Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience for TY in Limerick

• 09-09-2016 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone know of any places that definitely take on people for work experience for transition year, the brother is going looking for it and he has mountains of paper work ready to go off looking during the week.

Way to long since I done my own work experience and I know times have changed and it's probably harder now.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

whats he interested in doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The Army is always a good bet, but as for other businesses they seem to be reluctant.

I always believe that its good for any company to get their name out offering places to work experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

You have to narrow it down.... What sector or profession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I work for an organisation in the health/social care sector. We always get inundated every year for TY placements. We stopped taking on TY students bout 5 years ago as our service traditionally works with adults and having all the child protection policies in place just for TY students was a nightmare.

My advice if you are looking for experience in health/social care sector is to approach organisations that already have a remit to work with children. This means they already will have child protection regulations in place and it will be much easier to facilitate a placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Try the fire brigade they used to run a TY program, may still do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Dell have a TY program.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Easons take TY students, as do SuperValu Corbally. Places are limited in both I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I saw a guy in Ryan's Centra Raheen wearing a work experience badge today, I'd say they'd be good for taking people on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Probably best to avoid shops and such for work experience where you won't be paid and you'll be a glorified donkey heaving around boxes, wiping down surfaces and checking stock. Think of a career that you would like to go into and look into some opportunities in those industries. Otherwise you'll just have the piss taken out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

local shops often keep on a good TY student afterwards as a Saturday/holiday job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Barbers and hairdressers would be good too as they pay you too and sometimes even get offered weekend work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Look up the companies in the industrial estates, and ring any ones of interest. You'd be surprised how many of them look for/are interested in TY students, as even the companies looking for the highest qualifications take on TY students.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Probably best to avoid shops and such for work experience where you won't be paid and you'll be a glorified donkey heaving around boxes, wiping down surfaces and checking stock. Think of a career that you would like to go into and look into some opportunities in those industries. Otherwise you'll just have the piss taken out of you.

While I know where you are coming from don't knock Retail as a valid career... TY work experience is just for a week and the majority of 4th years have no idea what a job is.... even seeing how a shop works behind the counter is very valuable experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

VikingG wrote: »
    While I know where you are coming from don't knock Retail as a valid career... TY work experience is just for a week and the majority of 4th years have no idea what a job is.... even seeing how a shop works behind the counter is very valuable experience

Whether the student ever goes into Retail or not, working on a shop floor is an extremely valuable experience - being polite, presentable, punctual, helpful etc etc are skills needed in every job.
    Doing a bit of donkey work would teach TY students a good few (and sometimes - much-needed) lessons - if the lesson is that they need to work hard/focus so that they don't end up on a shop floor, so be it but I bet you there are plenty of millionaire entrepreneurs around who learnt the first lessons of business on shop floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Thanks everyone he got work experience in Easons he is delighted with himself! He only turning 16 so it's probably not what he might want in the future but I still think for starting off he will gain a lot from it.

Advertisement