Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being put under pressure to join union

Options
  • 10-09-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

First post here on Boards and I wanted to get people's opinion on my situation.

I recently started in a third level institution in a management and I feel I am being put under pressure to join the TUI. Is this normal? I've mostly worked in industry where I never needed a union, so this is all very new to me.

Do you think I would be ostracised if I said no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You shouldn't be pressurised however a union is there to collectively benefit all of us. We as a profession are the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

There's no reason that you should be ostracised for not joining a union. It's there to benefit the members, and someone else won't directly lose out if you don't join. Bear in mind that if you do have any work issues (pay, contract, working hours), you won't be able to get assistance as easily. But if you feel that you don't want to join, don't let anyone put pressure on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Is it pressure, or is it the unions normal recruitment for new members.

I am in an IT and it seems unusual. Some heads of dept would be in a union and a number would no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Garry Logan

dingding wrote: »
    Is it pressure, or is it the unions normal recruitment for new members

Perhaps that it.

But it's very much "sign here" rather than "are you interested".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Maybe some people assume you'd be mad not to be in a union regardless of status/contract (NQT/rpt etc etc)...a lot of people go around programmed thinking they're way is not only the right way its the only way and you'd be mad to think otherwise!

It wasn't like that when I was at it (2nd level) , if you wanted to join you knew who the rep was and you went to him or you had joined in college, most people in the schools I taught in tended to be joined up (if not very active)

Having said that I was always surprised at the amount of people not in it, given that the working conditions at the time (and probably now as much as people gripe) would be a lot worse if there wasn't a union and the support they could offer should an issue arise.....I was also surprised how much some people begrudged paying the subs given how low it was compared to the amount of money you could see they spent on other less potentially important things - sure you can't see the effect as easily as buying a physical product - its not material goods in your hand (except for maybe that diary and some magazines/newsletters) but I always thought that while you could save the couple of quid every year its a bit like having assets and driving around without insurance (thereby exposing yourself to losing them) or deciding not to have a solicitor fight your case in court or not investing in preserving your health via exercise etc etc - and the very people not joined up were sometimes the ones who could do with having their voice heard but they just dismissed the idea sometimes bitterly with hand wavy type arguments about what the union would ever do for them - I tended to agree that a union would do nothing for them if they didn't join and make their voices heard.

In 2nd level at least I think people would be a lot better off if everyone joined and took an active part in the union/had their voice heard - or if there was a way to boost the participation and I suppose having just one union for each sector would help.

Apologies for drifting a bit op, I know you are 3rd level so this may not be very relevant but if you are at a crossroads something to consider I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Re being ostracized It should nt happen but no one needs un necessary pressure in a new job. Perhaps as your in management and from an industry background people might be worried about your attitudes , intentions etc. Some industries have a us vs them approach. Some industry people view education as being " slack " . "short days "" long holidays" blah blah .. etc . Lots of teachers are nervous of this stuff.
    Perhaps your rep is a person with not very good social skills ? - sadly there's a few about ?

As other posters have said its your call but in the present climate with underfunding and an increasing commercialization of our third level sector i believe youd be better off in. Maybe become an active member and help shape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

You should join. The good things about your salary and working conditions were probably negotiated by a Union. And the things that aren't great about your job will also be a concern of the Union. And you can ask them to help you if needed. Of course you shouldn't be pressured. But why don't you want to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eddy_Phelan

You should always join a union if you are offered the opportunity to; it is for your own good and protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Garry Logan

doc_17 wrote: »
    But why don't you want to join?

Because coming from industry, I have never had the need to join a union and I don't know an awful lot about them.

I suppose if I was honest, I would say I do not have an overly positive view of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Because coming from industry, I have never had the need to join a union and I don't know an awful lot about them.

I suppose if I was honest, I would say I do not have an overly positive view of them.

There's no rush anyway. But I know a few people who switched from staunch industry to public sector and laughed at the prospect of joining a union.... Then the questions came about contracts, incorrect payments, issues around bullying, unfair work demands... each time I just said "did you talk to your union about it?". Answer was no, so I just said 'ah well!'

Edit: maybe chill for a while and see what others in management are doing.
    Many of posters here are second level so I'd guess a lot of management in secondary schools are in a union too!
    Dunno about third level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement