Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milage vs Age specific query

• 09-09-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I realise how a car is driven and looked after is more important than age vs mileage. But if you could give me any pointers I would be grateful. I am about to look at an 08 Diesel Toyota Auris with approx 50,000 miles. Another Dealer has more or less offered to match the price with the 2011 model of the same car. But with approx twice the mileage of the 08 car. On the mileage vs age question alone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

I had the same predicament about a year ago. I went with the higher mileage on the grounds that it had FSH with a main dealer and like yours was 3 years newer. Haven't regretted it once. It depends how many miles per year you're doing too.

One thing I would question is who would by a diesel if they're doing 50000/8 - 6.5k miles per year. It doesn't make sense but still is possible I suppose but if it didn't have FSH I'd run. That for me would be #1 thing to want.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks a mill for your reply. I know a FSH is vitally important in general but from which of the two without a FSH would you run a mile from? Yes I'm pretty clueless when it comes to car purchasing! The cars are with both with Toyota Dealers so I will at least have some kind of warranty. But as always on a fixed budget it is a big decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the 08 dear, or is the 11 cheap?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the 08 dear, or is the 11 cheap?

That is the question! The 08 was listed around 9,500 the 2011 (higher mileage) was listed around 12,500.

€9500 is plenty for an early Auris.
    Are they both uk imports?

• Advertisement

Haven't a clue about the 2011 at this stage. Re the 08 the dealer claims he sold the car new to the original owner so I assume it's not an import. With the limited amount of info I have provided would you be leaning towards the 08 or 2011 car assuming I can get the 2011 for 9,000 to 10,000 (paying cash).

I'd be looking to see what else 10k can get you as well. Don't limit yourself to two cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You'd get a decent spec 2011 Hyundai i30 for well within that budget:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/i30/LEATHER-TRIM/8082112485910952706/

Those i30 premiums are in a different league to any Irish Auris spec wise, and they're much sharper to drive. The suspension/wheel setup on those uk spec premiums really improves the way they drive.
    The other side of it is that Hyundai parts are more expensive than Toyota, the tyres are more expensive than the 205/55/16 you'll get on an Auris (unless it's rolling 15s as a lot of the Calcutta spec ones are, which are cheaper again)

But yeah, in my experience the i30 is a better car all round than an Auris - unless your needs are very basic and you just want a despite the shortcomings the Auris has in terms of power, interior quality, equipment, price etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

11,500 for a 2011 Auris v 9,000 for a 2011 i30 buys you many sets of oddball tyres and replacement parts (if you ever need them). :)

• Advertisement

Tis true. The tyres aren't that bad really, just you can often get bargains on 205/55/16 as it's such a common size. we got them on eiretyres, any place locally doing tyres for €100ish in that size is doing bottom of the barrel Chinese stuff.

In 4.5 years and 65,000 rural miles it's needed a brake caliper, a few drop links, tyre pressure sensors (just replaced them with regular valves and disabled the light) outside of basic servicing. It will need a new clutch soon though, as it's not wanting to go into reverse sometimes. Luckily it's solid flywheel so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Those i30 premiums are in a different league to any Irish Auris spec wise, and they're much sharper to drive. The suspension/wheel setup on those uk spec premiums really improves the way they drive.
    The other side of it is that Hyundai parts are more expensive than Toyota, the tyres are more expensive than the 205/55/16 you'll get on an Auris (unless it's rolling 15s as a lot of the Calcutta spec ones are, which are cheaper again)

But yeah, in my experience the i30 is a better car all round than an Auris - unless your needs are very basic and you just want a despite the shortcomings the Auris has in terms of power, interior quality, equipment, price etc.

I have to disagree with this post. The auris might be a step down from the previous corolla but they are still a better car than the first generation i30. The i30 might be a sharper drive but it suffers in terms of comfort, in general the auris is a much nicer car to drive imo, especially on a long journey.

The interior quality isn't anything to write home about in the i30 either(if anything it's worse and more bland than that of the auris), I for one can't stand the blue illumination of the instrument cluster and two tone blue illumination of the head unit in the i30.

A uk spec premium i30 is higher spec than an irish auris but on a level playing field, a uk auris can be got with very good spec. An auris sr(facelift) for example is a very nice car.

The comparison was specifically between what the OP was looking at and what was suggested by Bazz.

I agree on the difference in brightness of the stereo vs climate control screens. Annoys me too.

Left of field a bit but have you any views on a 2011 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI? Have seen a couple with decent mileage. My priorities are economy (fuel and parts) and reliabilty rather than drive, spec etc. Or should I stick with the 'boring' Auris diesel?

I don't think the 308 is a bad car, just I don't think the 1.6 HDI is a good engine. Same engine as fitted to the focus/mazda3/mini/C4/etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I don't think the 308 is a bad car, just I don't think the 1.6 HDI is a good engine. Same engine as fitted to the focus/mazda3/mini/C4/etc etc

1.6 HDI 16V doesn't tolerate negligent servicing. 8V - introduced around 2011, is much better.

Advertisement