Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension refund

• 09-09-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi

I start a pension about 12 years ago , the contributions to with it initially taken through my wages but company closed down (within 1 of me taking it out) I continued to make small standing orders into it . It now stands at 12k approx

Can I get this money back now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Are you more than 60 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

McGaggs wrote: »
    Are you more than 60 years old?

No far from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭micar

Are u looking to get a refund of the premiums paid or are u looking to take your retirement benefits.

Is it a personal pension or prsa?

Were you entitled to contribute to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

micar wrote: »
    Are u looking to get a refund of the premiums paid or are u looking to take your retirement benefits.
    Premium s paid , but I'm not sure what my refund entitlements are

Is it a personal pension or prsa? Personal

All money paid to it was mine , there was no company contributions

You cannot take retirement benefits from a personal pension until you've reached age 60.

You maybe able to get a refund of the premiums paid if you can show you were not eligible to pay premiums into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You cannot take retirement benefits from a personal pension until you've reached age 60.

You maybe able to get a refund of the premiums paid if you can show you were not eligible to pay premiums into it.

Death or serious ill health will enable the funds be drawn at anytime.

Death or serious ill health will enable the funds be drawn at anytime.

Yes,.....due to ill health...if you are unable to do the job for which u are trained for.

Death..... Benefits would be paid to your estate.

Another is if your job is one where one would normally retire earlier than age 60 e.g. a sports person and I think a fireman.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes,.....due to ill health...if you are unable to do the job for which u are trained for.

Death..... Benefits would be paid to your estate.

Another is if your job is one where one would normally retire earlier than age 60 e.g. a sports person and I think a fireman.

No. You'd need to be very seriously ill (and I know the Revenue are very strict on this).

p.s. I've never heard of a self employed fireman :D

Advertisement