Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

Dopey Nicky, I can't believe it, it's your birthday too🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Bless her she was gracious there!

Erica isn’t coming across at all likeable if I’m honest

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Maybe people don’t like Erica and I’ve never danced before but went to billy Barry’s so see through it.

Its a popularity show end of day. Always like that

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I have great time for Grainne as she's not one of the younger slimmer energetic ones, and still she puts on a great performance. A lot of older viewers probably identify with her and give her a vote. And John is such a pet :)

Ahh I don't think Nicholas is a nob...he's just a bit awkward in this situation. He's more used to being off with a crowd of lads on their bikes.

Post edited by Mo Ghile Mear on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭deisemum

Not surprised it was Erica and Missy in the dance off, you only have to look at social media to see the slating Ronan Keating has been getting lately and it's affected Missy's vote, up until tonight Erica the former Billy Barry pupil has been playing the victim card which becomes wearing very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Going by previous DWTS seasons, Missy actually did well to get as far as she did. The model types never got very far, even if they were decent dancers. She had a great attitude in defeat and took it on the chin

I’m glad for Ervinas that he got a good few weeks out of it. It’s nice that the Irish pros get a bit of exposure. He seems like a lovely fella, and he and Missy look great together :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I am disappointed for Missy. She didn't deserve to go yet and Erica didn't deserve a dance-off.

The fault here is that immunity nonsense. Matthew was by far the worst tonight.

I thought there was huge improvement from Gráinne and Billy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Ok, I'm being a bit harsh, but let's be real here. He's getting the votes from people voting for his looks, rather than his dancing.

It's the demographic watching the show, I suppose, and I say that as someone who likely falls into that demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,623 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think Matthew was lucky with his dance last week and it played to his advantage.

I do wonder who is voting for this from what I know it's generally middle aged women.

• Advertisement

Just like Strictly, it’s really popularity contest rather than a dance one. Missy was on a hiding to nothing from the start, given who her father is! Totally inexperienced dancers who improve week on week, but have good personalities will always do good.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Feel for Missy. It was the same for Tilly Ramsey on Strictly. Made to pay for the 'sins' of their fathers. I suppose some would say they are only there in the first place because of their Dads. But so what? Very few young girls would turn down a chance like that if it was offered to them. Both 2 lovely young women I thought. Good sports. And good dancers.

Though it would have been a shame for Erica to go either.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Christ you'd think their lives were over going by some on here, I'm sure the exposure will do these 2 young ladies no harm, its a popularity contest and they're just not very popular m, they're not being sent to the gulag ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That was great fun. Really nice atmosphere in the studio and the audience tried to make as much noise as possible, despite only 100 people there.

One problem with being at it this year is a lot of people are up behind the judges (that's where we were). As a result, you actually can't see a lot of the dancing because their legs are out of view.

Missy's Charleston really wasn't very good at all. More hip hop than Charleston.

Billy was lovely. Waving to everyone and saying hello. He's a big character among the contestants.

Interesting reading the theories about the voting. From talking to people involved in the show previously, people are voting for Karen and John. They're very popular on the dance circuit and Karen also has half of Ballyfermot voting for her. The audience loved Billy and he's picking up votes because he's likeable.

Missy is "famous" only because of her parents and she's going to get a kicking because of who her parents are as a result. No surprise she wasn't popular. Erica-Cody, I'll be honest but I'd never heard of her until this year's show. She's also dancing with a new pro so she's got a limited fan base. Her salsa was bloody good though

Not sure what you mean by the sins of their father's? I'd have thought Ronan Keating was a real success story....sold millions of records, wrote a lot of his own stuff, does a load of work for charity. And didn't get above himself like a lot of lesser celebrities. Missy wouldn't have had a big profile though, but I thought she did well on DWTS.

Ronan comes across as a right pain in the butt. His singing voice really grates on my nerves. Mind you, he’s ok on BBCs The One Show. “Didn’t get above himself”? Yea. Right. 🤨

I actually agree with you, but the way some people talk about him on social media, you'd swear he went around killing people or something.

Very interesting Heroditas. Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't think anyone said they were going to the gulag or their lives were over. But it must hurt a bit when you know you didn't get the votes. It's a feelgood show, so I just hope it was a positive experience for them, that's all.

Ah sure look, I know. Bit of fun to get worked up about it, stave off a dose of the Glenroes.

Roll on next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,623 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ireland is way too small for these public voting things. A region with a big following can decide the vote. Just like that time on Irelands got Talent or whatever it was, the big dance group won because the group was so big they had a big reach.

Same thing with Aidan O'Mahoney that time, big reach with the GAA and guards.

Nina Carberry will have all the horse racing sector voting for her.

I'd expect Nina, Billy and Nicholas to be the final 3. Although Erica can survive all the dance offs as she is so good. Hopefully not though, sickener.

I doubt if Gordon Elliot, Aidan O Brien and Willie Mullins watch the show! :-) (but yes Nina is amazing and I hope she wins)

I think Grainne should go as she is far too stiff and immobile. I think the prettier and slimmer girls get a tough time as they make a lot of viewers feel insecure and are labelled "full of themselves". We are a nation of begrudgers. We were all young once and those girls have feelings and are not responsible for who their parents are. They are only starting out and need all the confidence they have as life knocks it out of you!

Grainne was never lacking in confidence as she was the darling of RTE, now has a loving supportive husband and family, and a gang of media friends. I wouldn't feel bad for her if she was eliminated (plus she's not a good dancer) , but I felt for Missy last night and thought she took it really well, no sulking, no faces just a big bright smile! Go Missy!

those girls have feelings and are not responsible for who their parents are.

The only reason Missy is on this is because who her parents are.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

She has every bit as much right to be on the show as Jordan Conroy, Erica, Matthew, off the top of my head.

Nice young girl. She was asked to go on the show, why wouldn't she.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

From my understanding, the points from the judges are only the same as a vote from the public?

So if the judges think your brilliant and you get 30 points off them, but the public don’t like you and only 50 people vote for you you’d end up with a total of 80.

Then if the judges think your rubbish and only give you 3 marks but the public love you and a 1000 people vote for you you end up with 1003 votes.

So it is plausible that the public votes could easily skew things. Which is why, in all these type of shows, the weakest people, can often get a good run.

On last nights show - unlucky from Missy. Seems like a nice bubbly kid.

Missy Keating only has followers and a name because she's Ronan Keatings daughter.

Jordan Conroy isn't "Mary Conroys son" for example.

Missy Keating is listed as an actress, model, influencer etc. She's a nobody living off her auld lads name. She's 5ft 6, so not going to be a proper model. She's no more a model than Jordan Conroy would be a model, modeling small time gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I absolutely love Nicolas, have said before here that I'm rooting for him, and I can objectively see he's good looking but he is not attractive to me at all. I'm just a huge cycling fan and he has always given enjoyable sports performances and he's such a likeable fella. He's the reason I'm watching and I'd rather see him learn from scratch than the likes of Erica.

If it was truly only about dancing then they should just get random unknown beginners and I'd be just as interested - I'd happily watch that. But so long as there's a "celebrity" element, then of course popularity and having an existing fan base is a big factor!

I wish it was possible to part quote, so apologies for quoting the whole post.

Yes, objectively handsome, but also objectively not a great dancer. Lol

I agree, unknowns might be better. Do they do that? Is the UK Strictly also only "celebs"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Strictly is all "celebs" too. And they have the same issues around popularity versus dance skills. But you know, even if they started with unknown beginners, it's inevitable that some of them would be more likeable than others on camera and the same would happen I think.

Advertisement