Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abit confused

Options
  • 10-09-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi . Strange question myself and my partner have be trying for a child. And she is pregnant now.
    Something that is bugging me tho .
    Im 100% on dates we done the deed. But hospital are addiment that the date of conception is 2 weeks after
    They said she didnt ovulate till atleast then

From looking online it doesnt seem to add up to me .
    I may just be over thinking things

Any advice ?
    Thanks
    Privatepirate

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hospital measure dates differently, and if a woman has irregular cycles it can also throw out the date of conception. To be honest, unless you are on a tracked cycle with a fertility clinic, you cant pinpoint the exact date of conception.

A hospital will date a pregnancy from the first day of the last period before the missed one. That's where a lot of confusion can arise from. By the time you do a test for a missed period (say, at 28 days since the last one) then she is already 4 weeks pregnant by hospital dates.

To give you an example.

First day of last period: 1 July. This is the day the period started.
    Assuming that the next period was due 28 days later, on 29 July, but it didn't arrive, the woman is now 4 weeks pregnant according to the hospital, even though she ovulated mid cycle.

Add in a few days either side if women have longer or shorter cycles they also ovulate earlier or later, then remember that sperm can survive inside the uterus for up to 5 days, the egg for 24 hrs, so you could have had sex a full 5 days before ovulation and still conceive.

Do you want to share the dates you have and we could work it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi thanks for your reply .
    I totaly understand that . But lets say for example we last done the deed july 10 . Bleeding only stopped that day . And nothing else till we found out .

Hospital say coneption happend after the 24th and through scans have gone as far as saying 26th

Thanks
    Privatepirate

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That sounds odd.

Are you certain they are specifying conception? From what I remember about my scans, the conception date was never mentioned to me - they cant track it on a post-conception scan. (in my case I knew my exact conception because it was a fertility assisted cycle.

All they can do is date the pregnancy from the last menstrual period - in your case, that would be the few days before Jul 10 - when the period first started. The scans should count back to that date. So if her period started on Jul 5 for example, the scan printout should correspond (give or take a day or so to allow for variance in ovulation)

What does your partner say when you've asked her about the dates?

We have all the info from the hospital and it says conception date .

I have brought it up a few times with my partner .usualy ends with me being accused of saying she cheated . Because im curious as to why the dates dont corrispond .

Privatepirate
    I

I'm all out of ideas, I'm afraid. The only thing I can suggest is to look into getting paternity testing when the baby is born. There are some tests that can determine paternity before birth, but some pose a slight risk to the baby, they are usually expensive and you'd need her consent for the procedure.

The only way I can see that you are possibly the father is that a) you are confused that the date on the scan is a conception date - but that doesnt solve the puzzle of her scan dating from the 24th when the last time you had sex was the 10th. Or b) you had sex on another date that fits but you don't remember.

You know your partner. What's your gut telling you?

• Advertisement

Its definitly the conception date. As we went for a private scan in dublin also and i asked about d.o.c
    And got a print out aswell saying the 24th

We did'nt have sex till the following month as she "wasnt in the mood "

I'll be honest . Its killing me inside .
    My heart wants me to believe its my child . But it doesnt calculate correctly in my head

Anytime i try talk about it . She usualy goes off on one saying im obsessing over it , im accusing her of cheating and so on ....

Regards
    Privatepirate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I had Ivf so 100% knew my dates and the hospital were still adding two weeks on to my expected due date!

I had Ivf so 100% knew my dates and the hospital were still adding two weeks on to my expected due date!

Ok well maybe my numbers are wrong so. Why did they add two weeks to your pregnancy? Was it based on the dating scan? If they did likewise for the OP, then that's maybe what is causing such confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

You are technically only pregnant for 38 weeks and not 40 - however it is calculated based on the first day of the last cycle as Neyite pointed out.

If you did the deed on the 10th July and the sperm was still alive 5 days later, that would put the date of conception at 15th.

However, dating scan are calculated on the size of the foetus. It could be possible that it is measuring a few days ahead. For instance, my due date based on my LMP is 24th March but I know that I ovulated (ovulation prediction tests) later than that so I had predicted it may be closer to the 29th March but when I went for my scan, the consultant actually gave me the 21st March so there is a full 8 days difference there.

We kept track of all dates etc... I asked her when did you ovulate and she replied 24th .
    We have been trying for a while so testing everything regulary .

The duedate also from sizing and scans add up to the d.o.c we where told
    Wich is 2 weeks+ since weeks last since we done anything . They have even gone a little further with the d.d by 5 days

Regards
    Privatepirat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

We kept track of all dates etc... I asked her when did you ovulate and she replied 24th .
    We have been trying for a while so testing everything regulary .

The duedate also from sizing and scans add up to the d.o.c we where told
    Wich is 2 weeks+ since weeks last since we done anything . They have even gone a little further with the d.d by 5 days

Regards
    Privatepirat

See what I don't get is that you were trying for a baby together, both of you were tracking date and she hasn't tried to lie about when she ovulated. If she cheated surely she would change the dates or try offer some explanation to you but she hasn't. Is it possible that you did do the deed but you've forgotten. This has definitely happened to me! Hence baby number 2

Advertisement