Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay - Will we ever have it here?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Probably discussed to death previously but is this in use yet? Will we ever get it and will it ever replace my contactless card which seems to always require the bloody pin number.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I personally think we are way back in the queue, plainly because the market is not big enough in Apple's eye. Which is a pity consider how much penetration contactless payment already has over here.

But would be nice to see them come here in the next few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Coleman316

In the last year or two I've gone from never using cards to pay for anything to using them whenever I can. I dream of a day I can just use my phone to pay for everything. Well almost everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Might not be relevant or not but Android Pay is due to launch in Ireland in a few months so Apple Pay might not want to be too far behind them.

I'd be delighted to see any phone payment technology take off as it might kick Apple up the bum to react.

Does anyone know if Android Pay and Apple Pay need seperate technology for the retailers? Or is it basically using the contactless payment technology already available in stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Coleman316 wrote: »
    I'd be delighted to see any phone payment technology take off as it might kick Apple up the bum to react.

Theyve just announced a launch in New Zealand which has a smilar polpularion to us. From what I've read I think the problem is more with the banks and the European caps on interchange fees. The banks don't want to see apple encroach on their turf and are afraid the tech companies will take over day to day banking.

The behind the scenes fees in the Eurozone are capped at very low level. I can't remember the percentage but if apple took the same cut as in the US it would leave almost nothing for the banks. They've managed to launch in France albeit with smaller banks/card issuers and they're due to start soon with American Express in Spain. Hopefully if those are a success they will expand further.

• Advertisement

They've managed to launch in France albeit with smaller banks/card issuers and they're due to start soon with American Express in Spain. Hopefully if those are a success they will expand further.

Oh I really hope so. I wonder how long it would take from agreement with a bank until roll out? I'm an Ulster Bank customer anyway so I'd hope they would be first to try it out if anyone did being owned by Bank of Scotland and already doing it in the UK.

I'm just so eager to give my money away faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I work in the industry, won't say any more here but we've been told its a long long way off. Don't know what the reason is but basically I wouldn't be holding my breath for it. Clearly there is some major issue behind the scenes as arch_stanton said that we're not privy to. Its a real shame cos I love contactless on my card would be even better on my phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd imagine the Irish banks will be a major obstacle. They'll want substantial fees for anything like this. No way they'll be giving Apple 0.15% or whatever they're getting in the US. More likely they'll want Apple and their users to pay them.

I think ApplePay might have to wait until we have banking competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I personally think we are way back in the queue, plainly because the market is not big enough in Apple's eye. Which is a pity consider how much penetration contactless payment already has over here.

But would be nice to see them come here in the next few years :)

This line gets trotted out regularly and annoys me.

We're not that small with a population of 4.5m that is greater than New Zealand where it's launching next month.

They don't ignore Ireland when it comes to other products, and the iPhone 7 is being introduced here next week along with other tier 1 countries.

Apple Pay is only available in 9 countries at present and only 5 more scheduled to launch so there is no need to start running Ireland down.

Clearly a slow process to get architecture in place and agree deals with banks.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This line gets trotted out regularly and annoys me.

We're not that small with a population of 4.5m that is greater than New Zealand where it's launching next month.

They don't ignore Ireland when it comes to other products, and the iPhone 7 is being introduced here next week along with other tier 1 countries.

Apple Pay is only available in 9 countries at present and only 5 more scheduled to launch so there is no need to start running Ireland down.

Clearly a slow process to get architecture in place and agree deals with banks.

From the research I have done there is no need for any additional architecture change, any of the existing NFC terminal that you can use your debit/credit card with should work. For the agreements with banks, come on.. we only have a handful of banks they need to work with. unlike the US for example where they have many national banks and various regional banks too.

The only gripe I have is, Apple keeps focusing on larger markets, and tends to leave the smaller once till the end.. even though in our case they can have it all done in few months at the most if they put their mind to it.

Apple morning moan done now for today :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Oh I really hope so. I wonder how long it would take from agreement with a bank until roll out? I'm an Ulster Bank customer anyway so I'd hope they would be first to try it out if anyone did being owned by Bank of Scotland and already doing it in the UK.

I'm just so eager to give my money away faster!

I would not count on Ulster Bank doing anything like this in a hurry.

They dont even offer contactless cards yet, despite doing them in the North

Tzardine wrote: »
    I would not count on Ulster Bank doing anything like this in a hurry.

They dont even offer contactless cards yet, despite doing them in the North

They have contactless credit cards, just not debit. But sure they don't need a contactless debit if they introduce Apple Pay for us. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

They have contactless credit cards, just not debit. But sure they don't need a contactless debit if they introduce Apple Pay for us. :)

Because all Ulster Bank debit card holders are also Apple device users...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

The eurozone as a whole is a major obstacle. France is the first foray and after that I expect a fairly quick rollout (within the next 2 years). But yeah... our banks will be guaranteed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Couple of mistruths on this thread.

There is additional architecture needed for apple pay to work, whilst it's true most contactless terminals will work they do require a software update it just so happens most of them do already since most of them are leased from a U.K. company where apple pay is available. That being said anywhere I've used Apple Pay in Ireland, it has worked.

There's a further update that the shops can apply which would allow an unlimited transaction value instead of the maximum €30, but they probably won't do this.

Contactless on credit cards is useless, who uses their credit card for €30 purchases, madness.

Ireland may only have a handful of banks vs the U.S. but that means they hold more power, they've no need to compete with each other.

Apple Pay is pretty much ready to go from Apple's side (as I can't imagine their side is country specific, it is just credit/debit cards at the end of the day).

There's another thing I think will hold back contactless payments in Ireland, these terminals are expensive and thus shops keep them on the wrong side of the counter (i.e. the cashier's side) v.s. the U.S. where the terminals are fixed to the till facing the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The main POS provider in Ireland is Elavon, you'll see their branding on must machines. They used to be the recommended supplier of POS systems in Ireland by the major banks however BOI now have BOIPA and I think AIB have something similar. The BOIPA machines are Apple Pay ready and I'm sure the AIB ones are as well. I'm not 100% but I think as Creamy Goodness says the Elavon machines are leased from the provider and quite expensive, the terms of the contracts are quite severe as well I understand so I would expect any rollout to be limited to larger chains initially as the average garage or small shop owner isn't going to be bothered paying extra to provide the service.

Someone said theres only a few banks so it shouldn't be a problem, its the exact opposite. Its not in any of their interests to give apple a cut of transactions and I'd imagine that is the main stumbling block.

From the research I have done there is no need for any additional architecture change, any of the existing NFC terminal that you can use your debit/credit card with should work. For the agreements with banks, come on.. we only have a handful of banks they need to work with. unlike the US for example where they have many national banks and various regional banks too.

The only gripe I have is, Apple keeps focusing on larger markets, and tends to leave the smaller once till the end.. even though in our case they can have it all done in few months at the most if they put their mind to it.

Apple morning moan done now for today :o

I think you need to do more research as pointed out by other posters.

Also, your moan about Apple focusing on larger markets, is undone be release of Apple Pay in New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong.

I think you need to do more research as pointed out by other posters.

Also, your moan about Apple focusing on larger markets, is undone be release of Apple Pay in New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong.

New Zealand maybe.. but Singapore and Hong Kong are major financial markets :rolleyes:

New Zealand maybe.. but Singapore and Hong Kong are major financial markets :rolleyes:

Populations are still only around eight million.

The major financial markets relate to international trade, shares and currency deals not people paying for their coffee with Apple Pay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I just Apple Pay here in Belfast and it's nice to use :)

• Advertisement

Populations are still only around eight million.

The major financial markets relate to international trade, shares and currency deals not people paying for their coffee with Apple Pay. :rolleyes:

I understand, but I quite doubt population has anything to do with if Apple Pay will come to a country or not. At the end of the day Apple makes a very small cut (0.005 as an example) of every transaction that is made via Apple Pay and it is the end user who ends up footing the bill, by the banks indirectly or directly charging us for it. So it is kinda of a luxury product if you think about it based on convenience and ease of use. There are also various other factors too that I am sure Apple takes into count, like the market penetration of iPhones (you can’t expect users to use it if they don’t have iPhones) and the market penetration of existing NFC based payment.

Ireland seems to match all of the above criteria, while comparing the likes of China, Russia or even the US. Hence I am just bummed it is taking them so long, But I am sure it could be various other factors that others have brought up, like banks not playing ball, EU regulation etc. who knows.

Advertisement