Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby Match Thread. 10/9/16 k/o 12.30pm Sky.

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Fernandinho is such an unsung hero. He was fantastic and played Pogba out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Pogba reminds me of Austin Gleeson. Overcarries far too often and takes some wild efforts which are never the % choice. Nice to watch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Peist2007 wrote: »
    United fan here and Pogba was sh1te. Utterly so.

Best team won. United showed heart and is encouraging but City's team looked more settled and more in tune with what each other was doing. And De Bruyne is class. A real thoroughbred. Bad day for United but we will be back

United will be in the mix come the latter end of the season.
    Players still settling in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

jive wrote: »
    Pogba reminds me of Austin Gleeson. Overcarries far too often and takes some wild efforts which are never the % choice. Nice to watch though.

He reminds me of Gerrard and Johnny Giles' comment "He's not a great midfielder, he's a midfielder that can do great things"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Burial. wrote: »
    Clearly never seen him play so. He was incredible for Chile just this summer.

True. I just watched 95 mins of his play and he looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5starpool wrote: »
    It was mostly on edge because of the bad defending though. All 3 goals were really avoidable to be honest. There was a good tempo to it though and I did enjoy it.

Nowadays, every goal gets analysed and can be blamed on poor defending whilst ignoring the fact that it's good attacking play that is causing the defence problems.

I thought City's two goals were great, especially de Brunye's contributions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

United will be in the mix come the latter end of the season.
    Players still settling in.

Definitely.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I thought Pogba was about the only shining light for utd in the first half. Lost his head a bit in the second half but it wasn't really the style of play he can do much with.

Faugheen wrote: »
    He made the two most important ones at half time...

Game could have been over by half-time though but for Bravo and Stones mix-up. Sometimes you have to make changes after 15 mins or so before the damage is done. Very few managers do it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

An File wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread! Parachuting in like a fucking hero right after the final whistle is blown just so you can take the piss. What a marvellous football fan you are, a shining example to one and all, a beacon in the darkness of these times. :rolleyes:

Hope ur ok hun xx

EDIT: Joking aside. I really enjoyed that game. Very enjoyable stuff.

Bravo is mad as a box of frogs. Reminded me of Gomes when he joined Spurs. An absolute liability waiting to happen.

De Bruyne is a class act. Himself and Silva are an absolute joy to watch.

Fernandino is a monster. He's not flashy but he does his job perfectly and Pogba was anonymous because of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

murpho999 wrote: »
    Nowadays, every goal gets analysed and can be blamed on poor defending whilst ignoring the fact that it's good attacking play that is causing the defence problems.

I thought City's two goals were great, especially de Brunye's contributions.

The first goal Blind could do very little I thought.

City's first half enough to deserve the win but the ending should have resulted in one or 2 more for United. No composure all game. Thought Rooney did well in the first but on the periphery for the 2nd half. A missed opportunity when Pep shut up shop to force one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

I wouldn't judge Bravo on that one game. He's been excellent for Chile + Barca for years.

He's barely had a chance to train with the City defence since joining them and the Utd goal was as much John Stones fault for not hearing the call.

His distribution was good - certainly better than Hart and Caballero.

The meltdown after his mistake was a legitimate concern but De Gea had a similar shaky few weeks after joining Utd.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Game could have been over by half-time though but for Bravo and Stones mix-up. Sometimes you have to make changes after 15 mins or so before the damage is done. Very few managers do it though.

The game wasn't over at half time though and in fact momentum was with us.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The game wasn't over at half time though and in fact momentum was with us.

I know. Only because of a silly mistake between Bravo and Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Henry would know all about hand ball....

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I was saying earlier that Clattenburg did no wrong but having now seen the Bravo penalty incident properly it certainly looks like he got that wrong, as I did myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Dissapointing result. Would have been 0-4 if UTD played the same in second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

jive wrote: »
    As long as I draw breath, no way will Pogba ever strike me as a player worth whatever United actually paid for him (the amount seems to vary). Absolutely crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pep looks happy, playing at a full stadium in Manchester and winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

murpho999 wrote: »
    I was saying earlier that Clattenburg did no wrong but having now seen the Bravo penalty incident properly it certainly looks like he got that wrong, as I did myself.

Clattenberg wasn't going to give a penalty today. There were a good few legitimate shouts.

Bravo's tackle on Rooney was a penalty, the Otamendi handball would be difficult to give.

Sky have missed the Bailly tackle on Otamendi after De Gea tipped the ball round for a corner.
    Was a definite penalty, late and through the back of the player.

So it sort of evened itself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

"Claudio had one of the best performances I have ever seen" - Guardiola. :pac::pac::pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

py2006 wrote: »
    Dissapointing result. Would have been 0-4 if UTD played the same in second half.

I don't get this post.

Considering we scored 1 before half time, that makes no sense.

And if City played like us throughout the game then we probably would have won.

City didn't play like us, though, and put on a masterclass in the first 40 minutes but then we got the goal, Jose made the changes and he got a reaction from his players.

