Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Min wage jobs and work standards/expectations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was a manager in a retailer in my early 20's and know what you are talking about OP.

Generally my staff were young using the work as part time work through college. As a retail outlet the busy times were weekends and evenings and thats where the bulk of the part time staff were active. This stuff did happen but I'd usually address it if things were mental. At the same time if it was quiet and people were taking a few mins didn't bother me. There was just a mantra of don't take the piss.

Don't know what age you are, but you remind me of a few people that would have come through that job in the few years I was there. When it came to times like Christmas and Sales when it would get mental (Xmas particularly) they were my first port of call when I was putting together teams and temp team leads to manage the mental times.

A certain part of me accepted that most of the staff were there just on their general working path, me included, and the store wasn't the end goal. But at the same time appreciated those for who it was their career, and ensured they were properly rewarded and recognised when roles came up or some more advanced work was needed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

The system in the US is 10 times better than the crap employers and hard working employees have to put up with in Irish workplaces. At least in many states there it's possible to ditch a dosser, leaving more employment and hours for people who get their heads down and get on with the job.
    Is it ****......anti-union indoctrination videos, little to no health insurance from many employers, shocking pay at minimum wage. Low-level workers in the US are treated abysmally.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

Sorry for silence, haven't had any time to catch up on thread. Some interesting feedback, particularly from the poster who rightly guessed that one of the workers is related to the manager! It's mainly on days that this worker is on that the other staff start dossing.

And to the posters who say it's none of my business, course it's my business if I'm put under pressure at the custoner end of things as a result. Also, it doesn't do much for morale when you're trying to do an honest days work and others around you seem to be taking the piss - note also that the other workers have worked longer than myself here.

Advertisement