Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd hand diesel recommendations

• 10-09-2016 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Due to unforeseen circumstances I've to move back to Cavan which comes with the added bonus of a 160k commute in-out for work.

I'm looking for any recommendations for a diesel around the €9000 mark.

I had a 1.9tdi passant previously but that was a 01reg.

I'm looking at the 1.6 ford focus, 1.6 citroen C5 estate, with an outsider car in megane estate or mazda 3. but not sure about fuel efficiency or would it be better to look at something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd probably look at the Saab 9-3, seem to be very good value in them at the moment.

Tried and tested engine that's shared with many other mainstream vehicles so no issues with parts or servicing, plus you get a decent sized car for that sort of journey with great seats too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have a mk3 Laguna. Another comfy couch.

I'd have one over any 1.6 HDI powered car

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd probably look at the Saab 9-3, seem to be very good value in them at the moment.

Tried and tested engine that's shared with many other mainstream vehicles so no issues with parts or servicing, plus you get a decent sized car for that sort of journey with great seats too.

I've always liked the Saab's look and had driven the 2.2turbo before.
    But with the company ceasing trading a few years ago i would be worried with the "badge'
    This happened me before with MG very hard to pass on and lost a lot on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I have a 12 reg Astra with 1.7 d engine. It's the Isuzu engine..a little industrial sounding but little or no trouble and very good mpg.

Have a look...plenty available for that kind of money. Not everybody's cup of tea but most mechs i spoke to before buying rated the engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Citroen 1.6 generally cannot go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Why can't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

R.O.R wrote: »

You'll get to know your local garage very well with one of those.. I know.

Smashing car when it's in peak form though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd look at the Renault options too, their reliability has improved immensely since the introduction of the Laguna III back in 2007. Other than the Laguna the Fluence offers good value second hand. Not the prettiest looking of cars but they are proving very reliable, they are also well equipped, frugal and spacious.

For example:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Fluence/1.5-DCI/3677828377554686123/

Are you being serious?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd look at the Renault options too, their reliability has improved immensely since the introduction of the Laguna III back in 2007. Other than the Laguna the Fluence offers good value second hand. Not the prettiest looking of cars but they are proving very reliable, they are also well equipped, frugal and spacious.

For example:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Fluence/1.5-DCI/3677828377554686123/

The only downfall with them is the setup of the hinge on the boot.
    My mam has one and its a nightmare trying to load anything, as you close the boot the hinges have a support strut that squashes everything under it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Sometimes I really wonder about the comments on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I have this for sale, as I want an auto. 115,000km FSH, new clutch, flywheel tyres, NCT 7/18, Tax 11/16.

The only downfall with them is the setup of the hinge on the boot.
    My mam has one and its a nightmare trying to load anything, as you close the boot the hinges have a support strut that squashes everything under it

Look at its sister car then, the Megane:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Megane/III-IRISH/7784970821627690316/

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Megane/TomTom-Just/4827777250990404172/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tindog76

With the milage you will be doing. Get something with a bit of comfort. I have an Insignia and it is a very comfortable drive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you being serious?

yes. very reliable cars.
    far more so than a lot of the 2.0 engined cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I've a Passat 2.0 tdi 2010. Would be within your budget and ticks most of the boxes for a long commute. Fuel economy is good and it has been very reliable and comfortable.

Does anyone know whether it would be better to get the new type 1.6diesel engine or stick with traditional 1.9?
    I'm not seeing much about reliability online

Are you talking about the VW engine?

Are you talking about the VW engine?

Vw passat/golf or Ford focus/mondeo 1.6 or 2.0 toyota avensis cotroen c5

I'm not sure about which is better to go for with the 1.6engines apparently have better fuel efficiency but its still an unknown as to how long they might last as they are reasonably new(ish)
    Or would it be better to go with a larger engine 1.9-2.0

Smaller engine doesn't mean better fuel economy. Larger engines are under less stress meaning they are just as economical.

• Advertisement

Smaller engine doesn't mean better fuel economy. Larger engines are under less stress meaning they are just as economical.

Thats why I'm confused all the data says the smaller engines are more fuel efficient because of better mapping and torque distribution but as you said a larger engine is under less strain and less revs.
    But i have not heard from anyone who has actual experience of both who can say which is more fuel efficient or which is more reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

The 1.6 PSA engine in the C5, 407, focus etc is a reliable engine if maintained correctly. The reason it has a bad name is because people don't maintain cars properly. A regular service is often put on the long finger and this leads to major problems down the line. The fuel economy is not quite what the manufacturers say it will be either.

As for larger engines, these can go wrong too for the same reason. The VW 1.9 engine has had a few revisions in its life and my own opinion is the 1.9PD engine is the best of them. Good economy & good torque. Be careful of the early 2.0 tdi engines, some had issues.

I suppose the best advice is look for a service history & change your oil regularly. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Toyota Avensis 2.2l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

2008 audi a4 b7 1.9tdi 113 bhp. 1.9 reliability and economy , nice drive , nice looks , €360;tax for the year. I love em. Buy one with around 100k and FSH and you won't be dissapointed. Saying that you'll probably have to go to the UK to find a good genuine one .

Might as well consider a Seat Exeo so if you're open to a B7 A4 that was designed back in 2000.

The Exeo is pretty much a B7 A4 but has the newer VAG CR diesel engine:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Exeo/2.0-TDI/6368602903589719378/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Might as well consider a Seat Exeo so if you're open to a B7 A4 that was designed back in 2000.

It the 1.9 non cr engine why I recommended the B7 . Very reliable , cheap to run and maintain. No common big money failures to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

What about a 520d m-sport bmw?

I have one at the moment, cant fault them at all and great comfort and spec!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Horrible looking car they would need to pay me to drive that yoke

Hi folks,
    Due to unforeseen circumstances I've to move back to Cavan which comes with the added bonus of a 160k commute in-out for work.

I'm looking at the 1.6 ford focus, 1.6 citroen C5 estate, with an outsider car in megane estate or mazda 3. but not sure about fuel efficiency or would it be better to look at something else?

vw or toyota brands cant go wrong if I was buying again id go for a Golf or another Audi. Stay away from citron renault puegout all them rubbish makes.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

vw or toyota brands cant go wrong if I was buying again id go for a Golf or another Audi. Stay away from citron renault puegout all them rubbish makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

audi12 wrote: »

Trolling requires a bit of finesse, it is a skill that needs to be mastered...

You're clearly not there yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The 1.6 PSA engine in the C5, 407, focus etc is a reliable engine if maintained correctly. The reason it has a bad name is because people don't maintain cars properly. A regular service is often put on the long finger and this leads to major problems down the line. The fuel economy is not quite what the manufacturers say it will be either.

As for larger engines, these can go wrong too for the same reason. The VW 1.9 engine has had a few revisions in its life and my own opinion is the 1.9PD engine is the best of them. Good economy & good torque. Be careful of the early 2.0 tdi engines, some had issues.

I suppose the best advice is look for a service history & change your oil regularly. Good luck.

This, but some engines tollerate abuse better than others...

DV6 family has a few design flaws (the oil feeder pipe to the turbo passes very close to the oxi-cat, the injector seals in 16V version have tendency to loosen) that make the consequences of service negligence more severe than with other.

grogi wrote: »
    Trolling requires a bit of finesse, it is a skill that needs to be mastered...

You're clearly not there yet...

What are you on about .. I worked in car sales for the past year I think the qualifies me to have an opinion we used to sell on ever make and model that we took in to the trade.

No one in trade would buy any of those makes of cars off me that is a fact.

What are you on about .. I worked in car sales for the past year I think the qualifies me to have an opinion we used to sell on ever make and model that we took in to the trade.

No one in trade would buy any of those makes of cars off me that is a fact.

Not sure what cars you were passing onto the trade but the fact you were selling them on through the trade would suggest they may not have been recent enough models. Renaults for example have come on in leaps and bounds in reliability since about 2008 onwards. On the other hand the likes of Toyota and VAG stuff these days are nothing super special in regards reliability, certainly not the rock of reliability they may have been at one point. I reckon these are a case of car brands trading on good or bad reputations more than anything else these days.

Not sure what cars you were passing onto the trade but the fact you were selling them on through the trade would suggest they may not have been recent enough models. Renaults for example have come on in leaps and bounds in reliability since about 2008 onwards. On the other hand the likes of Toyota and VAG stuff these days are nothing super special in regards reliability, certainly not the rock of reliability they may have been at one point. I reckon these are a case of car brands trading on good or bad reputations more than anything else these days.

The company I worked for also had a Renault dealership across from us the new ones may be better but are nothing special and they do not hold any value.

• Advertisement

Resale value is not the defining word on what makes a brand of car good or bad.

The Renault Laguna/Megane for example, the Laguna II and Megane II were terrible cars with their fair share of problems, but the newer ones were much improved and generally are as reliable as other similar cars out there. However people still associate these and French cars as being unreliable hence why resale values remain low.

