Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    I need to hear it for myself. .I missed it.

To be fair to Deirdre I think it may have been her humour on hearing it back .

I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/977993029582716929

RTE already Confirming series 3 for next year

See ya in 2019 folks also time to start the campagian Aengus Mac Grianna for next year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlJJh8hQDg

I don't care how ****e he is, he has my vote already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Ah lads I think u need to hear the comment deirdre made in context. I don't believe she was getting the dig in. She was making the point that ....'look yis were all say giving out when the ppl with the biggest voting pool (ie Gaa) win you say it's unfair ....but look at us ....A lad who isn't even irish can win ...Thus proving it was pure talent won it.

She just worded it a little more deadpanly than she perhaps should have.

Just watched it again, she said
    "I love Jake Carter & Karen Byrne, I'm thrilled for them, honest to god, this country is so special, when we can vote for a Liverpudlian, on a night like this, man that's generous, that's love, it's full of love for that kid"

Sounds deadpan to me, but take from it what you can or RTE are gonna remake another show with FEUD :D

Bizarre fact i came across on DWTS:

https://twitter.com/DWTSIRL/status/977517920367665152
    Heroditas wrote: »
    She was a hairdresser

A Celeb hairdresser :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Just watched it again, she said

Sounds deadpan to me, but take from it what you can or RTE are gonna remake another show with FEUD :D

Bizarre fact i came across on DWTS:

https://twitter.com/DWTSIRL/status/977517920367665152

Thank you . .that made me laugh so hard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry, I thought you meant what she was before she became a "fitness model" or "social media influencer" or whatever it is she is when she's not dancing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really enjoyed the final. Would have preferred Anna to win, as she was stronger all along & 2 of her dances (salsa, charleston) made my top 5 for the season. I didn't love Jakes's show dance: his strength was more evident than his dance skills. We see too many of the "artistically pose the woman in the air" showdances. I'd like to see more traditional moves building on what they've learnt in the preceding months.

Loved the group dance with judges and presenters at the start. Great to see Nicky dance again after Stricty and see the judges prove their chops.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

givyjoe wrote: »
    Outrageous comment from Deirdre O'Kane. Bitter.

Deirdre sounding bitter?? Quelle surprise!! :D

pjohnson wrote: »
    Shes been more sour than Ryan the last 3 weeks

Said it before, can you imagine if that two had been paired together!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Please can someone tell me when were going to see an end to this Dancing here there and yonder , what is wrong with people dancing on ice , dancing with the stars, river-dance, dancing at the crossroads dancing with your mammy, is there no end to it . could they not get their own channel and let them on with it for Christs sake.

givyjoe wrote: »
    A disingenuous comment about how great Ireland is, on a night like this voting for a Liverpudlian. I'll be honest, I've always found her intensely dislikeable, but that was just classless.

Never took to her - like her even less now. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

decky1 wrote: »
    Please can someone tell me when were going to see an end to this Dancing here there and yonder , what is wrong with people dancing on ice , dancing with the stars, river-dance, dancing at the crossroads dancing with your mammy, is there no end to it . could they not get their own channel and let them on with it for Christs sake.

Don't watch it then.....theres hardly that much of it on that its being shoved down your throat. This may sound far fetched but a lot of people ACTUALLY LIKE the shows.....might have something to do with why they're on

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Has Jake even managed to get his mitts on it yet??? :D

Deserved winner I have to say, he was a brilliant dancer the whole way through, and that jive.....

Can't make my mind up if Deirdre's comments were "ooooh MEOOOOOWWWWWW" or just foot-in-mouth in the heat of the moment.

Going by Deirdre's strops over the past few weeks, it might be safe to say her comments were in the 'ooooh MEOOOOWWWWWW' department! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

368100 wrote: »
    Don't watch it then.....theres hardly that much of it on that its being shoved down your throat. This may sound far fetched but a lot of people ACTUALLY LIKE the shows.....might have something to do with why they're on

sorry don't watch it but everytime I look at a paper there it is,--this one can't dance , this one is upset , this one is having an affair with her partner, the judge is a #### well let's leave it at that enjoy.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Fair play to Deirdre.

