Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need more space on iPad, backing up photos question

Options
  • 09-09-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've run out of space on my ipad and want to delete a lot of photos - but still have them available to use. If i delete them on my iPad then it seems that iCloud will delete them as well. I have enough space in my iCloud account but how do I stop them being deleted? Is there an easier alternative? How do others manage their ipad storage and backups? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Google Photos is outstanding for cloud photo backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Coleman316

Funny you should ask this as I have a shared photo stream with pictures of my little fella which all my family can see. I post them then delete them off my phone but they are there available when needed. No idea what they are being stored on. They download when I want to see them but there's hundreds and a lot of videos so I doubt they are in my free cloud space?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Coleman316 wrote: »
    Funny you should ask this as I have a shared photo stream with pictures of my little fella which all my family can see. I post them then delete them off my phone but they are there available when needed. No idea what they are being stored on. They download when I want to see them but there's hundreds and a lot of videos so I doubt they are in my free cloud space?!

Shared albums don't count toward your iCloud storage but there's a limit of 5000 photos.

To answer the OP's question, enabling optimise storage will solve their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Shared albums don't count toward your iCloud storage but there's a limit of 5000 photos.

To answer the OP's question, enabling optimise storage will solve their problem.

Is it possible to add every pic to shared album and then delete them off your phone and then getting extra space?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

guil wrote: »
    Is it possible to add every pic to shared album and then delete them off your phone and then getting extra space?

There are hourly/daily limits on how much you can upload. It's still probably possible but unwise. It's not designed for that and I doubt there's an easy way to get them all back. It's also the type of thing Apple could change in a future update to either count toward your storage or expire after a set amount of time, which is how the original Photo Stream feature was supposed to work.

Really your best option is to buy extra iCloud storage and/or enable the optimise storage option. Failing that forget about iCloud and use one of the better value services from Google or Dropbox.

There are hourly/daily limits on how much you can upload. It's still probably possible but unwise. It's not designed for that and I doubt there's an easy way to get them all back. It's also the type of thing Apple could change in a future update to either count toward your storage or expire after a set amount of time, which is how the original Photo Stream feature was supposed to work.

Really your best option is to buy extra iCloud storage and/or enable the optimise storage option. Failing that forget about iCloud and use one of the better value services from Google or Dropbox.

Thankfully I'm ok but I was just curious. I already have pics backed up to Dropbox and have extra iCloud storage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Thank you everyone. I have already optimised storage but have still run out of space in my iPad :-) It would be good to use the extra storage I've paid for on iCloud but when I delete a photo from my iPad, then iCloud also deletes it. Luckily I have the photos backed up to Google Drive which is fine as a failsafe but the issue there is that everything is lumped in together and doesn't stay in the albums I created. I'll have a look at Dropbox and maybe stop paying for the extra iCloud storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP up your iCloud allowance to 50gb a month it's only 99 cent a month. Just seen that your already doing that.

iCloud isn't extra storage, it's just for a backup really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Amazon Photo is one of the best options at the moment, I think I paid €12 a year for totally unlimited photo backup from my phone, iPad and laptop. I had 1.5TB of photos last I checked a few months ago. Google Photos unlimited upload reduces the size and quality of your photos. Amazon will upload most RAW formats if you use a camera that takes RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Go to iTunes Store, try to rent or buy Lord of The Rings, when it attempts to download it will tell you you don't have enough space and offer to free some up for you. Do it a few times, you'll be amazed at how much it reclaims. Sometimes up to a gig.

naasrd wrote: »
    Go to iTunes Store, try to rent or buy Lord of The Rings, when it attempts to download it will tell you you don't have enough space and offer to free some up for you. Do it a few times, you'll be amazed at how much it reclaims. Sometimes up to a gig.

Doesn't work anymore, it will just stream the movie and charge you for the rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

guil wrote: »
    Doesn't work anymore, it will just stream the movie and charge you for the rental.

Did this change with iOS 10?. It was working for me just before I installed iOS 10.

Did this change with iOS 10?. It was working for me just before I installed iOS 10.

Must have. I was on the 10 beta for a good while and I was charged, I thought it was in the last 2 weeks but I checked my emails and it was mid august. I was able to get a refund though

Advertisement