Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby Match Thread. 10/9/16 k/o 12.30pm Sky.

• 09-09-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

man-utd-vs-man-city.png

Possible Lineups:

lineup-1069.png?w=620&h=934&crop=1lineup-10661.png?w=620&h=934&crop=1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

In for the win

5-2 as per main thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Going to be a real treat for the City fans.

Its a rare occasion they get to see a game being played in Manchester that they are involved in when the stadium is full.

Hopefully that's the only thing they will be happy about come full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

"United are the biggest club in Manchester, Second biggest is The Hacienda and that's been closed for 20 years" - Paul Scholes

4-0 to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

3-1 City. Sterling Silva KDB
    Rashford for United give ye something to talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

El Manchesterco...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Going to be a real treat for the City fans.

Its a rare occasion they get to see a game being played in Manchester that they are involved in when the stadium is full.

Hopefully that's the only thing they will be happy about come full time.

Didn't see many United fans in Old Trafford as Dzeko scored the sixth.

Bravo, Sagna, Otamendi, Stones, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Silva, KDB, Sterling, Nolito , Sane

Kolarov over Clichy because we are a team of midgets compared to United and need a little more height and I think he will pick Sane over Ihenacho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Confirmed squad

De Gea
    Romero
    Johnstone
    Valencia
    Smalling
    Blind
    Bailly
    Shaw
    Fellaini
    Herrera
    Schneiderlin
    Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Mata
    Lingard
    Young
    Rashford
    Martial
    Rooney
    Ibrahimovic

rwbug wrote: »
    Didn't see many United fans in Old Trafford as Dzeko scored the sixth.

The United fans left early to help the City lads feel more at home, being in a half empty stadium like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

5-2 Ibra first goal rashford gonna get two. Manchester is RED.

All messing aside, too hard to call.

Two strong but significantly remodelled teams, arguably the two best managers in the world currently, some brilliant individual stars on both sides.

Aguero a huge loss, City still a bit weak at the back.

United still lacking a bit up front, Martial has been off since the summer and he who shall not be named not up to standard for where he is being deployed.

Could be a cracker of a game or could be a damp squib.

I'd be happy enough with a draw.

All messing aside too - I would be delighted with a draw. Better result for us than United tho I think. United win and it is a bit of a statement.

I am worried about us being overpowered by United especially at set pieces etc. Then again, not sure Fellaini and Rooney (if in midfield) can handle our movement/pressing.

To tell the truth - haven't a clue what will happen. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Aguero missing could be the key item here I think. I don't think there will be a lot of goals in it. Could be 0-0 or 1-1, but I'll go for 1-0 as my prediction for this one.

Hopefully it'll be a cracking 3-3 or 3-4 or something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Lads, can anyone recommend a pub close to the RDS to watch the game.

Lads, can anyone recommend a pub close to the RDS to watch the game.

There are a couple of nice pubs right across the road from the RDS, can't remember the names but I'm sure at least one of them will be screening it.

I am glad Pep and Mou appear to have kissed and made up, will make it all the more entertaining when they fall out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mourinho's big game bus will be parked for this one.

Mourinho's big game bus will be parked for this one.

Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

FB_IMG_1473460067998.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

rwbug wrote: »

Ha,Mario always good for stirring the porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Game won't live up to the hype, 0-0 with both teams happy with the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RoryMac wrote: »

I'm thinking it might be this way too. I can see both sides cancelling each other out. I might watch Celtic vs Rangers instead which will have less quality but probably more drama (and goals).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RoryMac wrote: »

That's what I thought before Aguero's ban, United heavy favourites now for me. An early goal might see it open up - 2-0, maybe 3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

First big test for both teams and should be a good game. Will be interesting to see who starts upfront for City.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think the best any rival fans can hope for here is the Mourinho/Guardiola rivalry boils over into a full on mass brawl, with all players, management and support staff involved. Spawning crowd trouble, the match is abandoned.

The FA decide to go against all precedents and predilections and deduct both clubs 15 points, give each a £1bn fine and suspend the managers until Christmas.

At least that way, there might be a fight for the title outside of Manchester come May. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Zlatan to score the winner and celebrate in front of Pep, ala Adebayor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

An aggressive physical no-holds barred fairly dull match.

0-0 or 1-1

I'm not even watching it tbh. I've learned that over the years the Mourinho 'big games' tend to be very very underwhelming. Nothing against that, he's just conservative when it's on the line. Fine as a strategy but not great for the neutral.