20 years older and Anna and 30 years older than Jake and she danced better than both of them in the final.

Do they show the breakdown of votes? Be interested to see what the margin was.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

decky1 wrote: »

? :rolleyes: What's it like to have your head that far up your own ass? You should be on the late late you'd be a fascinating interviewee

So what if people like these shows? Get over it and dont watch plenty other shows to watch

She won it for him rather than him winning it for her. They voted for her, when the vote was suppose to be for him.

I found this year that sometimes I was rooting for the professional dancer as well as for the celebrity. Guess it was because we had grown to know them since last year. Felt sorry for Vitali last year as he and Aoibhín should have won, imo. Played back some youtubes of their dances recently and they were amazing. Kai seems to be a lovely guy and I would have been happy to see him and Anna win, especially as their last dance tonight was stunning. If Deirdre had won, I would have been delighted for John only. Poor guy was in tears tonight! I was rooting for her earlier in the competition until she revealed her catty side. Couldn't care less about her after that! Karen I enjoyed last year as she made the best of being partnered with Des Cahill. Actually, I think that is when I started watching it, as there was so much controversy about Des Cahill remaining in the competition, in spite of the fact that he could not dance. To my surprise, I found myself enjoying their performances and that was due to Karen deciding to make them as entertaining as possible, knowing well there was not a chance of their winning. She was such a good sport. So, I am very happy for her tonight that she has won her glitterball with Jake! :)

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    In your mind and if that is the case good thing they are a pairing

Good final too better result then last year a shock but a good shock

Also dance of the series was either Jake's Charleston or Anna's showdance

Anna's showdance was breathtakingly beautiful.

leahyl wrote: »
    Don’t agree that Karen won it for Jake, he was quite capable I thought but I do think that the Nathan vote bumped him up in the end.

Jake was brilliant tonight. Deserved to win.

DZKLKo3UQAAsNPE.jpg

He does look shocked, to give him his due! :pac:

I don't like Deirdre. .I never did like her humour but she was the dancer who had made the greatest progress since the beginning. .She should have been more gracious though. .of course all the finalists would have been disaappointed and Erin too ..She deserved to be there too

It was an enjoyable series though . I will miss it now.

I will miss it also. :(

Much better result than last year!! :)

• Advertisement

Some people were very mean to her earlier on. I was wondering what she had done to people to antagonise them so. I grew to like Erin very much as time progressed, especially as she was always so gracious in all those dance-offs. She did not deserve to have been in so many as she was very good.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Well that was a very enjoyable final!
    Loved the opening dance. Great to see the presenters and judges in it.
    As for the dances, enjoyed them but I just didn't like Jake and Karen's. I'm not a fan of the "contemporary" stuff (very much a traditionalist) and I found some of it cringy. Also sone of James's technical weaknesses were exposed again. But hey, it's the final.
    Don't get the Deirdre hate. I thought it was a very gracious comment saying that obviously people took Jale to their hearts. Karen has a large following among one branch of the Irish dance fraternity so she obviously mobilised it tonight and that helped them win. I would have liked to see Anna win but there was barely a whisker between her and Jake so no real complaints about Jake winning. I'd rather if he tried to take centre stage though. People have commented about some of the celebs doing the "all about me" act but Karen also is quite guilty of this. Exhibit A was here hogging the trophy.

Anyway, all in all, a vast improvement on last year's final and certainly a big improvement for the series as a whole. I loved every minute of it and, being biased, my favourite bit was when I got to go to it.

I loved the entrance. Amanda looked amazing! :)

Ah lads I think u need to hear the comment deirdre made in context. I don't believe she was getting the dig in. She was making the point that ....'look yis were all say giving out when the ppl with the biggest voting pool (ie Gaa) win you say it's unfair ....but look at us ....A lad who isn't even irish can win ...Thus proving it was pure talent won it.

