Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Transport Minister Shane Ross

Options
  • 10-09-2016 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

There's a petition going around to Shane Ross, to return the funding for proper cycling infrastructure.

The most political special interest groups are the squeaky wheels that get the funding for transport. Unless cyclists start to squeak, we're going to continue to risk our lives on cracked roads with dangerous drivers.

Here's the petition. Send it to Shane Ross <shane.ross@oireachtas.ie>, and Transport Minister <minister@dttas.ie>

Mr Shane Ross,
    Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport,
    Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport,
    44 Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2

Re: Allocating Cycling a Better Share of Transport Funding

Dear Minister Ross,

The Infrastructure and Capital Investment Programme for 2016-2021, published last September, proposes just €100 million for Smarter Travel (which includes cycling) out of a proposed €10 billion transport budget. This represents a mere 1% of overall transport expenditure.

I am calling on you as the newly appoint Minister of Transport to

Allocate at least 10% of transport funding to cycling, in order to deliver everyday cycling for all ages and abilities by -
    • Implementing the National Cycle Policy Framework (2009) in full
    • Reducing dependency on fossil fuels, especially for short urban trips
    • Achieving at least 10% of all journeys by bike nationally by 2020
    • Appointing a National Cycling Officer in the Department of Transport
    • Making 30km/h the default urban speed limit
    • Introducing a legally enforced 1.5-metre gap for overtaking cyclists
    • Providing for contraflow cycling on one-way streets
    • Retrofitting the top 50 most dangerous junctions in Ireland
    • Funding high quality cycle infrastructure
    • Upskilling An Garda Síochána to understand cycling and address dangerous driving
    • Providing cycle training in all primary and secondary schools

I look forward to seeing action taken on this matter in the immediate future.

Yours sincerely,

(your name)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The man doesn't even know or care he's transport minister. This is a complete waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Also, these petitions go through the civil service, and may influence future decisions by future ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Deedsie wrote: »
    Pay any Irish water bills lately? Even if it doesn't achieve anything it's important to contact our political representatives when we are unhappy. What right have we to complain about their decisions if we don't voice our opposition.

What's Irish water got to do with this?
    You'd be better off contacting FG as the the largest party in government they may actually care. Ross is a complete sham who in no longer able to be a hurler on the ditch but very much longs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ross seems to have made up his mind on cycling, and given that even his admirers would not claim he is a modest man, I doubt he'll change it all that easily.

I think something that makes him worry about his Dublin South seat would work, but I don't know what that is. Every regular here in that constituency write to him in the same week, making sure he sees their address? I guess I mean a physical letter, as the deluge-effect would be stronger, assuming there are enough people willing to send one, and physical letters quite naturally include a postal address.

Even assuming Ross's tenure is short, and I think it will be, he can do considerable damage before he's gone. It is a problem that needs consideration.

• Advertisement

Yes, paper letters will do even better, and the address is on the letter quoted above.
    Either way, the letters go through the Department, and if the civil servants of the Department see that cyclists are turning political, they will become thoughtful.
    And the party (he's a former Fine Gaeler) will also hear of many letters and emails, and they will also become thoughtful.
    As for the constituency, if we could get even 15 people to come out to canvass come the next election, it could make a difference.
    What's the attitude of the TDs who stood last time towards cycling and cycling infrastructure? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow_(Dáil_Éireann_constituency)#2016_general_election

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Keep up all the pressure even it seems pointless - anything to stop another fatal injury or serious accident to cyclists plus making Dublin healthier more sustainable City for the benefit of everyone

https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/777773144228659200
    Raleigh for Action on Cycling!: From Dublin City Hall, cycle to Dáil. Wednesday 21st 1pm.

That's all I know. I have to pick up the kids from school, but I might try to get along for two, if anyone is still there, as we'll be on the cargo bike.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/777773144228659200

That's all I know. I have to pick up the kids from school, but I might try to get along for two, if anyone is still there, as we'll be on the cargo bike.

In the diary.

• Advertisement

What happened with this petition? Time to move on it again?

A quote from this piece on cycle campaigning in Britain: https://rottenindenmark.wordpress.com/2016/07/09/lessons-from-london-cycle-campaigning/
    All of those earlier strategy documents failed to allocate any significant budget to cycling infrastructure. The 1996 strategy envisioned the creation of a “National Cycling Network” across the country, but didn’t fund anyone to pave it. Local councils got some volunteers to clear branches off rural trails and put up a few signs, that was it. In 2001, the government announced a Cycling Project Fund that would encourage cities to install cycle lanes. It was £2 million. Nationwide. That’s about what London spends on the Tube every two hours.

(snip)

In the last few years, London cycling campaigners have gotten smarter, and angrier, about this. There was a huge outcry when the stingy Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy was announced, and campaigners felt comfortable, finally, pointing out that the bike lanes on London’s bridges carry more people every day than all the car lanes combined, and it’s about time they got paid like they did.

For decades we’ve been doing it backwards, trying to get the targets first and hoping the funding will follow. Campaigners have finally realized, **** the targets. Get the cheddar first and then start debating how to spend it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we just need to convince him that the lack of cycle lanes is a conspiracy led by top-ranking judiciary.

we just need to convince him that the lack of cycle lanes is a conspiracy led by top-ranking judiciary.

Good thinking, Robin! Plenty of evidence that judiciary at all levels don't like cyclists!

Advertisement