Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reclaim utilities as self employed (home office)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes, a dedicated home office can be expensed. But if you just throw your laptop on the kitchen table then it's hard to make a case for rent expenses (electricity/heat/telecoms may be allowed in this case tho).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yes, a dedicated home office can be expensed. But if you just throw your laptop on the kitchen table then it's hard to make a case for rent expenses (electricity/heat/telecoms may be allowed in this case tho).

That's what I was thinking you'd need to be set up so that if you were audited you could prove the exclusive use

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

Stheno wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking you'd need to be set up so that if you were audited you could prove the exclusive use

Well yes of course all the stuff from the business takes a ****load of space from my house, all the records, computers, working surfaces, I'm basically occupying the living room that now has no "living" in it anymore! Maybe I can indeed prove my case. I'll surely have to look into better accountants. I'm less and less convinced by the one I have. I don't know if I drop them will I incur into penalties or whatever I never even saw a contract from them or something. I'll have to revisit what I signed with them, it was very short I think they just registered me for tax and told me basically "see you in a year and a half just bring us a bag of receipts", wasn't really helpful. Was trying to ask them what format would they prefer the data in and they wouldn't say

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well yes of course all the stuff from the business takes a ****load of space from my house, all the records, computers, working surfaces, I'm basically occupying the living room that now has no "living" in it anymore! Maybe I can indeed prove my case. I'll surely have to look into better accountants. I'm less and less convinced by the one I have. I don't know if I drop them will I incur into penalties or whatever I never even saw a contract from them or something. I'll have to revisit what I signed with them, it was very short I think they just registered me for tax and told me basically "see you in a year and a half just bring us a bag of receipts", wasn't really helpful. Was trying to ask them what format would they prefer the data in and they wouldn't say

A good accountant is vital tbh try and get one via personal recommmendation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Well yes of course all the stuff from the business takes a ****load of space from my house, all the records, computers, working surfaces, I'm basically occupying the living room that now has no "living" in it anymore!
    I've no direct experience in these matters, but if I was Revenue, I wouldn't accept this as evidence of 'additional cost'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've no direct experience in these matters, but if I was Revenue, I wouldn't accept this as evidence of 'additional cost'.

Then why are you second guessing posters who have got direct experience in this matter

Stheno wrote: »
    A good accountant is vital tbh try and get one via personal recommmendation

This one was through personal recommendation ):

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

We are taling peanuts here in the overall scheme of things. Never fails to amaze me how people are always looking for any kind of cockamamie schem to save a few quid in tax! Same effort put into the business would yield x10!!

Utility expenses aren't worth very much, but rent in Dublin is not peanuts.

Acid test. The kinda stuff revenue does.. Business grows and moves to a bit of office space...rent falls by how much?

• Advertisement

Well a dedicated home office in dublin (1 room in rented house) might cost say e400/month rent. Can you get proper office space for that!? There is a lot of empty office space around tho...

I would imagine rent would be larger for a proper business, compared to a 1 person work-at-home situation.

mrawkward wrote: »
    We are taling peanuts here in the overall scheme of things. Never fails to amaze me how people are always looking for any kind of cockamamie schem to save a few quid in tax! Same effort put into the business would yield x10!!

It's a different lifestyle. I don't earn a lot and I don't spend a lot. Every little counts. I don't own a car, I don't own almost anything. I do a lot of activism and I prefer to have my impact on the world helping others than amassing riches for myself. But this is all OT.

And yes, considering the rents in this country are outright INSANE, it has to count for something...

It's a different lifestyle. I don't earn a lot and I don't spend a lot. Every little counts. I don't own a car, I don't own almost anything. I do a lot of activism and I prefer to have my impact on the world helping others than amassing riches for myself. But this is all OT.

And yes, considering the rents in this country are outright INSANE, it has to count for something...

With all your activism ideals, do you not want to pay your fair share of tax? or is that only for the rich?

mrawkward wrote: »
    With all your activism ideals, do you not want to pay your fair share of tax? or is that only for the rich?

Well I'd never encourage tax evasion of course. You operate within the boundary of the law, which is neither moral nor ethical. Law is just law, is a set of rules you are given. If I can, legally, give less money to corrupted governments that set up wonderful things like Irish water etc, and more to helping the homeless, well I will and my conscience is more than crystal clear on this.

Advertisement