Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place to buy fish?

• 10-09-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

And by best I mean cheapest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

MomijiHime wrote: »
    And by best I mean cheapest.

This place have a good selection has a good selection.

I often visit it in Caherdavin.

Very fresh fish starting from a couple of euros

http://goo.gl/KmQhXs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Sorry, I meant to eat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cheapest won't equal best. If you want cheap try Aldi or Lidl. Sadliers on Roche's street is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

True about Lidl being best for cheap fish. It's not that bad either.
    Rene cusacks is still the best but it helps if you know how to spot really fresh fish, or just ask what's very fresh. They do continue to sell fish when it's not at its best. Theres a very nice lady with an English accent working in their main store, he'll see you right.
    They usually do an offer on Sea bass and sometimes other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Bought breaded cod in Lidl recently - had 55% fish in it-kinda amazed me to think what the hell else was in it? (Course I still ate it) checked out Dunnes stores version & it had a similar amount of fish content.
    Just check the fish content if you're going for the breaded versions-it seems they're similar to sausages with all the mystery ingredients to fatten/sweeten/extend shelf life

• Advertisement

Coill1 wrote: »
    Bought breaded cod in Lidl recently - had 55% fish in it-kinda amazed me to think what the hell else was in it? (Course I still ate it) checked out Dunnes stores version & it had a similar amount of fish content.
    Just check the fish content if you're going for the breaded versions-it seems they're similar to sausages with all the mystery ingredients to fatten/sweeten/extend shelf life

I hope and assume the OP wasn't wondering where best to buy Donegal catch, Lidl also does decent vacuum packed fish fillets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Coill1 wrote: »

Packaged ham, chicken and any breaded food is pumped with every kind of nasty.

The OP was probably on about 100% fresh fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Theres a very nice lady with an English accent working in their main store, he'll see you right.

Must admit to being both confused and concerned.

Must admit to being both confused and concerned.

:o:o indeed, he's a very nice lad.

Advertisement