Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

She's not going to win. Winner is based on votes.

She's probably the best dancer but 99.9% of people watching would never have heard of her. Conroy is similar but still people would have heard of the Irish 7s in the news every so often.

Cody is simply unlikable, has used the race card before and has used it in this show too. Tribute week she did it for "all the brown girls at home watching" etc. I didn't hear Jordan mention his race or skin colour any time I've watched it. She's got a big ego too, full of herself.

Your opinion is a minority one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Missed this week. Christ, she’s still rabbiting on about her skin colour and the 24/7 oppression she feels as a result?

Best dancer but can’t stand her. Self absorbed fake idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Ph I was on here last year when some posters were hating on Lottie Ryan and I said that she was one the best dancers on the show and had the ability and talent to win it and if my memory serves me well, got put down then as well.

Being in the minority is where I'm strongest, but thanks for your faux concern.

The question I'm going to ask you is, do you have some inside information that would indicate that Erica's life as a black woman in Irish society was actually a walk in the park and she never experienced any prejudice at any stage?

The reality is, as you well know, Erica prob had a shite time growing up and she now has an opportuinty to air it on live TV and I applaud her for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,624 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think in 2020 there wasn't anybody overly likable in the final and it helped Lottie pull it off in the end with how the final was sprung on people.

I think Nina seems to be liked this year and she has a rural following.

Matthew is getting votes somewhere also.

Erica and Jordan weren't very well known before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Many people had a shite time growing up. Some were bullied, some were abused, some had health problems, others had disabilities, suffered from depression and anxiety so on. They don't talk about every week on a dance show. She's not the only one on that show who suffered.

Nina doesn't go on about trying to make it in a man's world as a jockey.

Ellen rarely mentions her arm.

Jordan doesn't mention racism, Offaly wouldn't be the liberal capital of Ireland to grow up in as a mixed race child.

Nicholas parents marriage broke up as a teenager, that's not easy.

Aengus was a gay man when it was illegal up until 1993. Did he mention it?

Everybody deals with life in different ways. Are you saying that you know what's best for Erica just because someone else deals with their issues in other ways?

Speaking about it every night on a light entertainment show is disingenuous, it's not 'dealing' with anything.

It's poor me, playing the victim card. If she wrote an article about her experience growing up, did an interview for a paper, tv that's fair enough. But when someone plays the victim for votes every week it's not genuine.

Your line that someone as media savy as her has a coping strategy of bringing race up every week on a light entertainment show doesn't wash. She's full of her self, and very self confident. She's not a person crippled by racial abuse who needs to speak about it every week for therapeutic reasons. Like all the Insta generation she knows exactly what she's doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

How very presumptious to say "Erica probably had a sh!t time growing up"...that's quite something to say imo. So any non white person has a **** time growing up? What about all foreigners? I know Irish lads who have a darker skin tone than Cody, no lie.

Every kid gets picked on anyways. Tall kids get called lanky, short kids get called midgets, kids with glasses get called 4 eyes, fat kids get called tubby, kids with acne get called pizza face. So by your logic all kids have sh!t childhoods? Or is racist abuse as a child much worse than any other abuse? Because if you think getting racially abused is more hurtful than the other types I listed above, then I suggest googling of some tragic cases were kids committed suicide and it wasn't due to any racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

So race is the only thing that can lead to hardship growing up.

That's the ultimate in woke BS.

Post edited by bejeezus on

Russia had a catchy number for this year. Hard on the boys..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jordan is the same colour as Erica and only mentioned his hard childhood once during dedications week. Iirc his mam had to leave his da due to domestic violence against herself and Jordan. THAT week was the time to get personal, and Erica decided on feckin Samantha Mumba as her idol.

Its amazing how gullible some are they buy any old rubbish. If its about bad childhoods Jordan beats Erica by a country mile. He was getting beat by his dad while Erica was doing Billie Barry.

Post edited by bejeezus on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Did any one mention a walk in the park ? Look here is my take on this , Maybe Erica had it tough due to racism and maybe Ellen had it tough due to her disability , maybe Jordan had it tough due to other factors

Yes absolutely they should speak out and educate people about it . There are other ways to do that but in my opinion it is not on the platform of a reality show as it only leads one to believe it is used as a victim card to gain votes .

Rose Ayling Ellis is deaf and won UK Strictly on her own merits , a good dancer and a lovely girl , she didnt once play her deafness card to get votes . When asked if it was a disadvantage ( which it absolutely was ) she replied that they found ways to work around it .In other words a positive message .

On a reality show where people vote for the celebs it is in my opinion not the time to show your victim card and use it to plead for votes . Jordan didnt do it , Elllen didnt do it, and I actually admire them for it because they prefer to get votes on their ability and on their own merit .

Same colour, different experiences in life. Same as Caucasians. Also, no two people experience racism in the same way.

• Advertisement

I don't know if I'm talking her up or down now.

Erika is a talented woman.

However what really pushed her into the media was talking about Black Lives Matter.

So, she is kind of known for talking about it.

Exactly. She’s going to talk about it if it’s her thing, or what got her into the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I think everyone knows the answer as to why she's most hated. Someone in this thread called BLM a cult a few weeks ago. One of the posters spewing the most vitriol has been banned from dozens of threads for bigotry and xenophobia.

I hope she wins it just to really annoy them and mentions her skin colour many more times while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fairly pathetic that someone has to continually mention their skin colour and associated victimhood to try win a dance contest but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Define continually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Denys and Erica on Claire Byrne.

Poor Denys having to listen to the guy supplying body bags

Post edited by tea and coffee on

Such racist sexism not to want the black man to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah hard on anyone from Ukraine hearing that yet the camera zooms in on Erica during that discussion.

Erica is suffering from Denys and Clare's white privlege during that interview obviously.

• Advertisement

Sad. Wanting someone to win to annoy someone else over actually wanting someone to win because you like them/think they're good.

Advertisement