.

Good to see SSD's are finally coming down in price, and entering lower end machines. But even that machine is pushing the OP's budget. It does seem like a good deal all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Good to see SSD's are finally coming down in price, and entering lower end machines. But even that machine is pushing the OP's budget. It does seem like a good deal all the same.

ah yeah, I know it's above budget, but not by a huge amount.

And being realistic, I don't think you'll find a 6th gen i5+decent RAM+SSD combo anywhere for €500

Actually, same spec from HP online store @ £479/ c.€570. Presume you'd be able to ParcelMotel that across.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Didn't get notifications for your posts though and ended up going with http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-P50-C-18K-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-256GB-Win-10-15-6-Laptop-TS56-/361645119110?nav=SEARCH

16gbs ram
    i5 6th gen
    256ssd
    Nvidia graphics card (low end but better than regular Intel graphics)
    1080p screen

Offered 400 pounds for it and got it, it'll work out at 485 euro including postage.
    It's refurbished but it does come with a 3 month warranty.
    I'm really happy with it on paper so hopefully it doesn't let me down when I receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

JackD9922 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Didn't get notifications for your posts though and ended up going with http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-P50-C-18K-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-256GB-Win-10-15-6-Laptop-TS56-/361645119110?nav=SEARCH

16gbs ram
    i5 6th gen
    256ssd
    Nvidia graphics card (low end but better than regular Intel graphics)
    1080p screen

Offered 400 pounds for it and got it, it'll work out at 485 euro including postage.
    It's refurbished but it does come with a 3 month warranty.
    I'm really happy with it on paper so hopefully it doesn't let me down when I receive it.

Are you sure that's an SSD? Doesn't mention anything about it being a SSD in the specs.

Are you sure that's an SSD? Doesn't mention anything about it being a SSD in the specs.

In fact it specifically mentions a HDD. But it is a strange capacity for a HDD so who knows. And even if it is an SSD, god only know what brand it is. It could be a risky one.

The ad is lacking in info about what spec you're getting. I'd always be wary about these kind of ebay sellers. Be careful OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

In fact it specifically mentions a HDD. But it is a strange capacity for a HDD so who knows. And even if it is an SSD, god only know what brand it is. It could be a risky one.

The ad is lacking in info about what spec you're getting. I'd always be wary about these kind of ebay sellers. Be careful OP.

It did come with a 256GB SSD configuration so I would imagine that's the same as the refurbished one.

I was definitely wary. The ad is lacking in detail and the company name StockMustGo doesn't inspire too much confidence.
    But the laptops specs are impressive so assuming in refurbishment they didn't switch SSD or RAM it should be good to go (I read somewhere about it being Samsung).
    A previous buyer of the laptop left feedback and he was happy with it.
    Also, I messaged the seller about the ssd/hdd confusion and yes indeed, there's an ssd in there.

I reckon the purchase will be fine, if not I'll post about my troubles here!

Thought I'd post a 3 month update!

So my warranty is almost up it seems but it sure doesn't matter.

I love the laptop. Currently typing from it right now.
    Fast, powerful, big screen, good battery life.
    Absolutely no problems.

Checking the same ebay link, it seems they're gone.
    But if it ever comes back in stock I'd recommend them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement