Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blog/website/online store and privacy

Options
  • 09-09-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,

I would like to start a blog and online store in the future, but one thing that is holding me back is concern about my personal privacy. I do not want to use my real name and address in any of contact forms, emails and online store. I don't want any freak to stalk me or my family.

Do you have any advises how to protect privacy when you have an online business?

Thanks,

Sammy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Never heard that as a reason for not giving it a go before! The chances of it happening are just so remote it's not worth considering. Unless you're doing something weird that's going to naturally attract them you're unlikely to pop up on the crazies radar.

If you really think you are interesting enough to pick up a stalker then there are hosts who will have your info hidden on the whois directory for an extra fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sammy07 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I would like to start a blog and online store in the future, but one thing that is holding me back is concern about my personal privacy. I do not want to use my real name and address in any of contact forms, emails and online store. I don't want any freak to stalk me or my family.

Do you have any advises how to protect privacy when you have an online business?

Thanks,

Sammy
    fairly sure Most customers just want good service and problems resolved rather than stalking random small business owners with hyperactive imaginations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Blogging (relatively) anonymously is fairly straightforward, as others mentioned just use a domain registrar with Whois/privacy-protection services.

For an online store your company name and/or registered business name will lead back to you at some point. Even if you don't publish those details on your site, those details are likely to be loosely revealed by your payment processor/invoices/receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graham wrote: »
    For an online store your company name and/or registered business name will lead back to you at some point. Even if you don't publish those details on your site, those details are likely to be loosely revealed by your payment processor/invoices/receipts.

If you live in Ireland and you are going to trade under anything except your own name, then you need to register your trading name with the CRO.

If an on-line stalker was sufficiently determined they could find you.

But the reality is that the vast majority don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think that as a business owner in this country you have to accept that you will need to cede some of your rights to privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Having had an eCommerce business for several years without issue, I agree with the other posters - this is not really an issue to be concerned about. Personally, it has always been my opinion that I would never purchase from a site that didn't have an 'About Us' page (unless they were a reputable or international brand or shop) and listed a contact phone number, just in case you had any issues with an order. An email should also be posted. Your site is just the same as any shopfront in town, someone owns it so why hide behind your pc?

As another poster mentioned, you'll be registered with the CRO so while most details won't be listed on that site, I believe an address will be.

I'd strongly urge you to include a phone number on the site (buy a separate mobile or use Blueface to get a 'separate landline') and I would insist on having an email address - keep this for business only and you should really not have any problems. Best of luck and don't be worried! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Yes, you might be over-rating yourself here just a shade, or are just a natural worrier ;) Just get on with your business and maybe take precautions against stalkers when you become a Hollywood star or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

One day I hope to be successful enough to have a stalker then I'll know I've made it! When your email address starts to hit the lists you'll be hoping you run into a crazy just so checking your emails becomes more interesting!

Advertisement