Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Done a thousand times but another new bike thread, 3500+

Options
  • 09-09-2016 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

How's it going folks, I know these threads have been done to death but I'm looking at a new bike. Already have a good bike, Scott cr1 pro with di2 and a nice TT bike so I'm looking for something a little special. Have a good budget and am open to frame only and building from there, have a good few bits and pieces around so could piece together from frame up.

Looking for something a little special and different, not really into giant's, new trek madone isn't bad but not pushed on it. Looking for something more towards sport/racing geometry than endurance or touring. Prob looking more at carbon than TI or aluminum.

Like the canyon aeroad, specialized tarmac, colnago c60. So a wide range really, makes the decision a bit harder. C60 is probably a little out of budget unless I could get it on sale.

So the wise people of boards cycling, I've already decided the answer is a new bike, just what new bike!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Neighbour just bought a canyon cf slx and I really can't see how you could better it or even come close to it in terms of spec. There's nothing you would change on it. For 4300 I think it was with sram 22, ksyrium slr wheels, aero bars, and 6.3 kilo or something. It's fantastic value for money.

No other manufacturer comes close. With most other brands 4 grand ish gets you ultegra and a mavic cosmic elites or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Daroxtar wrote: »

That's a delicious piece of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

An auld Colnago would be fantastic.

But if you like your Scott, why not get another?

I've got an Addict 20 and it's a cracker. Think it was the guts of your budget. Friend of mine has a similarly spec'd Foil as well
    and it's a lovely bike, it's probably sufficiently different to your current Scott....plus you could win Paris-Roubaix!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Some nice bikes there alright. Forgot about wilier, that's the type of bike I'd be looking for, something a little different. The cheaper dogma looks nice in person too. Used to have an Eddie merckx and liked it but not mad on the newer ones they have out. Not mad on the cannondale, I know they get great reviews and ate good quality but just don't do it for me. That's what this bike has to be, something I look at and want to cycle. The best value bike and best reviewed bike aren't always this bike, otherwise it wud be canyon without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

C60 frameset is under €3.5k on Salden.nl above.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he did say €3500+, but i think you're taking liberties with the +.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP said they want something a bit different. i suggest a woodelo.

• Advertisement

That would be stretching the budget a bit alright! Anyone have any experience of ritte frames? Look well online but never seen one in the flesh. The 2016 cannondales look very nice too, coming around to them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

How bout a Feska? Gorgeous and rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Probably an "Old Age" thing but I've decided that my next "big investment" bike will be a titanium frame and custom built - the plan is that I will keep it for ever! Maybe Lynskey disc frame with 11 speed mechanical Dura Ace and Dura Ace wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

How about a Fondriest TF2?

Great bike, race geometry but not to agressive. Also not many of them on the road in comparison to other brands so you will have something differnt but still a great responsive bike.

http://www.fondriestbici.com/bike.php?id=11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭G1032

greened wrote: »
    How about a Fondriest TF2?

Great bike, race geometry but not to agressive. Also not many of them on the road in comparison to other brands so you will have something differnt but still a great responsive bike.

http://www.fondriestbici.com/bike.php?id=11

Google translated the bike description from Italian to English

Last line.....'And 'the ideal bike to shoot and surprise the opponent'

He'll certainly be surprised at the sight of a bike shooting at him.
    Some bang for your buck there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

Ha had not noticed that. picked a bike yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Nothing decided yet. Will.more than likely be an aero bike or a c60 though I reckon. Might save up another bit and try get the c60. There was a good price on a giant propel frame in a shop I know and woild leave me with cash to put etap on it so a tough choice.

Nearly harder to know what to choose because I'm not 100% sure on what exactly I want. The new orbeas are nice and the ritte frames look nice. Still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,060 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Something different and special would be an actual bicycle used by a pro. Would not be new of course. I often wondered would it be possible to buy a used Tour de France bicycle. Bit difficult to find anything on Google. Anyway I think this is the Canyon German site selling what they say are used pro bikes. If they are the real thing I'm surprised at how low some of them were priced from new (low being a relative term).

https://www.canyon.com/en/factory-outlet/original-pro-bikes/#category=Movistar

http://road.cc/content/news/126267-canyon-sell-team-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

scott.s wrote: »

Saw one of these on the road, they stand out and look class
    Something different and special would be an actual bicycle used by a pro. Would not be new of course. I often wondered would it be possible to buy a used Tour de France bicycle. Bit difficult to find anything on Google. Anyway I think this is the Canyon German site selling what they say are used pro bikes. If they are the real thing I'm surprised at how low some of there were priced from new (low being a relative term).

Think this crowd are Sandyford based:
    http://www.kinetixproducts.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Would you consider a bespoke built frame or bike.

Check out saffron frameworks. They are London based and as such are probably expensive but their builds gallery shows you what is possible with imagination (and money). If you went down this route you could end up with a truly special bike. I'm sure there must be some Irish frame and bike makers who could help you.

Right so to update this a bit.

Went and looked at a few cannondales and was pleasantly surprised with how they looked in the flesh. Ended up ordering a Supersix evo full bike from the uk and have it stripped and ready for parts now. Sram etap shifters, dura ace crank, zipp bars and stem with fizik saddle.

Wheels will more than likely be after christmas, leaning towards Mavic's with the exalith braking surface but unsure of the deeper cosmics or just the standard depth.

The C60 will have to wait but at least when I do (eventually!) get it I'll have the parts to put on it. Thanks for all the help folks, much appreciated.

Advertisement