Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tampons for men's bathrooms at Brown University, USA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I suppose a transgender male may need one and be caught short. He can hardly go into the ladies. I'm not sure what the big deal is tbh. Those who want to use them will, those who won't won't. The sooner we get rid of men's and women's loos and just go with unisex the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I would have thought that the hormones that transgender men take would mean that they don't menstruate. Could be very wrong though.

No big deal either way really. Lets be honest, they'll all be taken by lads who end up sticking them of the backs of their mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

First fortnight of these being available every lad who turns his back on his drink is gonna find a surprise when he turns back.

Not all those who wander are lost, not all those who menstruate are women. Tolkienesque isn't it, poetic. Mmmm reminds me of a warm safe space.

Will there be urinals in the female toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Will there be urinals in the female toilets?

Judging by the way things are going, you can bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Many years ago, during a severe bout of turbulence combined with an infected sinus at cruising level meant something up my nose burst resulting in a torrent of puss & blood through my nose. Two quick thinking American airlines stewardesses pushed my head back in the chair & pushed a tampon up each nostril, (well they are meant for stopping blood, right?).

All well and good until we'd landed & they wouldn't let me remove them, nor walk as my front was covered in blood & they were concerned with my blood loss at high altitude, so I had to sit there while they emptied the plane & everyone filing past stared me, then they brought a wheelchair on & wheeled me to the medical centre where I was checked out, so... not all people who need tampons are women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

OU812 wrote: »
    Many years ago, during a severe bout of turbulence combined with an infected sinus at cruising level meant something up my nose burst resulting in a torrent of puss & blood through my nose. Two quick thinking American airlines stewardesses pushed my head back in the chair & pushed a tampon up each nostril, (well they are meant for stopping blood, right?).

All well and good until we'd landed & they wouldn't let me remove them, nor walk as my front was covered in blood & they were concerned with my blood loss at high altitude, so I had to sit there while they emptied the plane & everyone filing past stared me, then they brought a wheelchair on & wheeled me to the medical centre where I was checked out, so... not all people who need tampons are women.

they're very handy to maintain the shape of the nose if someone gets a punch in the face too!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

they're very handy to maintain the shape of the nose if someone gets a punch in the face too!!

Also heard theyre good for treating gunshot wounds.
    Being the good old USA they'll probably be useful!!!

But on a serious note this is PC gone absolutely nuts.

"Women arent the only ones who menstruate"

Em sorry basic junior cert biology will tell you different.

I have a strange urge to go mountain climbing and salsa dancing.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I suppose a transgender male may need one and be caught short. He can hardly go into the ladies. I'm not sure what the big deal is tbh. Those who want to use them will, those who won't won't. The sooner we get rid of men's and women's loos and just go with unisex the better.

Why would we do that? I dont want to share my bathroom with the opposite sex?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why would we do that? I dont want to share my bathroom with the opposite sex?

Why? Afraid someone will see your winky?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Implied small willy joke.
    Wow.
    That's the best argument for unisex toilets? If you're happy as things are you must have a small willy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Implied small willy joke.
    Wow.
    That's the best argument for unisex toilets? If you're happy as things are you must have a small willy?

Not at all. Just didn't know if the poster was male or female so used a term that could apply to either. Not sure where small penis implication came from? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Well in fairness, some lads I know are a pair of C*nts all on their own :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Seems to me that it would be especially handy if the ladies' loo is out of commission and hey have to use the mens'; I have seen it happen. They put baby changing stations in mens' bathrooms, too, and the fuss over that at the time was just nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

To be honest, I don't particularly want to share a bathroom with men. The smell out of most male public toilets is horrible! Or maybe I'm just frequently in places with very low standards of hygiene.

bee06 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't particularly want to share a bathroom with men. The smell out of most male public toilets is horrible! Or maybe I'm just frequently in places with very low standards of hygiene.

Ah ok. The old men smell argument.

I have been to hundreds of mens toilets in my life and can honestly say the vast majority are fine. Not sure where you are living but it can't be in western europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Ah ok. The old men smell argument.

I have been to hundreds of mens toilets in my life and can honestly say the vast majority are fine. Not sure where you are living but it can't be in western europe.

I'm not saying men smell. I'm saying men's bathrooms smell. It's a kind of strange chemically smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not saying men smell. I'm saying men's bathrooms smell. It's a kind of strange chemically smell.

