Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grad Med Preparations in 6 months?

• 10-09-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice if anyone would help me out!

I'm basically looking into completing the GAMSAT in March 2017. I have about 6 months to study all together.

I am currently completing my 2nd MSc so will be in the midst of that during study.

My background is in Psychology. Looking into the GAMSAT I think I would definitely manage the essay/humanities element as it was a huge part of my career for years.

I studied some Biology at 3rd level, with focus on anatomy, however this is as far as my background extends.

I'm just wondering would anyone have any advice to give me? Is it possible/plausible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 isntlee

Apparently the real trick is simply the timing of the exam, just keep repeating the conditions of the exam. There's an entry on Reddit on this point, rote learning is for the birds because in the exam you've got 1.5 mins per question. I'm in the same boat too, just trying to get ready for the next few months of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 isntlee

The point is to get a basic understanding of the material but learn how to use it effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I did it in 3 months while working full-time with very part-time study (an hour in the evenings two or three days a week plus three or four hours on Saturdays and Sundays). Focus on sections 1 and 2 as these seem to boost marks for most people. I had a science background and did abysmally in section 3. Timing is most important here. Understanding some basic concepts is good but don't try to learn off reams of information. I think getting a good night's sleep the night before GAMSAT is key - you need to be totally alert and ready for that full day, it's gruelling. I got 58 and I'm now coming to the end of week 3 in UL - loving every second of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sneakysnake007

Hi PictureFrame,

I think it is definitely doable. I sat the GAMSAT just recently in UCD with just 6weeks of study and whilst working 9-6pm 4 days a week and then 1-6pm one day a week. I didn't intend to sit it with such little time to prepare, I just decided to give it go at the last minute!

I studied in the evenings after work from 6.30-10pm and then on my days off I spent 9-6pm/9-9pm in the library depending on how much I got covered and how much energy I had at the end of the day. I made sure to get lots of sleep, ate well and took a night off when I needed it. I never studied to exhaustion or dosed myself with caffeine to get the hours in. If I wasn't focused I just packed up and went home to chill and unwind. Try not to force your studying and make it a negative part of your day. I tried to enjoy it and that way, I found I got the most out of my time in the library.

It seems like you have a lot on your plate over the next few months. The biggest piece of advice I would give to you, is to make a timetable and try your best to stick to it. It will give you such structure that is hard to find when you're studying on your own like this.

Best of luck with everything and if you need anything else just let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Hey guys, so I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing myself, however I'm in full time education, in my final year, I dont think an hour or 2 a day is feasible tbh (just so far Im finding final year pretty demanding, I cant keep up with my current college work never mind another exam on top of that :P ), so just wondering does anyone know of anyone that took the GAMSAT in their final year of college? I just see how much has to go into the GAMSAT, Im in a science course, however its biology based (which as far as I can tell, on the GAMSAT, most of the biology questions are just logical reasoning anyways), so my knowledge of chemistry and physics is as limited (i.e never having studied physics or chemistry before). I am horrendous at section 1 and 2 (I have attempted a few section 1 questions and its been a long time since I wrote an essay that is based on society or opinions, most of my essays are factual reviews of some sort of component of the cell, or genetic engineering technology, so no personal reflections or origional thought required). Does anyone know of anyone in a similar situation, I fear that completing my degree and sitting the GAMSAT may just be a little unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hey guys, so I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing myself, however I'm in full time education, in my final year, I dont think an hour or 2 a day is feasible tbh (just so far Im finding final year pretty demanding, I cant keep up with my current college work never mind another exam on top of that :P ), so just wondering does anyone know of anyone that took the GAMSAT in their final year of college? I just see how much has to go into the GAMSAT, Im in a science course, however its biology based (which as far as I can tell, on the GAMSAT, most of the biology questions are just logical reasoning anyways), so my knowledge of chemistry and physics is as limited (i.e never having studied physics or chemistry before). I am horrendous at section 1 and 2 (I have attempted a few section 1 questions and its been a long time since I wrote an essay that is based on society or opinions, most of my essays are factual reviews of some sort of component of the cell, or genetic engineering technology, so no personal reflections or origional thought required). Does anyone know of anyone in a similar situation, I fear that completing my degree and sitting the GAMSAT may just be a little unrealistic.

If your workload is demanding focus on your current degree and ensure you do well in that. Go ahead and sit the GAMSAT in March anyway just so you have the experience.

It's a lot of money but it will stand to you to see the exam first hand.

Advertisement