Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's involved in this bit of DIY?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'd like to do a bit of TLC to my daily commute. It's a triple chainring - I think the inner ring is bent, and while I can cycle in certain gears I'm not getting full range,

It's a shimano octalink crankset - i should be able to replace the inner chainring?

Bike is about 5 years old, so everything will be well worn into itself

Will I need to replace the chain also?

Will the whole thing be out of kilter with a new chainring?

Is this the kind of job the LBS doesn't want to know about?

Should I turn my weekender into a commuter and buy a new bike!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Would you not manage on the other 2 rings? (unless the Angliru is part of your commute!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Would you not manage on the other 2 rings? (unless the Angliru is part of your commute!).

Could that not be a bit dangerous? If the chain skipped…?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

yes the chain, in wrong gear can actually jam and it's pretty dangerous - i'd like to keep the bike relatively maintained and not see it deteriorate any more than it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

You should be able to just change the inner chainring without changing the chain. Those cranks are probably self extracting, in which case no special tools are needed. But any shop should do it for you.

The chain and cassette are probably pretty worn on a 5 year old bike but if the chain's not skipping you could leave it until it is and then replace chain and cassette together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If it's an octalink bb then you'll more than likely need an extraction tool.

I think they have them in most tool sets and possibly in the lidl/Aldi ones. These are handy kits to have around and will get you through most routine maintenance jobs.

How badly is the ring bent? It might be possibe to straighten it although if badly bent it may well be weakened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If it's an octalink bb then you'll more than likely need an extraction tool.

I think they have them in most tool sets and possibly in the lidl/Aldi ones. These are handy kits to have around and will get you through most routine maintenance jobs.

How badly is the ring bent? It might be possibe to straighten it although if badly bent it may well be weakened.

Crank extractor probably required, I use this BBB one from which was cheap and does the job. After that replacing a chain ring is very straightforward. On an old bike it is worth putting a dab on thread lock (blue) on the crank bolts when re-fitting, as they have a tendency to loosen at awkward moments otherwise as I found out last year. If you haven't changed the chain in a while and have a few bob spare, no harm to change it and the cassette at the same time.

Advertisement