Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

IF this show comes back for another series, they need a live band - it's just not the same without it. They need to up the budget which is probably highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

mojoeback wrote: »
    Thought that might happen. Feckin Kerry voters, as if it isn't bad enough that they have inflicted the Healey-Raes on us:mad:
    Thanks aidan. € 200.00 won on bet. X
    Mines a rum and coke..
    Mines a double. Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Gooch Cooper has just applied! Gooch is a Garda and a Kerry footballer!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

True enough the young good looking male probably gets the votes over a female counterpart especially if it's a largely female demographic that votes. Maybe the judges vote should be a factor in the result. Of course that might damage the vote line revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Sure the Healy Raes have TWO offices in Leinster House to make calls from now, it was inevitable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I think it's possible O'Mahony got a lot of country votes as some of us only have the 4 stations and a far higher percentage of people from the country would be watching the show than say Dublin where there's more choice.

Also for those who aren't into GAA he's not a popular player. Cynical, on the edge, would be disliked as a player in all other counties and probably half of Kerry. Having said that he showed a more gentlemanly, gracious side on the show.

Denise was the real winner tonight 90/90 points. Aoibhin 88/90 and Aidan 80/90.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

3C29B75400000578-0-image-m-19_1484556821345.jpg
    I pray you, in your letters,
    When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,
    Speak of me as I am; nothing extenuate,
    Nor set down aught in malice: then, must you speak
    Of one that lov'd not wisely but too well;
    Of one not easily jealous, but, being wrought,
    Perplex'd in the extreme; of one whose hand,
    Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away
    Richer than all his tribe; of one whose subdu'd eyes
    Albeit unused to the melting mood,
    Drop tears as fast as the Arabian trees
    Their med'cinable gum. Set you down this;
    And say besides, that in Aleppo once,
    Where a malignant and a turban'd Turk
    Beat a Venetian and traduc'd the state,
    I took by the throat the circumcised dog,
    And smote him thus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If it's all down to young female voters then why was Dayl voted off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well done Aidan six all Ireland Medals now. You never gave them the chance to eliminate you. This was not a dancing contest. TV channels want the phone revenue generated by the public. For the last few weeks they had the dance off to eliminate the weaker dancers if the public did not vote enough for them. Aidan was hugely popular obviously and was a good competitor. If you watch over all the last few weeks he was the only competitor that never made signals for the public to vote for him.

This is the real world of competition good guys come second. It was always likely from last week that Aidan would win when there was two female competitors in the final. If Dale had remained he might have split the vote. If you ever watch these singing/dancing competitions male competitors have an advantage in phone in. When the judges eliminated Dale it was a gimmie for Aidan. He must have felt like it was an All Ireland Football final playing Mayo.

Slava Ukrainii

thejuggler wrote: »
    True enough the young good looking male probably gets the votes over a female counterpart especially if it's a largely female demographic that votes. Maybe the judges vote should be a factor in the result. Of course that might damage the vote line revenue

That's it, all down to the vote money. There was an O'Connor chap from Wexford who won You're A Star around 2007 and it was up there with tonight in terms of worst performer winning. He had a massive campaign behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Pity they don't know who came second

anna080 wrote: »
    Pity they don't know who came second

I thought they'd at least start off telling us who came 3rd and then the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of people saying they wont be watching next year id say that was the last series of Dancing with the Stars Ireland. Oh well bring on Strictly the proper show

Strictly is a better show but for RTÉ, this first year wasn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

goose2005 wrote: »
    Sure the Healy Raes have TWO offices in Leinster House to make calls from now, it was inevitable

And the gardai on overtime making loads of calls for O'Mahony.

If it's all down to young female voters then why was Dayl voted off?

There's no arguing with that :) Must be those young female voters of the noughties have grown up and are now voting for 30 something males?! It's confusing.

The gaa thing does not make sense, if it was Noel McGrath Tipperary or the Gooch, Kerry, fair enough they are popular and respected. No gaa person in Donegal would vote for O'Mahony after his 'marking' of Michael Murphy in 2014. Indeed that statement is true for most counties he played against. Also local club rivalry. If a Laois footballer was on DWTS no one bar his clubmates in the county would vote for him.

O'Mahony is just not a nationally respected gaa figure. I really don't know who voted for him or if he had some campaign going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Poor Katie is never getting out now!
    She's screwed now. Aoibhin grew on me a lot because of this series.

nagdefy wrote: »
    I don't get it though. As a gaa man from Laois i'd no more be inclined to vote for O'Mahony. They surely wouldn't in Cork!

Aidan was A Garda in Cork for a good few years and he was well liked from people who met him!

I was certain he worked in a bank.

Overall not totally surprised. I wanted Dayl or Aoibhin to win from week one. I really liked Thalia and would like to see more of her than Roz Purcell.
    Generally with these shows I normally hate the joke act but I never felt that towards Aidan for some reason. I thought he came across well and it should open doors for him presenting GAA shows/commentary now. He got what he wanted the Glitter Ball for baby Lucia!

Christ, Dr Eva looked an absolute misery guts tonight. Just stood in the background looking like she wanted to be anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

honeybear wrote: »
    Strictly is a better show but for RTÉ, this first year wasn't bad

If there is second series they have to overhall the voting, give the judges scores more power over the public and bring in the dance off earlier, I know for the first few weeks they can't have a dance off due to time but bring it in a week earlier then it was this year

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Delighted for him most definitely most deserving. No dance background he just got better each week from practice and learning. Denise and Aoibhinn are brilliant but they began very strong with their background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No, the Gooch works for AIB

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

thejuggler wrote:

I wouldn't call Aidan young or good looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭newdriverlad

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    If there is second series they have to overhall the voting, give the judges scores more power over the public and bring in the dance off earlier, I know for the first few weeks they can't have a dance off due to time but bring it in a week earlier then it was this year

Hard look tonight Ryan.
    Don't worry Ryan, they'll probably be a second season. I'm not sure if you'll be asked back with that chip on your shoulder but it makes for good television so you probably will.

pilly wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Aidan young or good looking!

The people I know who found Aidan good look are generally into the more traditional good look guy and not the good looking guy of the 2000's!

Aidan was A Garda in Cork for a good few years and he was well liked from people who met him!

Overall not totally surprised. I wanted Dayl or Aoibhin to win from week one. I really liked Thalia and would like to see more of her than Roz Purcell.
    Generally with these shows I normally hate the joke act but I never felt that towards Aidan for some reason. I thought he came across well and it should open doors for him presenting GAA shows/commentary now. He got what he wanted the Glitter Ball for baby Lucia!

Right. I suppose i was thinking of the average Cork gaa man over the border from Rathmore who wouldn't be rushing to vote for him. But that's interesting.

I never regarded Aidan as a joke like Dessie. He was just fairly decent but looked a bit muscle bound for a while. I had Dayl, Des Bishop ahead of him and at time Katherine Lynch. He went out on a great note with his final dance and i'd say 'Holding Out For A Hero' struck a cord with some of us of a certain age :)

Hard look tonight Ryan.
    Don't worry Ryan, they'll probably be a second season. I'm not sure if you'll be asked back with that chip on your shoulder but it makes for good television so you probably will.

I think the "joke" is over now..... Never repeat the same joke twice, never mind 10 times!

No, the Gooch works for AIB

Bankers/Guards all the same! Both screw you over eventually!!

The "abs" comment during his second dance is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Right. I suppose i was thinking of the average Cork gaa man over the border from Rathmore who wouldn't be rushing to vote for him. But that's interesting.

I never regarded Aidan as a joke like Dessie. He was just fairly decent but looked a bit muscle bound for a while. I had Dayl, Des Bishop ahead of him and at time Katherine Lynch. He went out on a great note with his final dance and i'd say 'Holding Out For A Hero' struck a cord with some of us of a certain age :)
    I really thought des bishop would be in the final.

I actually didn't mean to say Aidan was a joke. I meant not the best overall as a dancer.

I think what helped got Aidan votes from people was he was just a typical guy who was a Garda and played GAA and of course becoming a Daddy in the middle of the series helped. I think people really connected with him. He had no dance experience compared to Aoibhin, Denise or Dayl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭newdriverlad

I think the "joke" is over now..... Never repeat the same joke twice, never mind 10 times!

I just love winding him up. I do feel he tough the poster has a chip on his shoulder similar to Ryan tough!

Advertisement