Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank wiring installation

Options
  • 10-09-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been living in a new build house now less than one year. The house was built by a contractor.

I noticed last night that my spetic tank circuit was tripped (for how long I don't know). I went down and opened the man hole covers and all 3 chambers were full of water. This was the first time I have ever looked into the tank. So anyway got a guy to call round this morning and empty the tank.

After he left I inspected the 3 chambers again and the electrical installation is in my eyes disappointing.

In the middle chamber there is an outside double socket.
    The system has two pumps and both are wired into re-wirable 13A plugs.

Can someone confirm if the above installation is normal for a septic tank?

I ask as, the outside socket was full of water and looks burnt/black/melted around each of the live & neutral entry points. I opened each of the plugs and was clear that these had been full of water too and both have burn marks.

Next, I dried out the system, plugged the 2 pumps back in, re-set the RCD & fused spur and the system tripped straight away again.
    Un-plugged the two pumps and re-set the system - this time it didn't trip.
    I connected one plug at a time to see which one was causing the trip and it appears to be the pump which aerates the system.
    Where can I pick up one of these?

I also noticed that when I left the pump which, I assume, pumps to my percolation area connected I did not hear anything running. Would this be due to a level switch or some such not being made to start the pump?

I'm concerned that this is probably the inital fault and am hoping someone here can advise how to fault find this?

Sorry for the long post.

WM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Anyone any opinions on this installation? Is this an acceptable & safe electrical installation?

The company that installed it are coming tomorrow and I'd like to know if I should push them to up their installation standard or not.

Thanks,

WM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

water-man wrote: »
    After he left I inspected the 3 chambers again and the electrical installation is in my eyes disappointing.

In the middle chamber there is an outside double socket.
    The system has two pumps and both are wired into re-wirable 13A plugs.

Can you post some pictures? It would be easier to comment then.
    Are the 13A plugs like this?
    I ask as, the outside socket was full of water and looks burnt/black/melted around each of the live & neutral entry points. I opened each of the plugs and was clear that these had been full of water too and both have burn marks.

Equipment that is damaged as described above should be binned. It would seem that the components selected are not fit for purpose and / or not installed properly.
    Next, I dried out the system, plugged the 2 pumps back in, re-set the RCD & fused spur and the system tripped straight away again.
    Un-plugged the two pumps and re-set the system - this time it didn't trip.
    I connected one plug at a time to see which one was causing the trip and it appears to be the pump which aerates the system.

It sounds like you have identified a problem. However based on what you have said some rework by a professional is required.

Where can I pick up one of these?

Contact the septic tank vendor. You need to ensure that you replace like for like. Or you could Google the make & model of the pump and try to find a supplier.
    I also noticed that when I left the pump which, I assume, pumps to my percolation area connected I did not hear anything running. Would this be due to a level switch or some such not being made to start the pump?

Impossible to say without seeing it.
    I'm concerned that this is probably the inital fault and am hoping someone here can advise how to fault find this?

A circuit diagram would help.
    Again contact the vendor.
    It is practically impossible to diagnose without a lot more information and being there.

Advertisement