Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Eyepatch wrote: »
    They're called out "in no particular order". The only one that's definite, as to placement, is the one that's at the bottom.

That's my understanding of it to but a lot of people thinks that's the bottom three in the voting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

That's my understanding of it to but a lot of people thinks that's the bottom three in the voting!
    can see how a lot of people would think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Eyepatch wrote: »
    can see how a lot of people would think that.

In fairness I think it strange - at least to me. (Please be aware that my thinking is affected by my Asperger's which may be the reason it doesn't quite click so readily with me.)

What I think really put this idea into my head was the fact that they focus on three couples at the end, rather than two couples, just before announcing who is eliminated. For me it kind of breaks the sequence prematurely and creates an apparent boundary between the earlier announced ones and the last three.

Taking last night for example: Instead of spotlighting the remaining three; DesB, Katherine and Eva - and then jumping straight to announcing that the loser was Eva - if they had said: "Next dancer safely through is DesB... and our final act going safely through to next week is Katherine", it would still be telling us that Eva was a goner. But wouldn't it also be holding more plainly with the "in no particular order, this person is safe" sequence from the start?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I wonder how they do decide the order though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Probably randomly ordered or they have the least popular of the votes of the three couples or they have those top of the leader board and then one with the least votes. My guess its the three of the least popular as Thalia was one of the three two weeks running and Dr Eva was as well? Can't recall. Glad to see most of my favourites still on the show! :D

• Advertisement

duridian wrote: »
    In fairness I think it strange - at least to me. (Please be aware that my thinking is affected by my Asperger's which may be the reason it doesn't quite click so readily with me.)

What I think really put this idea into my head was the fact that they focus on three couples at the end, rather than two couples, just before announcing who is eliminated. For me it kind of breaks the sequence prematurely and creates an apparent boundary between the earlier announced ones and the last three.

Taking last night for example: Instead of spotlighting the remaining three; DesB, Katherine and Eva - and then jumping straight to announcing that the loser was Eva - if they had said: "Next dancer safely through is DesB... and our final act going safely through to next week is Katherine", it would still be telling us that Eva was a goner. But wouldn't it also be holding more plainly with the "in no particular order, this person is safe" sequence from the start?
    I get your points, duridian. This method does seem to cause quite a bit of confusion for a lot of people. People like Des C, that could be expected to be in the bottom three, was actually called out first as being Safe and Des B. who could be expected to be near the top, was actually in the three remaining at the end, which does not mean he was actually in the bootom three as regards scores. Confusing, I admit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

The most talented dancer may not be the winner of DWTS!

I watched a similar dancing show some years ago and the dancer with the with the biggest personality dancing skills/ ability was the winner, he was well known and loved in soccer circles if you remember, the public loved him.

You can get to see that some of the dancers have massive egos as the weeks go on. The dancers with previous experience have a huge advantage.

I happened to see a bit of the Today show this evening and part of the show was devoted to DWTS , Dr Eva was interviewed via Skype and her body language gave it all away, she needs to be in control and calling the shots, I'd say her partner is glad he doesn't have to continue working with her. They dancing guest professionals on the Today show made the comment that she deserved to go and that there was zero chemistry between herself and her partner!

I see Maura D doing a few steps with one of the dancing pros, and apparently she is doing this weekly since the show started, no doubt she is willing to be one of the contestants for next year, are they getting €3,500 for every week they are in the show?

I think RTE will find a way to keep Des C in it for as long as is possible, watch this space!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Was listening to Eva and Sean on Tubridy this morning and every time poor Sean tried to say anything, Eva was shouting over him bigging herself up again. I'd say that he's so relieved to be rid of her. I'd imagine that she was hugely difficult to work with. I would have loved to see Ryan paired with her. What a clash of personalities that would have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Was listening to Eva and Sean on Tubridy this morning and every time poor Sean tried to say anything, Eva was shouting over him bigging herself up again. I'd say that he's so relieved to be rid of her. I'd imagine that she was hugely difficult to work with. I would have loved to see Ryan paired with her. What a clash of personalities that would have been!

To be honest, I would hazard a guess that she really didn't want to do the competition in the first place but due to the fact she is getting plenty of work and her own new programme with RTE, she was, like Des Cahill, cornered in the RTE canteen and "forced" to do it.

She looked very uncomfortable and I imagine most on here would also. People need to cut her some slack

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

To be honest, I would hazard a guess that she really didn't want to do the competition in the first place but due to the fact she is getting plenty of work and her own new programme with RTE, she was, like Des Cahill, cornered in the RTE canteen and "forced" to do it.

She looked very uncomfortable and I imagine most on here would also. People need to cut her some slack

Nah she was a pain :D

• Advertisement

I just think the vitriol she gets is disproportionate to her behaviour and personality. She is from a different culture with a more straight to the point manner of approach. I wouldn't be a fan but some of the hate she gets here is far too strong. Just my thoughts but we all have opinions! She really looked out of her comfort zone and I felt sorry for her to be honest!

I just think the vitriol she gets is disproportionate to her behaviour and personality. She is from a different culture with a more straight to the point manner of approach. I wouldn't be a fan but some of the hate she gets here is far too strong. Just my thoughts but we all have opinions! She really looked out of her comfort zone and I felt sorry for her to be honest!

Autosport wrote: »

Nah she was a pain :D

That's fair enough! But others have been using words like hateful, evil and b1tch! Not very nice.

That's fair enough! But others have been using words like hateful, evil and b1tch! Not very nice.
    I agree. I did not like to see her nicknamed Dr. Evil etc. Nobody deserves a nickname like that! i see no reason for behaviour like this. It really reflects on the person that uses language in this way.

I can get it as a joke to call her that, she played up to be the "mean one" on OT, a character device but you could tell by the tone of certain posters they had some ridiculously unmerited hatred towards her.
    Everyone is entitled to their own judgements but I just think it was bordering on abuse at times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Look, no hatred from me. I just thought she came across as quite rude at times, particularly to her dancer Sean. Thus my belief that she would have been difficult for him, particularly as I can't see him being a tough teacher.

But, as you said, there is culture differences in that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Although a nice guy, I think her partner was a very weak dancer and choreographer. Sometimes looking at them, nothing made sense with the music. At least one of them should have been in time! The whole dance ended prematurely on Sunday night. He has to take responsibility for that!

I don't mind her too much, but I think she'd be a nightmare to work with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I said I wasn't watching Sunday's Episode after Thalia went the week before and no dance off meant the prospect of it just being a popularity contest rather than a dance competition, but I caught a few mins of it last night on repeat....didn't know ole gravel throat was out sick and didn't mind Darren Bennett in his place.....might just watch the full episode.

I suppose there's no chance ole Gravel Throat is out again this week? no?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I read somewhere earlier that they were going to confirm if Julian Benson was going to be on today because he was still sick this week. Can't find any report now tough!
    I also read an article in the sun saying that they were planning season two and they mentioned a few celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I read somewhere earlier that they were going to confirm if Julian Benson was going to be on today because he was still sick this week. Can't find any report now tough!
    I also read an article in the sun saying that they were planning season two and they mentioned a few celebrities.

Can't say I missed Julian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

God this is cringily puntastic :mad:

At least Julian is still absent....

Evening folks. I presume the routines will get a little longer in duration each week as there are fewer couples remaining? Is that what they do on the UK edition?

duridian wrote: »
    Evening folks. I presume the routines will get a little longer in duration each week as there are fewer couples remaining? Is that what they do on the UK edition?
    Nope, the programmes get shorter.

Gawd knows what RTE will do though!

Wow, they managed to introduce TM without mentioning weather/storm/unnecessary etc etc.

Wonders will never cease!

Dreading the dance though......

Thought they might have worked the Siberian air mass over the country into it...

OK, this is a LOT better than previous weeks!

Although they look like they're knocking knees the whole time!

Slow and formal definitely suits her better.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Awful
    Just one corneto, give it to her and tell her to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She's out of her head, a drug test likely to follow that performance .

Yeah, it seemed to flow a bit better all right tonight. Still didn't have the kind of natural feel that other ladies like Aoibhin or Denise seen to have though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Much improved from previous weeks, think it's her best dance yet.

Advertisement