She just worded it a little more deadpanly than she perhaps should have.

Would like to think so.

Unfortunately, she hasn't done herself any favours by some of her strop throwing during the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Great result!

Yes he really deserved it. He was very good throughout the series.

Finally home from the dodgy internet connection that I was watching on earlier, and seeing the very start of the show which I missed.

Fantastic to see the judges putting their money feet where their mouths are, and dancing in the opening routine! Has that ever been done in the UK one? I don't think so.

To be fair to Deirdre I think it may have been her humour on hearing it back .

I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

It may have been. Saw her on that clip afterwards and she seemed genuinely happy for Jake. Poor John still in tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

I'm no fan of Deirdre and i made that clear here last week. She danced very well but had a bad last few weeks in terms of stroppiness etc.

Looking back at tonight's clip speaking about Jake... i'd give her the benefit of the doubt. The tone of her speech up to it and after was generous i felt. I hadn't seen the clip until just now and was inclined to pre judge that it was nasty given her behaviour over the last few weeks. But i don't think there's any malice in what she said tonight.

I'll try and put myself in her dancing shoes for the last few weeks. She's coming to the end of a gruelling schedule which began before Christmas, she has a lot of other things going on like the IFTAS. I suppose any of us could become tired and cranky and appear a bit narked and aggressive. It's easy to judge from here. As others have said she had 20 and 30 years on the other nights finalists. She has a teenage child and other young child too. Something the other finalists don't have.

Well done Jake, it's deserved. Anna was great too.

And Julian. I liked you from day 1. Big hearted gentleman who couldn't say a harsh word about anyone. Hearing your story on the Late Late.. i think you're an amazing person. Truly inspirational. I know what it's like to have pneumonia a few times, but for you to come out of hospital over the past 2 years and judge on the show.. That takes real courage, physically aswell as anything else. You really live up to the showbiz adage that the show must go on! Love the suits, the individuality and the positivity you bring.

Just watching the three showdances now, which I missed earlier (due to said dodgy internet connection)

Deirdre - very disappointing! While possibly/probably technically very correct - she seemed totally passive throughout.... she was nearly like a rag doll in the lifts, and just "going through the motions" for the rest of it. I don't know what magic the pros have to make it all look seamless and effortless - but Deirdre absolutely didn't have it for me tonight in that dance.

Jake - jaysus, the core muscles Karen must have for those sideways lifts! :eek:
    And I was right, I DID see someone crawling across the floor! Shoddy camerawork there....
    As for the dance, Jake had that dancer's magic that Deirdre was missing. Whatever it is.

Anna - well, now that I've actually seen the full dance, I see what everyone was raving about! Only frustrating bit for me was the camerawork - all very distant, no closeups until near the end (although I will concede that I've been known to give out about too many closeups so you can't see the dancers' feet - but that's more for the traditional dances like jive or quickstep). But that was fantastic. Easily the best showdance of the lot.

But I'll still give Jake his due as the best dancer overall, and a very well-deserved winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What ever happened to rte symphony orchestra doing a show or did I miss it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the final. Would have preferred Anna to win, as she was stronger all along & 2 of her dances (salsa, charleston) made my top 5 for the season. I didn't love Jakes's show dance: his strength was more evident than his dance skills. We see too many of the "artistically pose the woman in the air" showdances. I'd like to see more traditional moves building on what they've learnt in the preceding months.

Loved the group dance with judges and presenters at the start. Great to see Nicky dance again after Stricty and see the judges prove their chops.

I wouldn't claim to be a technical expert on the dancing by any means but I did think that Jake did a lot of lifting, struggling with his shirt and sliding along the floor. While he's obviously very lively and athletic with his youth I though a lot of it lacked obvious technical sophistication. I also thought that two of his dances (the non-rock'n'roll ones) were very similar. But of course none of this matters anyway when something is decided by a public vote.

Advertisement