Remember those massively hyped Jose vrs Rafa matches where they played each other like 4/5 times a season for a while. God they were awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Hate United, hate Pep, can't win. City have better players but United don't have Pep.

As long as this game kills the media circus about manager rivalries for another few weeks. They're obsessed.

City win. 3-0. Red carf for Fellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• jayo26 wrote: »
    FB_IMG_1473460067998.jpg

:)

Go on to **** united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

2-1 city.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm not even watching it tbh. I've learned that over the years the Mourinho 'big games' tend to be very very underwhelming. Nothing against that, he's just conservative when it's on the line. Fine as a strategy but not great for the neutral.

A team with Shaw, Valencia, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, and Ibrahimovich starting can hardly be underwhelming. Lots and lots of attacking instinct there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think it's a big mistake to start with both Rooney and Ibrahimovich - City play with such a high line that you've got to play with some pace through the middle. I think Guardiola will be delighted with that.

• Think it's a big mistake to start with both Rooney and Ibrahimovich - City play with such a high line that you've got to play with some pace through the middle. I think Guardiola will be delighted with that.

So ignore the pace on the wings?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rooney still has a few sprints per game left in him as well.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So ignore the pace on the wings?

It's all very well having people out wide but who do they aim for? They won't have much support behind them because Jose isn't going to let the fullbacks get forward in a game like this. Like I said, I think you have to play at least one player with real pace through the middle.

• It's all very well having people out wide but who do they aim for? They won't have much support behind them because Jose isn't going to let the fullbacks get forward in a game like this. Like I said, I think you have to play at least one player with real pace through the middle.

That's just not true
    Both Shaw and Tony v have bombed forward regularly in his first four competitive games in charge
    Game like this? Nonsense players are there to attack and defend

• Advertisement

We'll see. History suggests that Mourinho goes ultra defensive in big games like this and that he'll go hugely compact at the back and keep the fullbacks inside their own half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

That's just not true
    Both Shaw and Tony v have bombed forward regularly in his first four competitive games in charge

I'm not saying they won't but to insinuate that historically Jose hasn't shut up shop in games like this before is supremely blinkered.

Anyway I reckon it'll be a close game but United have Zlatan and City are missing Aguero so United will take it by 2. 3-1.

• Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I'm not saying they won't but are to insinuate that historically Jose hasn't shut up shop in games like this before is supremely blinkered.

Anyway I reckon it'll be a tight game but United have Zlatan and City are missing Aguero so United will take it by 2. 3-1.

United are at home
    What was done before in a previous club doesn't prove anything now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

United are at home

It doesn't prove anything but its what people will base their opinions on... Part of what makes Jose such an amazing manager is his ability to win games when he parks the bus. Its not like Pulis or Sam just looking for a draw, Jose intends to win while doing it by frustrating and then moments of intense pressure to try and nick a goal.

Unless you think attacking football in big games is a Jose Mourinho calling card... and if you do then I dunno what to say.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

History doesn't suggest Mourinho goes ultra defensive in games like this.

He only does when his side are protecting a lead at the top of the table. The first half of the season is completely different to the second half when it comes to Mourinho's teams.

If United were 5 points clear at the top with 5 games to go right now, the conservative approach would hold true, not in the fourth game of the season.

• Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It doesn't prove anything but its what people will base their opinions on... Part of what makes Jose such an amazing manager is his ability to win games when he parks the bus. Its not like Pulis or Sam just looking for a draw, Jose intends to win while doing it by frustrating and then moments of intense pressure to try and nick a goal.

Unless you think attacking football in big games is a Jose Mourinho calling card... and if you do then I dunno what to say.

Is this a united away game? Or a home game?
    Now go back through every game you can rememebr where Jose parked the bus as you say
    You will find the answer

An File wrote: »
    A team with Shaw, Valencia, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, and Ibrahimovich starting can hardly be underwhelming. Lots and lots of attacking instinct there.

The man had dragged classicos into the dirt.

He can do it with the two manchesters.

United are at home

It's not really about being ultra defensive. But when Mourinho's team are in games like this, they tend to be dogfights. Lots of aggression, very little space and really lots of niggly stop start stuff.

I can't see that changing and a great football match breaking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Excited to see Iheanacho start, for me hes the most exciting prospect in world football, I see him carrying the torch for superstar African strikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Is it me or does anyone else shudder at Geoff Shreeves pre match interviews..cringey questions of the highest order.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement