Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scum

Options
  • 09-09-2016 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

This word is throwing around a lot lately, With everyone described as scum at one point or another ,from governments to dole claimants and now to bus strikers, Is there really any need for it ? I find it quite digusting name to call any one and certainly wouldn't take it of anyone if said to me personally, why is it allowed to go on here ?

Definition

It is hard to define the word, but it is basically used to describe someone so disgraceful that they are seen as the lowest form of life. "Worthlessness", "waste of skin", "dirt". "Nothing". Far worse than most other insults, where the victim is often just referred to as genetalia.

The fact that "scum" is a non-swear, and seen as perfectly acceptable English, makes it even more demeaning and offensive. If you are condemned as a "****" or a "****tard", then you are simply being attacked with cliché profanity, used spontaneously and with no particular venom or thought. "Scum", however, is usually only used in exclusive conditions where it is the only word for the job, and makes the victim feel like the lowest of the low.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Why is it allowed to go on? Seriously? I wouldn't normally take note of a PC type post of feeling such offence over a term, but the word is a perfectly fine description which does not target a gender, race or is an explitive. It's allowed to go on because there is nothing in it to offend. It's akin to asking rocks to be banned due to their offensive nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This word is throwing around a lot lately, With everyone described as scum at one point or another ,from governments to dole claimants and now to bus strikers, Is there really any need for it ? I find it quite digusting name to call any one and certainly wouldn't take it of anyone if said to me personally, why is it allowed to go on here ?

Definition

It is hard to define the word, but it is basically used to describe someone so disgraceful that they are seen as the lowest form of life. "Worthlessness", "waste of skin", "dirt". "Nothing". Far worse than most other insults, where the victim is often just referred to as genetalia.

The fact that "scum" is a non-swear, and seen as perfectly acceptable English, makes it even more demeaning and offensive. If you are condemned as a "****" or a "****tard", then you are simply being attacked with cliché profanity, used spontaneously and with no particular venom or thought. "Scum", however, is usually only used in exclusive conditions where it is the only word for the job, and makes the victim feel like the lowest of the low.

Seriously? :confused:

This has to stop. Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

We don't really have a list now as it's up to moderator discretion. The thinking at the time was it was an over used term and it wasn't really needed, and lowered the tone of the debate.

We had a zero tolerance policy on those terms and tbh, it was a bit cringe worthy carding every single instance of it. I'm not a fan of that policy on the site but there are cases when it is warranted.

Overall, it's best left to moderator discretion. If it's on a ban list it becomes modding for the sake of modding and rules lawyers will have a field day.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pelvis Parsley & GreatDefector - Posts deleted.
    Contribute constructively, or don't post at all.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Context is everything, always. Blanket banning words is completely contrary to the spirit of language.

Given I'm still on a bit of an EP buzz, I'll just drop James Murphy's self-deprecating lines in here, lines that you would presumably like to see disallowed on the site:

We are North American scum
    We are North Americans
    We are North American scum
    We love North America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Its a word, a derogatory term sure and some might not like it but if you ban it there are other terms that can be used to get round it, "pond life" for one.
    If someone wants to use a derogatory term to describe someone or group there are plenty of ways to do it and banning words wont stop that.
    Not a mod and don't propose to be one and indeed have enjoyed being warned a few times for being over zealous in my posts, I imagine its the overall content and context of posts that have to be considered and not the use of single words or terms included in them?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Maybe we should ban all negative words?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Censorship's bad, mmmkay?

What about "filth"?
    What about "thugs" given the recent link to racism?
    Scumbag.. there's another one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

Is it okay to say yer man 'Je Suis Derek' is scum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Maybe we should ban all negative words?

Both 'ban' and 'negative' are negative words.

You might have something here...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Maybe we should unallow all ungood words

*twitch*

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Crimethink is double plus ungood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Silly to ban words imo. You just end up annoying people who are receiving cards for what is a very minor issue. I would hope there are no forums with forbidden words these days.

Got a card back in the day for describing a Limerick crime family as scumbags. All it achieved was driving me away from that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Do you not think its getting thrown around to much ?

Bus drivers=scum
    luas drivers=scum
    Gerry adams=scum
    enda Kenny=scum
    mary harny=scum
    mods here =scum
    Manchester utd fans=scum
    Dublin fans=scum
    unemployed,unmarraided mothers,addicts,lefties,righties,middlies, yis are all scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Definition

You OK petal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Do you not think its getting thrown around to much ?

Bus drivers=scum
    luas drivers=scum
    Gerry adams=scum
    enda Kenny=scum
    mary harny=scum
    mods here =scum
    Manchester utd fans=scum
    Dublin fans=scum
    unemployed,unmarraided mothers,addicts,lefties,righties,middlies, yis are all scum.

Forums have rules.
    Most forums will not permit attacks on groups of people.

Banning words is stupid.

If I'm not allowed to call Enda scum, i might call him slimey, a lowlife, lowest of the low, sub-human, sad and creepy, offal, excrement, like something scraped from the depths of a pond, etc. Can't ban all those words and terms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

lawred2 wrote: »
    You OK petal?

Thanks hon ,i fine just a bit emotional xoxo

Tin Roofer wrote: »
    Is it okay to say yer man 'Je Suis Derek' is scum?

And his term for Michael D, "midget parasite", that's a good derogatory term!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

antix80 wrote: »
    Censorship's bad, mmmkay?

What about "filth"?
    What about "thugs" given the recent link to racism?
    Scumbag.. there's another one

sure might as well throw in muppet, as it refers to somebody being stupid etc, you don't want to cal somebody stupid or in anyway suggest it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,074 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or suggest they're a puppet or have a fist up their wazoo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's banned in Soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's banned in Soccer

Thought it might be.

I don't think there's a greater concentration of sensitive Sallys anywhere else on the site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

Eamondomc wrote: »
    And his term for Michael D, "midget parasite", that's a good derogatory term!

You mean Michael D. Hobbit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The issue here is the site can restrict the use of the word not the sentiment.

Banning a word will cause the 'offenders' to use a different, less 'currently offensive' word but it will soon take on the same meaning and the 'professional ofendees' will call for that to be banned also. Ever decreasing circles.

It wasn't that long ago that the words 'gay', 'knacker', etc. had completely innocent meanings. Now they are taboo and offensive.

Society evolves and people who seem intent in finding stuff to be offended by will continue to do so to the detriment of the normal people who just want to get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

7 posts deleted for going off topic. This is a thread about the use of the term "scum" and possibly the related issue of the banning of words in general. It is not a thread to raise issues with mod actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Context as always, I figure. Not much point banning words, especially words that aren't swearing. I'd card someone for calling another poster scum (obviously!), but after that, I tend to leave it be (unless it's a particularly sensitive thread for some reason or another). I don't really like the casual way it's tossed around for "anyone the poster doesn't, at this moment in time, like very much", but that's how people talk.

Its funny though how it looks and it is regarded as the lowest insult if someone is branded scum.
    Then people on here can bandy it about when talking of people or groups outside of here, but call a poster on here it and its a banning offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Its funny though how it looks and it is regarded as the lowest insult if someone is branded scum.
    Then people on here can bandy it about when talking of people or groups outside of here, but call a poster on here it and its a banning offence?

That would fall under the general rule of "attack the post and not the poster" and of course "no personal abuse" rather than a result of that word in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Thought it might be.

I don't think there's a greater concentration of sensitive Sallys anywhere else on the site.

It's banned in Soccer for a good reason; it's a derogatory term for MUFC fans.

Its use there would be along the same childish lines as other words/terms that are banned from Soccer to try and keep the tone more mature than pretty much any other football forum on the Internet.

Advertisement