Are they not cleaned the same way as the women's loos are? Maybe the issue is the urinal, its more open so possibly more smelly.

I work in a place with communal loos and I share my bathroom at home with men so its not a big deal for me to share a bathroom in a pub or cafe or wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bee06 wrote:

It's urinal cakes.

Unisex single cubicles are the way foward. I honestly can't see why anyone would object to them. They haven't put the likes of Milano Dundrum, Bear or Diep Noodle Bar out of business anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Y'know that awkard moment in the student bar when you have the great idea to drop a tampon in somebody's pint, but there's no girl in the group to nip into the ladies to get one?

Brown University. Facilitating juvenile student prankery since 1764.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Womens toilets smell too unless they are properly cleaned!

Source: many moons ago i had t clean the toilets in a hotel and i couldnt say that either mens nor womens toilets smelled better or worse. Mind you, there may be places where less women go so the toilets are less used, or where the management doesnt require that the mens toilets be as well cleaned as the womens toilets. But thats bad management/poor supervision rather than any inherent quality.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's urinal cakes.

Unisex single cubicles are the way foward. I honestly can't see why anyone would object to them. They haven't put the likes of Milano Dundrum, Bear or Diep Noodle Bar out of business anyway.

In Australia in some places they have mens, womens and a single unisex/handicapped for anyone who cant use either. Good idea i think.

Ah ok it will be the urinal cakes alright.
    How do you even know what they smell like. As I said I have been to hundreds of toilets but very few female ones so I would have no idea of the smell or otherwise.
    You get used to it btw. With unisex it would be overpowered by touch ups in perfume and deoderant anyway.

Without being too graphic, I know a Friend of mine who sometimes uses tampons.
    He uses them after a particularly ' good' night... If you know what I mean!!
    He reckons lots of gay guys use them.

On unisex toilets, surely we all use them at home? Plenty of cafe etc I have been in have only one toilet, we all use them. What's the big deal? Has to be easier for premises just to have one toilet area.

Not all who menstruate are women... will the manufacturers now be obliged to show men in their ads? It would be a bit sexist not to show men as the central characters of these ads now wouldn't it? Discrimination against menstruating men like?

Whole load of lads mountain biking and heading for drinks after?

"I don't always menstruate, but when I do... I always use Always"
    The-Most-Interesting-Man-In-The-World.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If wearing tampons or sanitary towels help you to win soccer games and give you irrepressible confidence, like the ads portray, then I'd consider wearing one myself. Does anyone know which is the better type - the one with wings or the one you shove up your hole? TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bubblypop wrote: »
    Without being too graphic, I know a Friend of mine who sometimes uses tampons.
    He uses them after a particularly ' good' night... If you know what I mean!!
    He reckons lots of gay guys use them.

You're making this up.

Its not 1975. Just give up, thanks.

(other option is that your friend has actually never had sex and hasn't got the slightest clue, but I still suspect you're making it up)

Yes :(

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's urinal cakes.

Hell no! Urinals make it quick to go in, go for a leak and leave. Look at the line for womens toilets in nightclubs, the line is always massive. I like urinals.

Honestly why all of a sudden in the past year has this toilet sh!te become such a big issue?

Plenty of gay bars have unisex toilets with a urinal room, for those that piss standing up. Works.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Not all who menstruate are women... will the manufacturers now be obliged to show men in their ads? It would be a bit sexist not to show men as the central characters of these ads now wouldn't it? Discrimination against menstruating men like?

When it makes good business sense, but not before then. Although, it may never make good business sense.

Hell no! Urinals make it quick to go in, go for a leak and leave. Look at the line for womens toilets in nightclubs, the line is always massive. I like urinals.

Honestly why all of a sudden in the past year has this toilet sh!te become such a big issue?

Check your urinary privilege! You'll wait in an orderly doubly long line for a cubicle in the interest of equality. You can bloody well take your time in there too, none of this splash and dash malarkey just because there's a cis woman outside who really couldn't be expected to use a urinal even if it existed. She doesn't need your faux chivalry "oh I won't be long", strong women have strong bladders!

L1011 wrote: »
    You're making this up.

Its not 1975. Just give up, thanks.

(other option is that your friend has actually never had sex and hasn't got the slightest clue, but I still suspect you're making it up)

Why would they need them in 1975 & not now?
    That's what he told me.
    Sure how would I know? I'm a girl!

