Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's a puzzle for you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

They should be registered in Ballymoney reg. dist., but not finding anything promising - either on GRO, FS or GRONI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

shanew wrote: »
    They should be registered in Ballymoney reg. dist., but not finding anything promising - either on GRO, FS or GRONI.

It's an odd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the only birth I found that's even close, is one for a Jane Beattie McFadden, parents William McFadden and Annie McAllister - in Kilrea reg. dist., next to Ballymoney, but the age is way out as it's in 1901 should be c1895 for Jane, residence is Kilrea, and father's occupation is Rural Postman

shanew wrote: »
    the only birth I found that's even close, is one for a Jane Beattie McFadden, parents William McFadden and Annie McAllister - in Kilrea reg. dist., next to Ballymoney, but the age is way out as it's in 1901 should be c1895 for Jane, residence is Kilrea, and father's occupation is Rural Postman

Looks like a different family: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Kilrea/Coleraine_Street/1521045/

I don't know what to make of it. You'd wonder about a few things if they were illiterate, but the father filled out both censuses. The names aren't out of the ordinary, so it's doubtful they would be consistently botched in the records. And the births are spread over at least 15 years. For none of them to show up is just strange.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Have you found the marriage? Thought it was this one -

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/d76ce67528513

but don't think it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Have you tried McFadzean ?
    I've seen that variant for Protestant McFaddens in the past.
    It may not meet the soundex pattern match so might be worth searching for births , etc under that more "Scottish" spelling.

I have Catholic/Irish McFaddens in my tree.
    It's a patronymic name which is common along the West Coast of Donegal and there are some anecdotes about McFaddens having come to Ireland with McSuibhne/Sweeneys, etc as Gallowglass warriors.
    In any case the name also occurs in Scotland and so planters in Antrim might be called McFadden but I have definitely seen those more exotic spellings in some registers.
    I came across a McFadzean in Louth actually back in late 19th century - he was a presbyterian.

Advertisement