Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How to improve the show next year:
    1. Live orchestra/band for the music
    2. Dance-off from the first elimination
    3. Multiple voting options - not just texts or phonecalls
    4. Bigger studio audience (if that's possible with the studio size but the atmosphere was really flat tonight)

Not a lot to be said about tonight that hasn't already been said. Aidan was a weak dancer but had the public vote. Not a lot you can do in a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never really watched Strictly in the past. Mainly because of Bruce. I watched a few bits on Youtube because of getting into like Dancing with the Stars. I hated the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

When you don't end up in a dance off throughout the show it's a sign of strong voting.

Denise did, wrongly so. I don't think Aibhinn did but stand open to correction.

As Donkeykong metioned, i was a little surprised with Des Bishop's lack of 'popularity' with the public.

As a gaa (and all sports) follower i was surprised at AOM's public vote. Throughout his career he received a good few red cards and was a real shaper on the pitch, acting the hard man, sneaky digs. Colm O'Rourke could hardly write a Sunday Indo column without mentioning his antics.

Someone like Tomas O'Se was regarded as being a much more manly type player and being genuinely hard as opposed to pretending to be. That's why i couldn't in anyway see him as being nationally popular in a way that say Bernard Brogan, the Gooch, Brendan Maher Tipp etc would be. Like Tommy Walsh, Kilkenny, took no prisoners but is full of personality. Aidan carried himself really well on the show but for any of us who have followed his inter county gaa career since 2003 this was at odds with what we saw on the pitch. Is this the real AOM or being a cute hoor?!

Anyway i don't begrudge him. He put in a great effort and improved immensely. THis isn't the greatest reality tv show travesty of all time.

nagdefy wrote: »
    When you don't end up in a dance off throughout the show it's a sign of strong voting.

Aoibhin was in the Dance off!

As Donkeykong metioned, i was a little surprised with Des Bishop's lack of 'popularity' with the public.

I think his facial expressions did him no favors. I know it might sound silly.

As a gaa (and all sports) follower i was surprised at AOM's public vote. Throughout his career he received a good few red cards and was a real shaper on the pitch, acting the hard man, sneaky digs. Colm O'Rourke could hardly write a Sunday Indo column without mentioning his antics.

I was the same regarding Aidan before this but I think people got to like him on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Someone like Tomas O'Se was regarded as being a much more manly type player and being genuinely hard as opposed to pretending to be. That's why i couldn't in anyway see him as being nationally popular in a way that say Bernard Brogan, the Gooch, Brendan Maher Tipp etc would be. Like Tommy Walsh, Kilkenny, took no prisoners but is full of personality. Aidan carried himself really well on the show but for any of us who have followed his inter county gaa career since 2003 this was at odds with what we saw on the pitch. Is this the real AOM or being a cute hoor?!

Anyway i don't begrudge him. He put in a great effort and improved immensely. THis isn't the greatest reality tv show travesty of all time.
    I still maintain that when des bishop was voted off they read it out wrongly and it should have been des cahill. But because it was around the time of the Oscars mix up they just let it go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm disappointed with the result, but I expected it at the same time, and I have to say he was much improved from the start. Denise was my winner but I found her show dance a little flat.

I think RTÉ did very well for a first year and I hope it's renewed. And I've really enjoyed all the chat on boards about it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When Aidan had the glitterball yolk in his hand, I kept waiting for him to stop up and turn to Denise and say 'you won this, this is not a joke, Denise is the real winner' while flashing a piece of paper 'Winner 2017 Denise McCormack' to the zoomed camera lens.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

When Aidan had the glitterball yolk in his hand, I kept waiting for me to stop up and turn to Denise and say 'you won this, this is not a joke, Denise is the real winner' while flashing a piece of paper 'Winner 2017 Denise McCormack' to the zoomed camera lens.

?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When Aidan had the glitterball yolk in his hand, I kept waiting for me to stop up and turn to Denise and say 'you won this, this is not a joke, Denise is the real winner' while flashing a piece of paper 'Winner 2017 Denise McCormack' to the zoomed camera lens.

?!
    Soz TTB..
    Edited.

To thine own self be true

I just realised whilst we all know Aidan isn't the best dancer in the world I hope it does show older people(even in their twenties up) who might want to learn to dance that they can and get good enough at it to even tough they didn't do it as children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

In many reality-type shows, a person's "journey" has a big influence on votes. Aidan came on the show as an "Ordinary Joe Soap", with no dance, or acting, experience. Each week, hde managed to stay on the show, for whatever reason. That "journey" was plain to be seen in his three performances this evening. His final "show dance" was great. I think this moved a lot of people to vote for him.

IMO. Denise and Aoibhinn should be placed an equal 2nd place. No quibbling over who was 2nd and who was third.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

Hey guys
    Sorry if this was already asked but I missed the show last nite.Can anyone tell me if/when it's repeated on TV and where I can watch it online,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Have to say I feel sorry for Aidan O'Mahoney with all the comments on social media .
    TBH I think he deserved the win from the point of view he came into the competition with 2 left feet, and improved so much over the time.
    He worked very hard and put great effort in. Not the best dancer (even he would acknowledge this) , but to see the difference from day 1 to final was brillant. The 2 girls were great from day 1 and while they were brillant dancers I actually preferred watching the others to see how the were improving.
    A public vote is always going to bring up this issue of "gaa votes" "kerry votes" etc, but the only way around this is leaving the voting to the judges.
    Not the worst programme from RTE to be fair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Have to say I feel sorry for Aidan O'Mahoney with all the comments on social media .
    TBH I think he deserved the win from the point of view he came into the competition with 2 left feet, and improved so much over the time.
    He worked very hard and put great effort in. Not the best dancer (even he would acknowledge this) , but to see the difference from day 1 to final was brillant. The 2 girls were great from day 1 and while they were brillant dancers I actually preferred watching the others to see how the were improving.
    A public vote is always going to bring up this issue of "gaa votes" "kerry votes" etc, but the only way around this is leaving the voting to the judges.
    Not the worst programme from RTE to be fair

I agree, he won and that's the end of it. I'm sure he's a tough enough guy not to give a ****e about social media though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

pilly wrote: »
    I agree, he won and that's the end of it. I'm sure he's a tough enough guy not to give a ****e about social media though anyway.

I have no doubt pilly, but at the same time its unfair on him.
    Id also imagine that a good percentage of those complaining didnt even bother to vote.

Eyepatch wrote: »
    In many reality-type shows, a person's "journey" has a big influence on votes. Aidan came on the show as an "Ordinary Joe Soap", with no dance, or acting, experience. Each week, hde managed to stay on the show, for whatever reason. That "journey" was plain to be seen in his three performances this evening. His final "show dance" was great. I think this moved a lot of people to vote for him.

IMO. Denise and Aoibhinn should be placed an equal 2nd place. No quibbling over who was 2nd and who was third.

Let's be fair! The only journey that really mattered for Aidan was the journey from Kerry!

Something that stood to Aidan was his fitness and great physicql strength, especially where the lifts were concerned. He put in great effort, especaially for the final. I'm happy for him that he won. Having said that, the two "ladies" must be gutted at the result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

SAMTALK wrote: »
    I have no doubt pilly, but at the same time its unfair on him.
    Id also imagine that a good percentage of those complaining didnt even bother to vote.

Very true, I voted for Denise last night for that very reason. I'm still not mad about her but thought she was by far the best dancer.

The amount of people sitting at home moaning who didn't vote is ridiculous. And most on this thread as well tbf. Lots said last week that they never vote.

If you don't then you've no right to complain really.

• Advertisement

Let's be fair! The only journey that really mattered for Aidan was the journey from Kerry!
    I disagree.

