Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students sh#tting on my doorstep

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I am a student

It was freshers night so it was that night so included students

council housing been there since 1960s why should they move?

you live in a coco house? its not that easy to just up and go

But she didn't live there before the night clubs and pubs...and it is one of the scummiest areas in the inner city..flatten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

But she didn't live there before the night clubs and pubs...and it is one of the scummiest areas in the inner city..flatten it.

She's living there 30+ years. Definitely long before any of the pubs/
    clubs/takeaways opened in the surrounding areas. :rolleyes:

For years all that was in the area was Docs nightclub, and the Office bar. They were noisy at the weekends, but nothing in comparison to that video clip.

Why should she have to leave? An area that she's grown up in, probably knows all of her neighbours, and is happy to raise her kids in the same way she was raised. Yet some people are saying that she should leave, because others don't know how to behave themselves?

Even if she did want to leave, as others here have mentioned, it's not as simple as popping down to the town hall and swapping a set of keys.

+30yrs...bull

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I don't see why the housing in Watergate being council or not is even being brought up in this thread. It's not relevant.

I'm nearly 100% sure I saw a similar article (or articles) 'back in the day' re The Lodge and Elm Park/Millford Grange.

I don't see why the housing in Watergate being council or not is even being brought up in this thread. It's not relevant.

I'm nearly 100% sure I saw a similar article (or articles) 'back in the day' re The Lodge and Elm Park/Millford Grange.

Because Watergate is worse than some pissed students, that women on the news article should look to her own location issues before giving out about students.

• Advertisement

Because Watergate is worse than some pissed students, that women on the news article should look to her own location issues before giving out about students.

The lady is perfectly entitled to complain about this behaviour whether it was someone who lives on her block or was just passing through the area.

Can you give an example of a recent Watergate local issue?

Also, re your first post. Someone falling out of a night club drunk, could have an addiction to alcohol. That's the definition of a junkie.

The lady is perfectly entitled to complain about this behaviour whether it was someone who lives on her block or was just passing through the area.

Can you give an example of a recent Watergate local issue?

Also, re your first post. Someone falling out of a night club drunk, could have an addiction to alcohol. That's the definition of a junkie.

She moved into an area known for pubs/nightclubs and now wants it to stop.. she's an idiot for that.
    She'll be complaining about the market outside her door on a Saturday next.

It's ongoing, car break in's, damage to vehicles, attempted burglaries, general knackerism.

Drunk students = junkies??? Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Having grown up in this area for most of my life, I find this comment incredibly offensive. I've lived around the most friendly, hard working people there, and a statement like that is completely ignorant.

What makes the people living there not "upstanding citizens" to you?

Well I work in the area and a large number of the shoplifter can be seen running into apartments in the Watergate development

It's a well known fact, a lot of trouble in town is caused by people who then disappear into Watergate.

She moved into an area known for pubs/nightclubs and now wants it to stop.. she's an idiot for that.
    She'll be complaining about the market outside her door on a Saturday next.

It's ongoing, car break in's, damage to vehicles, attempted burglaries, general knackerism.

Drunk students = junkies??? Really.

You seem to be of the impression that to qualify as a junkie you must be unemployed and living in council housing. Not all addicts look like cartoon hobos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Tin Roofer wrote: »
    I'd rather have a bowl of coco pops. All sing along.

Crunchy Nut Fan Myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Now thers a thought swapping keys and all swap the water gate for plassy village let the student move in to WG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Now thers a thought swapping keys and all swap the water gate for plassy village let the student move in to WG

That wouldnt be too bad an idea

There are plans to integrate some college courses and student living into the Opera centre development, which will bring a newer and younger population into this area... she'll be very busy complaining to everyone that'll listen...(by then, not many)
    I'd say most people prefer students to the like of what's in coming out of Watergate.

There are plans to integrate some college courses and student living into the Opera centre development, which will bring a newer and younger population into this area... she'll be very busy complaining to everyone that'll listen...(by then, not many)
    I'd say most people prefer students to the like of what's in coming out of Watergate.

Not sure why you are tarring every Watergate resident with the same brush. Have you had a bad experience in the area? You've provided no Garda/crime stats to back up your assertions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not sure why you are tarring every Watergate resident with the same brush. Have you had a bad experience in the area? You've provided no Garda/crime stats to back up your assertions.

All students were tarred, why not residents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

cup of tea wrote: »
    The Limerick Post headline is a small bit sensationalist to say the least. I have a picture in my head of them walking down the streets with knee high wellingtons while buckets full of toilet matter are thrown onto the streets like medieval times.
    ''Limerick city residents left to walk through blood and human waste
    ''

I actually just burst out laughing - thanks for the laugh, i needed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Parchment wrote: »
    I actually just burst out laughing - thanks for the laugh, i needed it!

Sensationalist reporting by the Limerick Leader??? Never :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

+30yrs...bull

Why is this bull? You do realise that if someone is over the age of 30 and has lived in a area all their lives, that this equates to them living there for 30+ years? It's quite simple really :confused:
    Well I work in the area and a large number of the shoplifter can be seen running into apartments in the Watergate development
    It's a well known fact, a lot of trouble in town is caused by people who then disappear into Watergate.

So if a shoplifter/trouble maker runs into an area, then that means that they're definitely from that area? It couldn't possibly be that they're scum from any other part of town, and that's the nearest residential area for them to hide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/ive-to-clean-up-vomit-blood-and-sht-from-outside-my-gate-irish-mum-describes-week-of-hell-35035619.html
    I honestly think this is hyped up, students are loud and messy, but ****ting on a door step, really.
    Another thing is "Watergate" wouldn't be known for having upstanding Citizens it's self, more than likely some junkie relieved themselves at her door step.

I would suggest you visit these areas late at nite and you will actually see that everything that Christina has stated is happening there is actually happening. It also happens every single yr In the City Campus estate in Edward street which i lived beside peacefully in a small cul de sac until the campus was built and everyone involved wiped their hands of the issue.

Outside all those niteclubs at nite is a danger and hardly ever policed. The niteclubs should all have staggered closing times and Student found causing trouble should be sent back to their home citys on a 1 strike basis as it is a joke what they get upto on their first experience away from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

The most serious issue with regard to anti-social behaviour in Limerick of late has not been students at all. Regularly on Friday and Saturday nights, there have been gangs of young fellas, probably between 14 and 18, who arrive to the area around Top Pizza at about 1 45 with weapons and look for trouble. They come in tracksuits so have not been out drinking in any of the clubs. They have attacked people with glasses, two by fours and baseball bats.

I don't know where they're from, but they are students at CBS Sexton St. I know this because I know someone who used to teach there who was set upon by four of them for no reason, people he happened to have taught while he was there.

In total I know three people who have been attacked by these gangs of youths('gangs of youths' I sound like an old man). One was the aforementioned teacher. Another was clobbered from behind with a two by four and nearly fractured his skull, being knocked unconscious. Luckily he was out with his entire rugby team and they proceeded to chase the scumbags down and give them a battering. The third is another man I know who was also set upon by a number of them up at the top of Denmark St for no reason.

Students might be loud and they might make a bit of a mess, but I have never heard of a student in Limerick putting someone in fear of their life at the end of the night. And certainly not roaming around in a gang looking to seriously hurt innocent people for no reason. We should be directing our ire at the small(ish) number of little scumbags that continue to give the city a bad name after all these years.

Imagine coming down to visit a friend and getting a baseball bat to the back of the head and being hospitalised? What do you think that person is going to tell their friends about Limerick? Students are the same in every city in the country. It's a fact of life.

Google news "Watergate" ....not much to be proud of..case closed ;-)

wigsa100 wrote: »
    The most serious issue with regard to anti-social behaviour in Limerick of late has not been students at all. Regularly on Friday and Saturday nights, there have been gangs of young fellas, probably between 14 and 18, who arrive to the area around Top Pizza at about 1 45 with weapons and look for trouble. They come in tracksuits so have not been out drinking in any of the clubs. They have attacked people with glasses, two by fours and baseball bats.

I don't know where they're from, but they are students at CBS Sexton St. I know this because I know someone who used to teach there who was set upon by four of them for no reason, people he happened to have taught while he was there.

In total I know three people who have been attacked by these gangs of youths('gangs of youths' I sound like an old man). One was the aforementioned teacher. Another was clobbered from behind with a two by four and nearly fractured his skull, being knocked unconscious. Luckily he was out with his entire rugby team and they proceeded to chase the scumbags down and give them a battering. The third is another man I know who was also set upon by a number of them up at the top of Denmark St for no reason.

Students might be loud and they might make a bit of a mess, but I have never heard of a student in Limerick putting someone in fear of their life at the end of the night. And certainly not roaming around in a gang looking to seriously hurt innocent people for no reason. We should be directing our ire at the small(ish) number of little scumbags that continue to give the city a bad name after all these years.

Imagine coming down to visit a friend and getting a baseball bat to the back of the head and being hospitalised? What do you think that person is going to tell their friends about Limerick? Students are the same in every city in the country. It's a fact of life.

come and speak to all my ex neighbours all who are elderly who still reside beside the city campus and ask how many of them fear for there lives and cry themselves to sleep because of the hundreds of people screaming and shouting at all hrs, kicking their cars and breaking the mirrors nite after nite, urinating on their doorsteps and that's just the polite way of putting it. Until you have lived it you cannot comment on it.

The guards ignore you, the colleges ignore you the bus drivers that pull up on Edward street and let all the students out drunk n on the street ignore you as they are not allowed to drive directly into the campus despite there been room for them to do so. After six yrs I had to move way as I work at height and.need a proper nites sleep

but I walk down the street you are talking about every single nite and never see any large drop of teenager kids causing problems. It is the drunken yobs that cause the problems and there is never more than one or 2 guards in the area to patrol it properly.

Stop commenting on a situation you have never had the misfortune to live through and I hope nobody ever have to. I know the girl in the article and everything she has said is the truth and more so

Google news "Watergate" ....not much to be proud of..case closed ;-)

Some lovely people living in watergate and a lot of Elderly people too so you should show some compassion and many of them live in the area long before any of the nite clubs were built in the area. There are also privately rented apartments in water gate so you clearly don't know what you are going in about

steveon wrote: »
    come and speak to all my ex neighbours all who are elderly who still reside beside the city campus and ask how many of them fear for there lives and cry themselves to sleep because of the hundreds of people screaming and shouting at all hrs, kicking their cars and breaking the mirrors nite after nite, urinating on their doorsteps and that's just the polite way of putting it. Until you have lived it you cannot comment on it.

The guards ignore you, the colleges ignore you the bus drivers that pull up on Edward street and let all the students out drunk n on the street ignore you as they are not allowed to drive directly into the campus despite there been room for them to do so. After six yrs I had to move way as I work at height and.need a proper nites sleep

but I walk down the street you are talking about every single nite and never see any large drop of teenager kids causing problems. It is the drunken yobs that cause the problems and there is never more than one or 2 guards in the area to patrol it properly.

Stop commenting on a situation you have never had the misfortune to live through and I hope nobody ever have to. I know the girl in the article and everything she has said is the truth and more so

If you know her, ask her why she moved in there so!!

I have had the misfortune of living very near there for quite a while, tell me do students beat people with planks of woods, smash car windows, wreck paintwork of cars, carry out break-in's, smear sh#t on the walls of their own stairwells, leave dirty used needles around, break all the lights on the stairwells?

If you know her, ask her why she moved in there so!!

I have had the misfortune of living very near there for quite a while, tell me do students beat people with planks of woods, smash car windows, wreck paintwork of cars, carry out break-in's, smear sh#t on the walls of their own stairwells, leave dirty used needles around, break all the lights on the stairwells?

she was born there she didbt move there. Shes been in the area all her life. Her parents worked in the factories in the area along with most people living in watergate and sean heuston place. And anyone can do all those things not just students it's not all the residents in watergate that those kind of things so stop brushing them all the same way.

And as I said there is a private rented apparent block rite in the middLe of watergate do these people not deserve peace and quiet. ..

She's a council tenant, so she did not live in her own apartment all her life, grew up in there with her parents and didn't better her lot...and ended up a council tenant like her parents... So she never had any intention of improving living standards for the next generation. She only there 3-4 yrs as I heard it..

She's a council tenant, so she did not live in her own apartment all her life, grew up in there with her parents and didn't better her lot...and ended up a council tenant like her parents... So she never had any intention of improving living standards for the next generation. She only there 3-4 yrs as I heard it..

her parents worked and she is not there 3-4 yrs. so you should stop.commenting on somethink you know nothing about and as I've said to.you countless.times already what about the people who pay.good. rent to.live near here that have lived there before the nite clubs were ever set up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I just had to laugh at the hyperlink:

"ive-to-clean-up-vomit-blood-and-sht-from-outside-my-gate-irish-mum-describes-week-of-hell-35035619.html"

• Advertisement

You need a better defence than, 'they were there first' because times change. The tenements of old are gone too, if not Limerick would be still a slum.

Advertisement