Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I do agree with the dance off in principle.
    However it is impossible to avoid it being a popularity contest entirely unless it's solely based on a professional scoring system by the judges (which of course would be a revenue no-go for RTE) but we still see Des hanging in there as the public vote is keeping him out of bottom two dance off so it's not fool proof.
    But there you go - there is an element of surprise in the whole thing!

It just means that the weakest dancer who ends up in the dance-off will (almost) definitely get voted off.

It's an acceptable balance between a pure popularity/popular vote contest and a straight dancing/judges vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Terrible that Denise isn't getting the public votes. It's only a matter of time before we see a dance-off between the likes or her and Dale while Des and/or Aidan slips through yet again.
    Still, mission accomplished. Teresa is gone. As said by another poster earlier, she didn't improve one bit as the show progressed and was starting to get quite irate with the judges' comments.
    Aidan really is appalling. His waltz was nothing more than a series of change steps. Very basic and he didn't even do them properly. Looks like the Kerry folk are voting in large numbers though.
    I didn't think much of Aoibhin's Paso. "A tantrum on the bed" as we called it when the two of us were watching it. Vitali seemed more intent on being the centre of attention and some of the dance just looked out of place.

If we can get rid of Des and Aidan, we'll actually have a daycent enough mix of dancers left!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Heroditas wrote: »
    Terrible that Denise isn't getting the public votes. It's only a matter of time before we see a dance-off between the likes or her and Dale while Des and/or Aidan slips through yet again.
    Still, mission accomplished. Teresa is gone. As said by another poster earlier, she didn't improve one bit as the show progressed and was starting to get quite irate with the judges' comments.
    Aidan really is appalling. His waltz was nothing more than a series of change steps. Very basic and he didn't even do them properly. Looks like the Kerry folk are voting in large numbers though.
    I didn't think much of Aoibhin's Paso. "A tantrum on the bed" as we called it when the two of us were watching it. Vitali seemed more intent on being the centre of attention and some of the dance just looked out of place.

If we can get rid of Des and Aidan, we'll actually have a daycent enough mix of dancers left!

I think Denise is not getting the votes because she just doesn't come across as likeable. Also she's had 2 years dance training already so has a bit of an unfair advantage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think it's Ryan who is unlikeable but I gave him props for his nice comment to Teresa at the end.

Having watched Strictly for years without voting, I'm still not used to remembering to vote. And I also watch it on record so I can skip through Amanda and ad breaks. Each time I've voted, it's been a different person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Only catching up with recording of last night's show now. Does anyone else recognise the dress Julia wore for her Tango with Kai during Roisin O's song? Silvery grey velvet with a shocking pink lining, absolutely beautiful on her, but I'm sure I remember seeing it on Strictly last year. Given that some people here spotted Georgia-May's dress on Karen a few weeks back, does anyone remember who wore Julia's dress first time round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Only catching up with recording of last night's show now. Does anyone else recognise the dress Julia wore for her Tango with Kai during Roisin O's song? Silvery grey velvet with a shocking pink lining, absolutely beautiful on her, but I'm sure I remember seeing it on Strictly last year. Given that some people here spotted Georgia-May's dress on Karen a few weeks back, does anyone remember who wore Julia's dress first time round?

I hadn't seen the dress before but I did notice it. Stunning!

Managed to track the dress down after a bit of YouTube searching (not that I'm obsessional or anything ;)) Joanne Clifton wore it for her breathtaking Argentine Tango with Ore Aduba. I absolutely loved the dress and it worked so well in the dance. Julia carried it off beautifully too this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Managed to track the dress down after a bit of YouTube searching (not that I'm obsessional or anything ;)) Joanne Clifton wore it for her breathtaking Argentine Tango with Ore Aduba. I absolutely loved the dress and it worked so well in the dance. Julia carried it off beautifully too this week.

Jaysus, so do they recycle the dresses?

I mean, sell them off second-hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pilly wrote: »
    Jaysus, so do they recycle the dresses?

I mean, sell them off second-hand?

There's a company that holds all the dresses and they're then used for other Strictly/DWTS shows, along with being used for competitions or other stage shows.

I don't think they sell them, but the original "Strictly Come Dancing" show in the UK has hundreds (if not thousands) of dresses stored away from previous seasons. Many of the dresses take hours of expert design/dressmaking to create and embellish. I think it makes sense to give them more than one outing, and also to supplement the wardrobe of new "Dancing With the Stars" shows starting up in different countries. Several comments in the earlier weeks of this thread commented that some of the dresses on the Irish show were not up to standard. Must admit, I was delighted to see this particular dress again!

Edit: Oops! Heroditas had already answered this one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm always late to the thread as I don't watch it live. Some thoughts:

I loved Amanda's dress last night!

I feel really sorry for Denise. Although she has experience, Ryan is pushing her too hard and she seemed genuinely scared of some of the moves last night. They didn't finish in time with the music either time! I think it's dislike of him that placed them in the bottom two.

Aobhín seems to have plateaued...but Vitali is mesmerising.

Dayl leaves me cold. Reminds me very much of how I felt about Danny on this years Strictly. Very good dancer, but no emotional connection.

Thank God Teresa is gone. She looked so pretty last night, but there was almost nothing from her that could be called dancing. Her sons looked hilariously mortified at the end of the show.

Katherine is really impressing me with her can-do attitude and characterisations.

Not even the Marino Waltz could make me want Des to stay, but I'd say the emotion shown has secured his place for another couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

sadie06 wrote: »
    I feel really sorry for Denise. Although she has experience, Ryan is pushing her too hard and she seemed genuinely scared of some of the moves last night. They didn't finish in time with the music either time! I think it's dislike of him that placed them in the bottom two.

I know a good few people and we'd all say she's a good dancer but she doesn't come across as likable at all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

(Unfortunately) it looks like Julian is back.

https://twitter.com/RTE2fm/status/836621005267300353

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Noooooo!!!!

Much prefer Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Are we all watching? Julian is back! :(

Yea I'm here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Evening all. Looks like the rumours of Julian returning this week are true. He was in the audience last night on Darcy so I knew then that he probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Katherine has quite the look tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,150 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

13449398.gif

She did a very good job of channeling Tina Turner there, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Tuna Tirner

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was expecting...

Who told Julian they wanted him back?

She looks really disappointed!

Who told Julian they wanted him back?

The same voices from beyond that told Enda, perhaps?

Should do a Beatles week

Letter B, letter B ,letter B ,letter B
    Not needed to spell wisdom Letter B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Loved Catherine's look tonight and I would only love to be able to dance like that after 9 weeks!

Katherine should have gotten a higher score. I might have said some swear words at the Tv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Denise is in the dance off again, regardless of judges scores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Autosport wrote: »
    Katherine should have gotten a higher score. I might have said some swear words at the Tv

I thought so too and you could see she was disappointed..

Advertisement