Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about small crash, someone paying personally

• 09-09-2016 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there,

Wife was in a small crash, it was the other drivers fault as he ploughed into her. Luckily she is okay but so far has had GP costs, taxi costs, perhaps xray costs and car repairs (which could be minor but not if damage done to chassis). Also had a day off work and so on.

The other driver wants to pay it himself but I don't like that idea. I rang him and he seems to sole refer to the car costs and makes no mention of other outlay which is over 125 euro and could be higher if physio is needed.

Have anyone ever heard of making the claim via insurance and if he wants to protect his no claim bonus he can just reimburse his insurance company etc

Never had to claim so advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Inform your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Definitely inform your insurance company and give them all the details.

Also, claim for any physical injuries (both present and precautionary) and possible psychological effects of the crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,284 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much do you think car will cost to put right, talking hundreds or thousands? Theres so many horror stories I'd be inclined to go through their insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

IMHO "friendly" arrangements to settle matters without involving insurers often turn sour and are usually best avoided.

What often happens is that when the true cost is known the culpable party balks and or does a fade and or messes you around.

Sometimes the real reason for a friendly settlement is that the culpable driver has some defect in his insurance or licence or is trying to hide the accident from an employer or his own insurer - especially the latter if he he has clocked up a few accidents already.

As others said report it to your own insurers.

As far as the other party is concerned I would report it to his insurance company. He is obliged under contract [his motor insurance] and under statute [RTA 1961] to report it to his insurers.

Strongly advise you deal with his insurers - not him.

BTW do not rush to settle if your wife has injuries or she has at least been checked out properly by her doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm just wondering how injuries could have occurred if the car was damaged to the extent of 150 euros.

• Advertisement
Advertisement