That's football.

In the grand scheme of things, City deservedly won the game 2-1. Could they have got more? Yes. Could we have got more? Yes.

Ifs, buts and maybes are nonsense in analysing a game. If we got that Bravo penalty and scored, we could have gone on to win but at the same time City could have done the same.

chupacabra wrote: »
    "Claudio had one of the best performances I have ever seen" - Guardiola. :pac::pac::pac:

I don't think you got the essence of what he was saying and how he meant he will be over the whole season.

RobertKK wrote: »

Yeah he must be loving seeing all those noisy United supporters being brought down to size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cr_5Iq3XEAAgLKD.jpg

Kolarov lost a tooth at some point in the game. Looks thrilled about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I thought Otamendi was a real warrior at the back today for city, not easy with United constantly sending aerial balls into Zlatan and Fellaini.

De Bruyne and Fernandinho were obviously immense too.

Pep is bringing something very new to the league, the first 40 mins showed what he wants to achieve. It's only early days but City will be tiki taka -ing the hell out of teams by the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

chupacabra wrote: »

Pep has a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Kirby wrote: »
    Ancelotti. Klopp. Two managers just off the top of my head who admitted they got the selection/tactics wrong and took the blame for a defeat. Plenty of managers have done it in the past.
    Now do a percentage of top managers because two isnt a lot

Clattenberg wasn't going to give a penalty today. There were a good few legitimate shouts.

Bravo's tackle on Rooney was a penalty, the Otamendi handball would be difficult to give.

Sky have missed the Bailly tackle on Otamendi after De Gea tipped the ball round for a corner.
    Was a definite penalty, late and through the back of the player.

So it sort of evened itself out.
    Not in a million years.

RobertKK wrote: »

Yes because salty stadium observations is ultimately where Pep will be judged.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Still not a peno no matter how often you look at it or from which angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If outfield, two players running for the ball, one of them leaves the ground totally, dives in with studs up and makes contact with the other player, would it be a free kick?

Would it have been a penalty if Rooney's leg had snapped as is possible when someone leaves the ground in that matter? Bravo wasn't in control of the tackle. It was reckless and could have been very bad for Rooney. An awful tackle.

United didn't deserve anything from the game but that was fairly clear cut imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I just completely disagree. It's a dangerous last ditch tackle that gets a card and a free given outside the box. You just can't go in like that, it's reckless. Still and all, we lost fair and square. Can't be moaning about stuff like that when we played like we did in the first 30 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I wouldn't judge Bravo on that one game. He's been excellent for Chile + Barca for years.

He's barely had a chance to train with the City defence since joining them and the Utd goal was as much John Stones fault for not hearing the call.

The meltdown after his mistake was a legitimate concern but De Gea had a similar shaky few weeks after joining Utd.

The whole social/media bandwagoning about the Bravo/Hart affair is crazy and overhyped. You have it spot on, it's his first game and Hart is gone, thank christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Those tackles are one of things that keepers get away with IMO.

They're technically fouls but keepers get away with murder and I don't think many refs would've called it any differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »

That settles it then, more retweets than likes :D

We'll ignore the fact the question was asked by a united fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

One thing I couldn't understand was why we let them play out from the back so much in the first half. Played right into their hands. We didn't have the ideal personnel upfront for this, but we looked so much better in the second half when we pressed them high. Can't fathom why Jose would set us up like that in the first half. He is obviously an amazing manager and exactly what we need, but yesterday he dropped a bit of a clanger with team selection and tactics yesterday. Anyways it's early days and there will be plenty of twists and turns yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

De Gea was 19 when he joined united Bravo is 32. He looks very small for a PL goalkeeper, time will tell anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Not that it matters much but De Gea was 20 when he joined United.
    British record for a goalkeeper back then in 2011 at £17.8 - seems so cheap now.

All the talk about Bravo yet there's nothing about Bailly going straight through Otamendi and not happy with that kicking out at him straight after. Gets none of the ball and a complete hatchet challenge. Bravo got the ball and it was a 50/50 situation. These things usually even themselves out anyway.

https://twitter.com/DiamondTimelord/status/774623506373967872?s=09

^^^^there's clutching at straws and then there's that. Especially when Otamendi got away with a scummy 2 footer on Valencia in the first half because Silva had already chopped him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liam O wrote: »
    ^^^^there's clutching at straws and then there's that. Especially when Otamendi got away with a scummy 2 footer on Valencia in the first half because Silva had already chopped him down.

This is pointless arguing about if and buts,both were penos imo.Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Both challenges could potentionally have gotten a penalty. The really funny thing is Jose's response, back to the siege mentality of refs against his team. He really is a dislikeable person. Take your baten like a man and stop whinging like a little lost schoolgirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Liam O wrote: »
    Haha, are you for real?! You think the Rooney incident (which was 50:50 whether it should have been given) was definitely a penalty and that one (which is 100% a clear penalty) is clutching at straws. :D take off the blinkers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement