Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España, Stage 20: Benidorm → Alto de Aitana

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'm just interested in good racing also. I think people talk as if it's something deadly serious about who is really the best, this is undermined cos they're not at their best, etc. No matter what the race it's just a bloody bike race ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Inquitus wrote: »
    the Giro win by Nibali poses a few too many questions for my liking.

I think that's pretty unfair. Nibali beat an ailing Chaves & Kruiswijk who crashed & would almost certainly otherwise have won. Nibali rode poorly in the mountain tt - and well below his expected form, it claimed after the race that he was sick. Well he was certainly riding for a couple of days like he was sick, & that form was far more strange than him riding strongly at the end. And at the end when he distanced Chaves, he finished a mere handful of seconds ahead of Uran whose form prior to then had been far worse overall than Nibali's. Saw no finger-pointing at his like similar improvement.

I think to be consistent with saying such a win poses too many questions could involve nigh on every win at the top level of cycling posing too many questions. Mikel Landa for instance from Astana last year, many such as yourself more than questioning, goes on to join at Sky. Why would they sign someone many presumed to be so dodgy. Missed much of the early part of the season sick. "Sick" says you. Then comes back & is quickly better than ever. Does a TT in the Giro well ahead of his previous standard, looks in great shape to win overall, then suddenly gets very oddly 'sick' & abandons. "Sick" says you again.

That's just an example. Froome, he's had a very strange career regarding being sick. A non-entity till his mid 20s, suddenly amazing. Too many questions for my liking. Quintana, "sick" in the Tour. Goes to Colombia. Now flying. Too many questions again. Etc, etc.

Those examples were not my feelings but would seem to me consistent with the 'too many questions' angle.

Advertisement