Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - no payslips - no contract - no morning breaks

Options
  • 10-09-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all, I started a new job a few weeks ago I was told it was 9 to 5 and a salary.
    The job has now started. I've no contract yet. My payslips are sent to

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

There is no entitlement to a morning break.You are entitled to 15 minutes after 4.5 hrs and 30 minutes after 6 hrs.
    Your hour lunch covers these.
    If you get a text (is this a link to an online PDF ?) then this is quite normal.
    As for the contract... ASK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

They also have 2 months to give you a contact and they are not required to provide a canteen for you to eat in, I think you had high expectations, welcome to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Speaksthetruth

davo10 wrote: »
    They also have 2 months to give you a contact and they are not required to provide a canteen for you to eat in, I think you had high expectations, welcome to the real world.

No I didn't have high expectations and I am very aware of the real world. ik asking for information not smart comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Speaksthetruth

vandriver wrote: »
    There is no entitlement to a morning break.You are entitled to 15 minutes after 4.5 hrs and 30 minutes after 6 hrs.
    Your hour lunch covers these.
    If you get a text (is this a link to an online PDF ?) then this is quite normal.
    As for the contract... ASK!
    I should have clarified my hours were supposed to be 9 to 5. However they are now 7.45 to 4.30 and my lunch is from 1pm to 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Honestly OP, and I'm not trying to be smart I think you're making a big deal out of very little. Have you tried asking if you could have a tea break and perhaps 45 or 30 minutes for lunch instead? If this is retail then there are certain requirements for breaks and I think your employer is in breach but you're just in the door of a family run business, perhaps it is not the role for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I should have clarified my hours were supposed to be 9 to 5. However they are now 7.45 to 4.30 and my lunch is from 1pm to 2pm.

Speak to them OP. Tell them that you are dying of the hunger by 1pm (I would be anyway) and would like a 15 minute break for a cup of tea and a bun at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

where did it say your hours were supposed to be 9-5?

who did the company inform you they were going to be changing?

other posters have said it before me, morning breaks are not an entitlement are a civil service thing (and im not even sure they happen there anymore) most jobs dont have them.
    it depends on the role, shops, office, call centre etc so without better info i cant advise.

as for the contract ask for it.
    payslips check the text, we send a reminded text with a link to the pdf
    no canteen entitlement.
    your breaks are fine as per the hours you stated 7:45 hour lunch finish at 4:30.

best of luck asking about the contract :)

Advertisement