Plenty of gay bars have unisex toilets with a urinal room, for those that piss standing up. Works.

I dont care what gay bars do. I am happy with how things are and dont want change. I am pretty sure 90% of people are happy with how things are, its the small minority looking for change.

Honest question what is the freaking need for unisex bathrooms? Why? It works how it is at the moment, so why change it?

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    When it makes good business sense, but not before then. Although, it may never make good business sense.

Good business sense does not excuse discrimination on grounds of race,sex, gender etc.

Not having the odd ad with a menstruating man as the central character is basically telling all the menstruating men out there that they don't exist. Odd as in occasional obviously, because there's nothing odd about menstruating.

I dont care what gay bars do. I am happy with how things are and dont want change. I am pretty sure 90% of people are happy with how things are, its the small minority looking for change.

Honest question what is the freaking need for unisex bathrooms? Why? It works how it is at the moment, so why change it?

Because it's easier for all types of premises not to have 2 big areas given over to separate toilets?
    We all share at home & plenty of smaller places only have one toilet.
    What's the difference?
    Would you not pee in the same toilet that someone of the opposite sex pees in??

Why would they need them in 1975 & not now?
    That's what he told me.
    Sure how would I know? I'm a girl!

Because "hyuck, hyuck, teh gays bleed from sex, hyuck" is rather 1975.

He's a (scared) virgin and lying, in that case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No idea.

Things are grand as they are.

What is wrong with the current setup that needs changing?

Because "hyuck, hyuck, teh gays bleed from sex, hyuck" is rather 1975.

He's a (scared) virgin and lying, in that case.

No, he wasn't talking about blood

• Advertisement

Because it's easier for all types of premises not to have 2 big areas given over to separate toilets?
    We all share at home & plenty of smaller places only have one toilet.
    What's the difference?
    Would you hit pee in the same toilet that someone of the opposite sex pees in??

There is a big difference between at home that you share with family and a public bathroom that you are sharing with strangers. Majority of people I hear complaining about this are SJWs. Seriously its not a big deal, it has always been seperate bathroom for men/women, there is no need to change this now.

No, he wasn't talking about blood

Tampons don't adsorb anything else*; and anyway - nothing else comes out either

Scared, lying virgin. Time to get him laid.

*unless he has a magic, water producing arse

There is a big difference between at home that you share with family and a public bathroom that you are sharing with strangers. Majority of people I hear complaining about this are SJWs. Seriously its not a big deal, it has always been seperate bathroom for men/women, there is no need to change this now.

But I have been in a lot of smaller cafes, restaurants, petrol stations etc where there's only one toilet.
    It hasnt been a problem, I don't see the big deal?

Good business sense does not excuse discrimination on grounds of race,sex, gender etc.

Not having the odd ad with a menstruating man as the central character is basically telling all the menstruating men out there that they don't exist. Odd as in occasional obviously, because there's nothing odd about menstruating.

If this is to take off (thats a big if) it will need some celeb power behind it. While good business sense does not excuse discrimination, it also couldn't give a flying toss unless the moolah comes a rollin' in the door.

Tampons don't adsorb anything else*; and anyway - nothing else comes out either

Scared, lying virgin. Time to get him laid.

*unless he has a magic, water producing arse

Will I tell him you're offering??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A tad ridiculous I must admit. But if it makes a number of pre op trans men feel better in male bathrooms then sure what harm. its not really having the biggest impact on us is it, an extra row on the condomn and gum machine

But I have been in a lot of smaller cafes, restaurants, petrol stations etc where there's only one toilet.
    It hasnt been a problem, I don't see the big deal?

I mean in really small places where the bathroom is rarely used then unisex would be ok but busy pubs/clubs then there should be male/female toilets.

Will I tell him you're offering??!!

Only if I can give him some lectures on reality first. And he's my type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I wouldn't like to see unisex loos in work. Can't imagine the horror of having some fella doing a big long poo in the cubicle beside me.

In a smaller place I would always rather see a dedicated ladies rather than a shared loo as well.

Change is bad, bad I tell you.

I mean in really small places where the bathroom is rarely used then unisex would be ok but busy pubs/clubs then there should be male/female toilets.

But why though?
    I mean, what difference does it make? Not much to the queues of women I see in clubs going into the men's jacks!
    Why would it matter?
    We all pee, we all poop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement