Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭blackcard

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Considering most of the contestants have never danced before, their level of improvement and dedication is taken into account. Des' performance was not only entertainiing, but, according to the judges, he had actually learned some new steps. As for Thalia, during the rehearsals she herself stated that the steps had to be sharp (words to that effect), but that is not what she gave us - noticeably so. I'm no expert, but it was plain to be seen.

It was plain to see that there were three contestants far inferior to Thalia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Considering most of the contestants have never danced before, their level of improvement and dedication is taken into account. Des' performance was not only entertainiing, but, according to the judges, he had actually learned some new steps. As for Thalia, during the rehearsals she herself stated that the steps had to be sharp (words to that effect), but that is not what she gave us - noticeably so. I'm no expert, but it was plain to be seen.

Ah come on Eyepatch Des Cahill got through because he's so well known and probably regarded by some as a national treasure. Nobody ever heard of Thalia Heffernan before this show started. At least let's be honest why he got through and not pretend that it's his improved dancing prowess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

Lack of dance off and the two evictions so far really have really proved why RTÉ shouldn't be let near anything. It's embarrassing Des Cahill and Theresa Mannion two RTÉ insiders are still there ahead of Thalia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

CFlat wrote: »
    Ah come on Eyepatch Des Cahill got through because he's so well known and probably regarded by some as a national treasure. Nobody ever heard of Thalia Heffernan before this show started. At least let's be honest why he got through and not pretend that it's his improved dancing prowess.
    By no means am I on for an argument. I've expressed my true opinion, as the programmme came over to me. Everyone else here is welcome to their opinion. Far as I'm concerned there's no right or wrong here. End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fardoun

Fair Comment - the RTE Celebs have to be kept in it - DesC is gettin the contrary - keep him in it for a laugh vote;
    Basically its a fix - tbh I never waste my 60c voting but do pay my licence fee .... for this farce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

golfball37 wrote: »
    Lack of dance off and the two evictions so far really have really proved why RTÉ shouldn't be let near anything. It's embarrassing Des Cahill and Theresa Mannion two RTÉ insiders are still there ahead of Thalia

It's not RTE's choice if there's a dance off or not though.
    And if people want the likes of Des or Teresa gone, then they should vote to keep their own favourites in.

Anyway, regarding the show, Teresa Mannion looked like Brenda Fricker this evening.
    I was sure she was dancing to My Left Foot in honour of Christy Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Kelly performed 9 to 5 on SCD last year and one section of the dance was similar to Teresa's dance tonight - although Kelly was very good. The choices of music for the dances are similar. Now that Thalia is gone, I'm shouting for Des B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Whether it's RTE's choice regarding dance off, its a joke that there's none and thalia went tonight.

The dance off on strictly is the one thing that brings it back to dancing from being a pure popularity contest.

That's me done....I'll not be tuning in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Only catching up now.....

God, it's hard going :o

First two dances are appalling - Teresa stomping around the place, and I don't even know where to start with Aidan..... and what's MOST annoying is the judges plamásing them and glossing over the fact that they're AWFUL.

Dunno if I'll last the distance.

Were there any outstanding dances that I should just FF to???

• Advertisement

OK, Katherine was a big step up, in fairness.

What utterly crap music to try to do a samba to though.

There might be something to salvage in this after all.....

Oooh, Denise was good! Very good!

Cannot quite wrap my head around her doing a rumba that well, and her as Bridget Kiely in Red Rock - talk about contrasts!

I see Ryan was out to antagonise the judges again, just cos..... he really is just a big child, isn't he.

It looked like he forgot the routine half way through that
    It was brutal in the middle
    Did he??? There was a whole bit where he just stood there and she danced around him, and he was so good through all the rest of it that that seems like the only logical explanation!

That was brilliant, in fairness!

Hahaha, Eva driving her partner nuts :D

God, she's unbearable.

Face like thunder at the judges' comments! And that peering out of the corner of her eyes at people who say something she doesn't want to hear....

God she's such a killjoy :mad:

Oh holy God.... what have I just seen (through my fingers from behind the sofa :eek:)

Karen looked (and was) brilliant!

Des..... not so much......

Gawd.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I wonder is carrying Des to that extent every week beginning to wear a bit thin with her....couldn't blame her if it did...
    If the cheering and chanting from the audience is anything to go by she'd better get used to it.

I can see Des winning the bloody thing!

Oooh, Aoibheann is well able to move that body ...... hate the rumba (and REALLY hate that song) but that was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

C3XZ8WzW8AA0nXZ.jpg:large

2ad240f12654c1c8baeda3afa66fd9950eea77e4ae9448f9484ce6cdc109f956.jpg

Seriously, OMG how I'd love to....

Did Giulia elbow Des fairly hard in the ribs during that dance??? :eek:

Dunno about this "contemporary" lark - are there not enough traditional dances where we (as the audience) might have some chance of knowing what's meant to be going on?

Looked good.... but as I say, I've no idea what it was actually meant to contain! Was more like a final showdance, IMO.

amdublin wrote: »
    Theresa and Des left in. Ridiculous.

Really liked Thalia
    This
    OverRide wrote: »
    Merciful hour Amanda 'you've had so many wonderful moments on the show '

So much fake on this show

And this.
    blackcard wrote: »
    It was plain to see that there were three contestants far inferior to Thalia

And most of all, this.

WTF was that result all about? :mad:

I thought the Brits over the years were bad enough, keeping the likes of Anne Widdecombe and John Sargent in over far better dancers - but it looks like we're going to beat them hands down at their own game.

Harumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thalia just wasn't known well enough to last this. So I wasn't really that surprised to see her go. Even tough she was a good enough dancer.
    I did actually like her tough and I'd like to see her get a bit more air time on television. I found her a lot more likeable than Roz Purcell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's not RTE's choice if there's a dance off or not though.
    And if people want the likes of Des or Teresa gone, then they should vote to keep their own favourites in.

Why is it not RTE's choice whether there's a dance off or not?

pilly wrote: »
    Why is it not RTE's choice whether there's a dance off or not?

It's not their show. Shinawil produce it under franchise from BBC and BBC set out exact how the show is produced. RTE have practically zero say in how the show is run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's not their show. Shinawil produce it under franchise from BBC and BBC set out exact how the show is produced. RTE have practically zero say in how the show is run.

Oh right, didn't realise that. I think the lack of a dance off is really affecting the show.

Although to be fair Des C is probably high up with the public vote so maybe he wouldn't end up in the dance off anyway.

pilly wrote: »
    Oh right, didn't realise that. I think the lack of a dance off is really affecting the show.

Although to be fair Des C is probably high up with the public vote so maybe he wouldn't end up in the dance off anyway.

I agree. I would much prefer to have a dance-off as well. I have a sneaking suspicion Des is polling highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Des' partner is the major reason as to why Des was voted high. People wanted to keep seeing more of her. "Local girl makes good!" She is a real star in every sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Des' partner is the major reason as to why Des was voted high. People wanted to keep seeing more of her. "Local girl makes good!" She is a real star in every sense.

very good point there. I imagine she is a very popular figure in the Irish dancing (as opposed to Irish dancing, in the Michael Flatley sense!) circuit. She probably has legions of support from that industry whereas the other European dancers wouldn't attract such votes.

I'd love to do a study into the demographics of Irish "talent" show voters. Obviously family/friends are a huge part.

Theresa would be attracting a lot of support from cancer survivor groups I would imagine

The boyband guy would have obvious fans

Tommy Dillon's daughter probably has a large social network of friends and is probably using this to give her career another boost

Des Bishop is Des Bishop, smarmy but well known

Katherine Lynch has a fan following, is very likeable and probably has a great social network also. She is also entertaining and giving a good account of herself as a dancer.

Kerry people stick together so O Mahony will attract enough votes to keep him in until mid point (cough cough Healy Raes)

Again, Denise McCormack will rely heavily on friends initially but now she will also attract voters based on her merits as a dancer.

I can't quiet figure out Eva's fan base. I know she is well known by viewers but would they pick up the phone to vote for her? I reckon she will go within next 2 rounds, bar a conspiracy.

I was shocked with Hughie's exit and it smells extremely fishy. There does seem to be a nasty vibe against him though on social media, a lot of it through association with his fella. I still was shocked he didn't get votes considering his notierity at the minute and the fact that he was garnering a lot of publicity.

Exits, I predict: (based on my scientific analysis of the voting system!)
    3. Eva/Des Bishop
    4. Eva/Des Bishop
    5. Aidan O Mahoney
    6. Teresa Mannion
    7. Aoibheann/Des Cahill
    8. "/"
    9. Katherine Lynch/Denise
    Final: Denise or Katherine and Boyband Guy

Who's Tommy Dillon's daughter :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who's Tommy Dillon's daughter :confused:

Take your pick!

I140515_205137_2776770oTextCS_61962583.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Who's tommy Dillon?

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Who's tommy Dillon?
    Was just coming back to ask exactly that!

Advertisement