On the other hand the likes of Toyota and VW would be well known for traditionally making reliable cars because during the 1980s people had them and they never gave a days trouble, however over the years these cars haven't really lived up to that yet people will still pay top dollar for them based on that reputation.

While there is a decent gap in resale values and perceptions between these brands, reality is the gap in terms of reliability is alot smaller.

The Renault Laguna/Megane for example, the Laguna II and Megane II were terrible cars with their fair share of problems, but the newer ones were much improved and generally are as reliable as other similar cars out there. However people still associate these and French cars as being unreliable hence why resale values remain low.

On the other hand the likes of Toyota and VW would be well known for traditionally making reliable cars because during the 1980s people had them and they never gave a days trouble, however over the years these cars haven't really lived up to that yet people will still pay top dollar for them based on that reputation.

While there is a decent gap in resale values and perceptions between these brands, reality is the gap in terms of reliability is alot smaller.

Some truth in what you say possibly heard complaints new toyotas were not as good as the old ones nevertheless I drive a 02 Audi A4 in four years that I have it it has never given me so much as a minutes bother that is some going for an old car. I would therefore find it impossible to switch from Audi/Volkswagen.

When I sold hyundais we would have new enough Hyundais coming in with clutches gone my car puts them to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Some truth in what you say possibly heard complaints new toyotas were not as good as the old ones nevertheless I drive a 02 Audi A4 in four years that I have it it has never given me so much as a minutes bother that is some going for an old car. I would therefore find it impossible to switch from Audi/Volkswagen.

When I sold hyundais we would have new enough Hyundais coming in with clutches gone my car puts them to shame.

I'd say Audi will come looking for that A4 back soon, seems to be the best car in the world :D

What car dealership did you work in ?

tossy wrote: »
    I'd say Audi will come looking for that A4 back soon, seems to be the best car in the world :D

What car dealership did you work in ?

Hyundai one prefer not say where. Four years and no trouble is some going I would be first to say if it gave trouble dont make cars like they used to.

Hyundai one prefer not say where. Four years and no trouble is some going I would be first to say if it gave trouble dont make cars like they used to.

I am confused though, do you drive an 2012 audi or a 12 year old Audi? How did you manage to sleep at night sellnig Hyuandais ?

• Advertisement

I am confused though, do you drive an 2012 audi or a 12 year old Audi? How did you manage to sleep at night sellnig Hyuandais ?

why?

why?

Well it appears there' a Hierarchy

Audi
    Vw/Toyota
    Cheap ass Seat

Where does Hyuandai rank?

Well it appears there' a Hierarchy

Audi
    Vw/Toyota
    Cheap ass Seat

Where does Hyuandai rank?

audi/vw same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Are you being serious?

1.6 hdi are a great engine just change the oil and other service items , turbo, injectors and pump every 8k and they are sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Gearboxes can still give problems in some of the newer renaults. A neighbour of mine had to get one replaced on his 2010 fluence, then only 3 years old.

Did Hyundai not give you a company car? Why would you drive your own car if you had a few one?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Gearboxes can still give problems in some of the newer renaults. A neighbour of mine had to get one replaced on his 2010 fluence, then only 3 years old.

Gearboxes gave problems in older Corollas and Avensis too along with VVTi engines burning oil. Had to replace a gearbox, clutch and flywheel on a Passat CC at 2 years old myself. Mazda's disastrous diesel engines, Ford's wet belts prematurely snapping, BMW/Mercedes/Nissan timing chains, Audi/VW TDi oil pump/balance shaft/conrod issues.

No brand is impervious to issues of some sort these days despite the mindset of your average joe.

Did Hyundai not give you a company car? Why would you drive your own car if you had a few one?

You would think so wouldent you

Gearboxes gave problems in older Corollas and Avensis too along with VVTi engines burning oil. Had to replace a gearbox, clutch and flywheel on a Passat CC at 2 years old myself. Mazda's disastrous diesel engines, Ford's wet belts prematurely snapping, BMW/Mercedes/Nissan timing chains, Audi/VW TDi oil pump/balance shaft/conrod issues.

No brand is impervious to issues of some sort these days despite the mindset of your average joe.

wouldent call burning oil an issue.

You would think so wouldent you

Well, if you were at it for 4 years they should have been giving you a car.
    wouldent call burning oil an issue.

If you were spending nearly as much on oil as you were on petrol it'd be an issue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement