Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

pc7 wrote: »
    Who's tommy Dillon?

Ah, here. No need for that. The Ram is a national icon.

FWIW, Tommy Dillon is a character in Fair City, Aoibheann played his daughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

very good point there. I imagine she is a very popular figure in the Irish dancing (as opposed to Irish dancing, in the Michael Flatley sense!) circuit. She probably has legions of support from that industry whereas the other European dancers wouldn't attract such votes.

I'd love to do a study into the demographics of Irish "talent" show voters. Obviously family/friends are a huge part.

Theresa would be attracting a lot of support from cancer survivor groups I would imagine

The boyband guy would have obvious fans

Tommy Dillon's daughter probably has a large social network of friends and is probably using this to give her career another boost

Des Bishop is Des Bishop, smarmy but well known

Katherine Lynch has a fan following, is very likeable and probably has a great social network also. She is also entertaining and giving a good account of herself as a dancer.

Kerry people stick together so O Mahony will attract enough votes to keep him in until mid point (cough cough Healy Raes)

Again, Denise McCormack will rely heavily on friends initially but now she will also attract voters based on her merits as a dancer.

I can't quiet figure out Eva's fan base. I know she is well known by viewers but would they pick up the phone to vote for her? I reckon she will go within next 2 rounds, bar a conspiracy.

I was shocked with Hughie's exit and it smells extremely fishy. There does seem to be a nasty vibe against him though on social media, a lot of it through association with his fella. I still was shocked he didn't get votes considering his notierity at the minute and the fact that he was garnering a lot of publicity.

Exits, I predict: (based on my scientific analysis of the voting system!)
    3. Eva/Des Bishop
    4. Eva/Des Bishop
    5. Aidan O Mahoney
    6. Teresa Mannion
    7. Aoibheann/Des Cahill
    8. "/"
    9. Katherine Lynch/Denise
    Final: Denise or Katherine and Boyband Guy

Apart from that, I imagine Theresa would have a soft place in many people's hearts because of her famous weather forecast during the storms LOL!

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Apart from that, I imagine Theresa would have a soft place in many people's hearts because of her famous weather forecast during the storms LOL!

I think every viewer was sick of hearing about that after America Byram and Westlife's 400th reference to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ah, here. No need for that. The Ram is a national icon.

FWIW, Tommy Dillon is a character in Fair City, Aoibheann played his daughter

Is he not in Red Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

very good point there. I imagine she is a very popular figure in the Irish dancing (as opposed to Irish dancing, in the Michael Flatley sense!) circuit. She probably has legions of support from that industry whereas the other European dancers wouldn't attract such votes.

She's popular but I wouldn't go so far as to say she has legions of fans. It's quite a small community.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    She's popular but I wouldn't go so far as to say she has legions of fans. It's quite a small community.

I meant comparatively.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I just don't get who's paying to vote for dr Eva! She's not a nice person and can't dance

I just don't get who's paying to vote for dr Eva! She's not a nice person and can't dance

How do you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

As for Dr. Eva, her black costume did her no favours whatsoever. She looked like she could have been a banshee on the way to a wake. :eek: I don't remeber Mary Poppins being dressed like that in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How do you know that?

Ok her tv persona and personality as portrayed in tv don't come across very nice (in my opinion and others that have ever discussed her with me). I'm yet to meet a person who likes her.

Ok her tv persona and personality as portrayed in tv don't come across very nice (in my opinion and others that have ever discussed her with me). I'm yet to meet a person who likes her.

Maybe because you are yet to meet anyone who actually personally knows her! It is clear that she plays up to a role as the mean strict health guru. I haven'[t a clue who is voting for her either but I imagine RTE are very much rooting for her

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can anybody answer this for me.
    Do you know when it goes down to the final three in the voting is that in no particular order or are those people in the bottom three?

Can anybody answer this for me.
    Do you know when it goes down to the final three in the voting is that in no particular order or are those people in the bottom three?

Tis a fair point, and it's kind of hard to know why they do it this way at all.

The announcer says the ones going through are called in no particular order, so why have a big focus on three couples at the end rather than two just before announcing the couple being eliminated?

Would you not expect them to name one of the remaining three couples as being safe and then focus on just the final two couples before saying who was going home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

It's not their show. Shinawil produce it under franchise from BBC and BBC set out exact how the show is produced. RTE have practically zero say in how the show is run.
    I was just coming on to ask if anyone knew why they don't have a dance off, giving the judges final say, so it doesn't become a popularity contest over an ability to dance!
    I think maybe the UK Strictly started this way too, and brought in the dance off a few seasons in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I was just coming on to ask if anyone knew why they don't have a dance off, giving the judges final say, so it doesn't become a popularity contest over an ability to dance!
    I think maybe the UK Strictly started this way too, and brought in the dance off a few seasons in.
    If I remember rightly, there was always a dance-off, and then for a couple of seasons they changed it for some reason best known to themselves, and there was no dance off. The public screamed blue murder, and it was quickly re-instated.

ETA - aha, I was only half right :)
    From Series 5 to Series 7 a new system called the dance-off began. In Series 8 and Series 9 the dance-off was axed, the following series resumed the dance-off and continued since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strictly_Come_Dancing#Dance_Off

Cherrycola wrote: »

I think they brought it in on the BBC version so they could, as you say, at least filter out the really bad dancers and ensure it wasn't just purely a popularity contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think they brought it in on the BBC version so they could, as you say, at least filter out the really bad dancers and ensure it wasn't just purely a popularity contest.

Until RTÉ do the same the show has zero credibility imo

golfball37 wrote: »
    Until RTÉ do the same the show has zero credibility imo

I wouldn't be that harsh but I agree that the show lacks a bit of excitement at the end without the dance off

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tinderella

Are the dances choreographed solely by the dance partners? Surely there's other professionals helping them each week? I've never watched any of the UK shows so have no idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tinderella wrote:
    Are the dances choreographed solely by the dance partners? Surely there's other professionals helping them each week? I've never watched any of the UK shows so have no idea!

One of the 'celebs' commented on the show this week that her pro and x had done a great job with the choreography so it sounds like there's at least one person helping each couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tinderella wrote: »

There are other dancers helping to choreograph the dances.

Former Strictly pros (and winners) Darren Bennett and Lilia Kopylova are the choreographers for the Irish show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

There are other dancers helping to choreograph the dances.

Former Strictly pros (and winners) Darren Bennett and Lilia Kopylova are the choreographers for the Irish show.

If that's true I'm a little disappointed in the choreography....not a patch on the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

368100 wrote: »
    If that's true I'm a little disappointed in the choreography....not a patch on the UK

I hate all the time fillers during the dances (usually at the start). In SCD, that usually only happens with a very poor dancer - in the RTE show, I've noticed it with most of the dancers.

The judges are on the Late Late tonight.

Bump-ety bump. Just getting the thread on the front page for the boardsies.

Denise is channeling Shakira tonight. Very good start by her and Ryan

duridian wrote: »
    Denise is channeling Shakira tonight. Very good start by her and Kai.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭blackcard

I don't know why Nicky has to repeat the judges comments when talking to the dancers. Surely he could come up with something original

• Advertisement

?

Ryan, i meant, not Kai.

Advertisement