Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Please , enough about GAA

One of the tweets about Denis:

'At the end of every dance, he looks like a man who has left the immersion on.' :D

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Demi should go imo .

Denis and Valeria first couple through tonight! :pac:

honeybear wrote: »
    Can't see him winning

Brian said on 'Maura and Daithí' that he thinks one of the girls might win it this year.

Marengo wrote: »
    Good on you Demi. Well said.

A tremendous experience for someone as young as she is. Have grown to really like her over the weeks. She will be heartbroken leaving Kai! :(

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Very gracious and positive , fair play to her , she should be proud of herself :)

Definitely. :)

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Was it just me or was Peter Stringer out of time for large portions of his dance? I thought the judges were on drugs with those marks.
    Demi had by far her best dance. Shame for her that she went tonight and Fred had a very strong week too. He's one lucky fecker that the stumble didn't affect the judges voting against him.
    Speaking of stumbles, is it me or is Jennifer getting worse at presenting each week?
    Good to see normal service restored with Cliona and Robert. He's a woeful choreographer.
    Finally, Mairead had been blessed so far, she's done mainly ballroom. It'll be interesting to see how she gets on when she inevitably ends up with the Latin dances.

I don't like the Cliona/Robert combination at all. As you say, normal service was restored tonight. :( I hate his choreography. :mad:

When I was at college it was mainly girls in the course.
    I found they either loved the look of somebody like Dennis(Sort of traditional tall,dark,etc) or hated it.

I see they were the first couple through tonight! I guess a lot loved the look of Dennis!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Denis and Valeria first couple through tonight! :pac:

They make a point of saying “in no particular order”!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Can't believe people watch this rubbish. 3k a week for these "celebs". Probably more now considering it was 2 or 3 years ago the 3k a week was announced.

I cringe for the viewers cheering them on. "let's cheer on a bunch of rich people getting richer". Because that's what it is. Every single one of these just wants the money.

All of them involved in this must think to themselves how great this is.

What brought this program to mind is I was scrolling on facebook and there was some clip of yer man Jonny Ward from fair city with the blonde one. They were doing something about accents, pure cringe stuff....all best buddies (sure why wouldn't they when they know how much of a con it is)

Anyways, Ward replied to some comment with something like "Ahh I love er to bits xxx". FFS man you know her about 6 weeks and you're talking as if you know her 10 years. But that's what these shows are about, all playing up to the camera claiming you're "one big family".

Shame on RTE for losing the 6 Nations rights in favour of this muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FluffyUnicorn

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Can't believe people watch this rubbish. 3k a week for these "celebs". Probably more now considering it was 2 or 3 years ago the 3k a week was announced.

I cringe for the viewers cheering them on. "let's cheer on a bunch of rich people getting richer". Because that's what it is. Every single one of these just wants the money.

What brought this program to mind is I was scrolling on facebook and there was some clip of yer man Jonny Ward from fair city with the blonde one. They were doing something about accents, pure cringe stuff....all best buddies (sure why wouldn't they when they know how much of a con it is)

Anyways, Ward replied to some comment with something like "Ahh I love er to bits xxx". FFS man you know her about 6 weeks and you're talking as if you know her 10 years. But that's what these shows are about, all playing up to the camera claiming you're "one big family".

Ehm...someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning! Not sure what DWTS has to do with RTÉ failing to keep their 6 Nations rights, but anyway...

Of course the celebrities are getting paid well, it’s a series that’s very popular and there’s clearly demand for it. Rather than the usual Simon Cowell-manufactured talent shows with nobodies we don’t care about and won’t see again, people actually enjoy watching famous people go out of their comfort zone and produce dances that are fun/beautiful (or sometimes difficult) to watch. If no one was watching or cared about it, it wouldn’t be continued by RTÉ. Sure, you personally may not like it, but you don’t get to have the deciding vote on what the rest of us get to watch. I personally can’t stand rugby, consider it a not particularly safe sport and don’t have the slightest interest in watching the 6 Nations, the RWC or any other rugby events, but you won’t see me complaining about other people liking it or it taking up space in the programming slots.

With regards to Johnny and Emily’s friendship, we’ll never know how strong or how weak the friendships created really are (because it’s not really any of our business, and at the end of the day both partners are at work on this show), but it’s perfectly possible for two people spending huge amounts of time with each other on a daily basis to become great friends in a short space of time. It’s equally possible for two people to not really have that much in common with each other and to have a solely working relationship, and that’s fine too. I don’t see anyone “playing up to the camera”; all couples are being friendly and respectful to each other as it should be in a professional environment. Some do seem to have formed genuine friendships, and yes, although we can never really know how “real” people on TV are, that uncertainity applies to every form of publicity, it’s not unique to DWTS, nor are rugby players at the 6 Nations exempt from it ;)

• Advertisement

Ehm...someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning! Not sure what DWTS has to do with RTÉ failing to keep their 6 Nations rights, but anyway...

Of course the celebrities are getting paid well, it’s a series that’s very popular and there’s clearly demand for it. Rather than the usual Simon Cowell-manufactured talent shows with nobodies we don’t care about and won’t see again, people actually enjoy watching famous people go out of their comfort zone and produce dances that are fun/beautiful (or sometimes difficult) to watch. If no one was watching or cared about it, it wouldn’t be continued by RTÉ. Sure, you personally may not like it, but you don’t get to have the deciding vote on what the rest of us get to watch. I personally can’t stand rugby, consider it a not particularly safe sport and don’t have the slightest interest in watching the 6 Nations, the RWC or any other rugby events, but you won’t see me complaining about other people liking it or it taking up space in the programming slots.

With regards to Johnny and Emily’s friendship, we’ll never know how strong or how weak the friendships created really are (because it’s not really any of our business, and at the end of the day both partners are at work on this show), but it’s perfectly possible for two people spending huge amounts of time with each other on a daily basis to become great friends in a short space of time. It’s equally possible for two people to not really have that much in common with each other and to have a solely working relationship, and that’s fine too. I don’t see anyone “playing up to the camera”; all couples are being friendly and respectful to each other as it should be in a professional environment. Some do seem to have formed genuine friendships, and yes, although we can never really know how “real” people on TV are, that uncertainity applies to every form of publicity, it’s not unique to DWTS, nor are rugby players at the 6 Nations exempt from it ;)

No it's not Emily (dancer I assume), it's Cliona O Hagan, the country singer.

Of course the rugby is related. RTE can afford 3k a week to each of these for 12 weeks or whatever it is yet can't afford rights to a sport that offers something to the people of Ireland, something of substance.

You might not like rugby but kids watching can gain an interest, play a sport, live a healthy lifestyle.
    with nobodies we don’t care about

You care about these nobodies?

The show is so popular yet hasn't even managed to get into one of the most watched programmes on Irish TV once!

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/revealed-the-top-20-mostwatched-tv-programmes-in-ireland-in-2018-37699374.html

It came 23rd in 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Of course the rugby is related. RTE can afford 3k a week to each of these for 12 weeks or whatever it is yet can't afford rights to a sport that offers something to the people of Ireland, something of substance.
    Yes, DWTS is a bit of nonsense. But it's entertaining nonsense and obviously quite a lot of people enjoy it. It also doesn't take itself too seriously.

Rugby is a sport, also a bit of nonsense where you get to move a piece of air-filled leather from one part of a field to another. Big whoop! Unfortunately it does take itself seriously, far too seriously. But we all need our delusions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭KAMG

You called him sub player and bit player for his career. At least acknowledge that is the point I am making. I highlighted what I was refuting in your initial post. That is all I pulled you up on. I never compared him to Colm Cooper or David Clifford.......

You must be the most argumentative person I have ever seen on boards. Constantly at it. Just give it a rest will you. I'd say your great craic altogether. Why can't you just watch the program without going off on one re one of the contestants and how many All Irelands he has. Its pretty obvious he is a top player. Anyone who is/was on this Dublin team over the last decade or so has to be really. So, I agree with your point. Just don't see why you need to keep going on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FluffyUnicorn

No it's not Emily (dancer I assume), it's Cliona O Hagan, the country singer.

Oh right, well similar applies to Cliona and Johnny. They’re both seeing each other around the place a lot, and both are going through a somewhat strange and completely immersive experience that not many others can relate to. Strong bonds are easily formed.

RTÉ can equally afford to finance Fair City, the Today show, Winning Streak, the exorbitant wages of Ray D’Arcy, Ryan Tubridy, etc, plus a million other things. It’s not like it came down to “oh, well it’s either the 6 Nations or the dancing this year lads, what it’s going to be?” I’d imagine the 6 Nations costs a lot more than the celebrities’ wages anyway! There’s more than enough room for both in RTÉ’s budget, moaning about people enjoying DWTS because you didn’t get the rugby is silly.

Besides, I’m not well-informed on this, so correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the 6 Nations sell the rights and they decide whether it goes to the national broadcaster or simply whoever pays the most money? It’s not wholly on RTÉ’s shoulders if they fail to secure the rights, if the likes of TV3 are determined and have serious financial backing, they’re going to be major competition regardless of what viewers want. Anyway, TV3 is still free-to-air, the entire country is still watching the rugby no problem, it’s not like Sky Sports got it. Much ado about nothing I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Why pray tell, did you feel the need to come on here giving out about a show you seem to hate. Just don't watch it and stay away from threads about it. Everybody is happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

norabattie wrote: »
    Why pray tell, did you feel the need to come on here giving out about a show you seem to hate. Just don't watch it and stay away from threads about it. Everybody is happy :D

It would be like me popping into a cricket forum to tell them how much I hate it !'

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

52999923_10156617937150189_3747904740139204608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=8fe511697816223be0cc63903aef0e29&oe=5CF6F456

52999923_10156617937150189_3747904740139204608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=8fe511697816223be0cc63903aef0e29&oe=5CF6F456

They left out "and calling her daughter by her full name (incl. surname) all the time!"

I'd agree with a lot of what you say (if you read any of my radio thread comments I'm likely one of the biggest critics of RTÉ largesse and waste out there), but I don't think you can equate 12 weeks (or whatever the run schedule of it is) of Dancing With The Staff (that's what I call it) to losing the 6 Nations.

I'm not saying they're not overpaid, given most are hardly celebrities (last year its was more Dancing With The Stars' Relatives than Dancing With The Stars) they are. But RTÉ is the station that pays Joe Duffy more than €400K for approx 6 hours a week output for 40 weeks of the year. Throw in Tubridy, D'Arcy and Finnucane and the countless others and that adds up pretty quickly. I'd much rather see those fees cut to bits than cutting DWTS.

I would prefer Rugby to DWTS, but that doesn't mean I won't watch it. Believe it or not, you can like both. I watched it at first for what I assumed would be car-crash reasons. It can be bad, sure; but there's something about it that's grand for what it is - it's just light entertainment. Maybe I'm biased as I did a lot of dance as a kid (I don't talk about it much as it was largely forced upon me)...as I played most sports. I'm a 6'6" rugby-loving straight male who likes DWTS.......there, I said it. :pac:

Think you're taking this all too seriously TBH. It's a bit of fun, that's all. If you're serious about RTÈ waste, tackle the bigger problems and the overspends first.

Finally, just on your other comment re. sport and fitness. Do you think the pro dancers aren't physically fit? It's a different kind of fitness than that required for rugby, but it is still physical fitness. The biggest thighs I've ever seen in my life were by the male dancers in the Bolshoi Ballet (yes, I went to see ballet) - not by any rugby player. Dance is a great way to stay fit.

norabattie wrote: »

I knew this would be the first comment :rolleyes:

I'm allowed show my disgust at RTE for this.

• Advertisement

I knew this would be the first comment :rolleyes:

I'm allowed show my disgust at RTE for this.

Of course you are; but RTÉ waste a lot more money on other programmes than entertain less (or more) people than DWTS. All of the radio hosts I mentioned. Things like Killinaskully, Lottie Ryan, Mrs. Brown's Boys........I could go on forever listing crap output.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't though. Have you considered that some of the people who enjoy DWTS don't watch rugby? I like both (for very different reasons), but I admit that probably puts me in a minority.

I'd agree with a lot of what you say (if you read any of my radio thread comments I'm likely one of the biggest critics of RTÉ largesse and waste out there), but I don't think you can equate 12 weeks (or whatever the run schedule of it is) of Dancing With The Staff (that's what I call it) to losing the 6 Nations.

I'm not saying they're not overpaid, given most are hardly celebrities (last year its was more Dancing With The Stars' Relatives than Dancing With The Stars) they are. But RTÉ is the station that pays Joe Duffy more than €400K for approx 6 hours a week output for 40 weeks of the year. Throw in Tubridy, D'Arcy and Finnucane and the countless others and that adds up pretty quickly. I'd much rather see those fees cut to bits than cutting DWTS.

I would prefer Rugby to DWTS, but that doesn't mean I won't watch it. Believe it or not, you can like both. I watched it at first for what I assumed would be car-crash reasons. It can be bad, sure; but there's something about it that's grand for what it is - it's just light entertainment. Maybe I'm biased as I did a lot of dance as a kid (I don't talk about it much as it was largely forced upon me)...as I played most sports. I'm a 6'6" rugby-loving straight male who likes DWTS.......there, I said it. :pac:

Think you're taking this all too seriously TBH. It's a bit of fun, that's all. If you're serious about RTÈ waste, tackle the bigger problems and the overspends first.

Finally, just on your other comment re. sport and fitness. Do you think the pro dancers aren't physically fit? It's a different kind of fitness than that required for rugby, but it is still physical fitness. The biggest thighs I've ever seen in my life were by the male dancers in the Bolshoi Ballet (yes, I went to see ballet) - not by any rugby player. Dance is a great way to stay fit.

Joe Duffys show is one of the most listened to on radio. He pays for himself. Tubs and co are a waste too but presenters have been overpaid since RTE began. This is a new investment which can't even get into the top 20 watched programmes in the country, meaning it can't be bringing in much revenue.

And yes the dancers are fit. No kids are watching this...and no kids are watching it wanting to be a pro dancer when they grow up.

The RTE guys are getting paid TWICE.

In her younger days!
    52353298_10156618477045189_2531517392857595904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=e15e9757f5b49b9ec3413bc10a9e2c6a&oe=5CF4B3CA

Joe Duffys show is one of the most listened to on radio. He pays for himself. Tubs and co are a waste too but presenters have been overpaid since RTE began. This is a new investment which can't even get into the top 20 watched programmes in the country, meaning it can't be bringing in much revenue.

And yes the dancers are fit. No kids are watching this...and no kids are watching it wanting to be a pro dancer when they grow up.

The RTE guys are getting paid TWICE.

He absolutely does not. As a long-time listener I can assure you the show often goes day and weeks without a single paying ad on the show - the only ads are for other RTÉ shows. And it's more often than not without a sponsor. There's been lots of discussion of this very point on The Liveline Thread and on other RTÉ Threads. Did you know the show has 9 producers! 9! For a 75min "caller-driven" show! And you can bet your h*le that being RTÉ they're not on pennies. And researchers! It's many things, but it's not self-financing.

In her younger days!
    52353298_10156618477045189_2531517392857595904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=e15e9757f5b49b9ec3413bc10a9e2c6a&oe=5CF4B3CA

Given the choice, I'd take the car.

He absolutely does not. As a long-time listener I can assure you the show often goes day and weeks without a single paying ad on the show - the only ads are for other RTÉ shows. And it's more often than not without a sponsor. There's been lots of discussion of this very point on The Liveline Thread and on other RTÉ Threads. Did you know the show has 9 producers! 9! For a 75min "caller-driven" show! And you can bet your h*le that being RTÉ they're not on pennies. And researchers! It's many things, but it's not self-financing.

agree they're overpaid. They offer infinitely more than this tripe though.

agree they're overpaid. They offer infinitely more than this tripe though.

But your contention was he pays for himself; he absolutely does not.

This might be tripe in your opinion. At the risk of sounding a little sexist (absolutely not my intention) I'm sure there are plenty of females who find Rugby "tripe" as you put it. Likewise I'm sure there are many who don't.

But your contention was he pays for himself; he absolutely does not.

This might be tripe in your opinion. At the risk of sounding a little sexist (absolutely not my intention) I'm sure there are plenty of females who find Rugby "tripe" as you put it. Likewise I'm sure there are many who don't.

Joe Duffy is a public service provider. There are people who will gain a lot from his shows, some knowledge, issues affecting people are raised. There's a benefit there.

There is 0 benefit to what those "celebs" are doing.

Reality TV dumbs people down. It's fake. All edited to create a narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Joe Duffy is a public service provider. There are people who will gain a lot from his shows, some knowledge, issues affecting people are raised. There's a benefit there.

There is 0 benefit to what those "celebs" are doing.

Reality TV dumbs people down. It's fake. All edited to create a narrative.

Why are you bothering with it then? And why bother posting on a discussion forum where you know your opinion will be at odds with everyone else? Just to cause an argument? You need a different hobby.

• Advertisement

Advertisement