I disagree.

I was mostly joking!

Mostly! The other journeys that mattered were the journeys home from work and training!

But seriously if you look at twitter and those celebrating or urging the vote most of them end with "hup the Kingdom" and the likes! ! Kerry All Ireland winning footballers are, and this is no exaggetation, god like figures down there and a fella with 5 All Ireland medals it is pretty clear he will get a huge amount of votes!

When zi was young, our team used to go down for a week to Spa in Kerry and this was a period when Kerry were on a bit of a lul but by jesus they loved the players.

Maybe he got a few from his journey but it's pretty obvious where the vast majority of his votes emanated from.

I was mostly joking!

Mostly! The other journeys that mattered were the journeys home from work and training!

Maybe he got a few from his journey but it's pretty obvious where the vast majority of his votes emanated from.

That's only to be expected.

When zi was young, our team used to go down for a week to Spa in Kerry and this was a period when Kerry were on a bit of a lul but by jesus they loved the players.

Those Kerry voters demand success, even from their dancers, they're the worst kind of fcuking animals you'd come across ;)

I was mostly joking!

That's only to be expected.

So....what's your point when you said you disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was mostly joking!

But seriously if you look at twitter and those celebrating or urging the vote most of them end with "hup the Kingdom" and the likes! ! Kerry All Ireland winning footballers are, and this is no exaggetation, god like figures down there and a fella with 5 All Ireland medals it is pretty clear he will get a huge amount of votes!

I think too many exaggerate the Kerry vote the population of Kerry is less than 150K. The population of Ireland is 4.6 million. If any rural county had a finalist that won you would get ''hup the rebels'' or ''hup the lillywhites''. In Kerry a mark on the sand for footballers is 5 All Ireland Medals.

Aidan would be well regarded as a player that contributed especially in the latter years of his career. To think he is not respected by players from other counties and by other supporters is another missunderstanding about GAA. What happens on the field (except for out and out thuggery) stays on the field. As for the marking of Michael Murphy this was the same player that a few weeks previously was lucky not to get a straight red card for a challange on Diarmud Connolly.

However I think he garnered alot of votes for the way he conducted himself, his competitive streak was shown in how he improved all through the series. Some posters forget that he was especially good one night about 3 -4 weeks ago when he capuluted himself into the second tier dancers. In the end he won the public vote that is reality Television and the reality of it.

Slava Ukrainii

I think too many exaggerate the Kerry vote the population of Kerry is less than 150K. The population of Ireland is 4.6 million. If any rural county had a finalist that won you would get ''hup the rebels'' or ''hup the lillywhites''. In Kerry a mark on the sand for footballers is 5 All Ireland Medals.

Aidan would be well regarded as a player that contributed especially in the latter years of his career. To think he is not respected by players from other counties and by other supporters is another missunderstanding about GAA. What happens on the field (except for out and out thuggery) stays on the field. As for the marking of Michael Murphy this was the same player that a few weeks previously was lucky not to get a straight red card for a challange on Diarmud Connolly.

However I think he garnered alot of votes for the way he conducted himself, his competitive streak was shown in how he improved all through the series. Some posters forget that he was especially good one night about 3 -4 weeks ago when he capuluted himself into the second tier dancers. In the end he won the public vote that is reality Television and the reality of it.

Agree with a lot of your post. But it's cliched rubbish about what stays on the field. He dived, pretending to be hit with the fist, to get opponents sent off (against Cork) he was an unpopular player. Similar against Limerick in the 2004 Munster final and replay.

I'm speaking in general about where he'd get a gaa vote from? Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Donegal gaa? No one in Laois gaa would give 2 fcks about him. I'm sure most of his rival club footballers in Kerry wouldn't be voting either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuU3EdJ1NQ Roaring in lads faces sticking out his chest is what i remember most about him as a gaelic footballer.

'when he capuluted himself into the second tier dancers'? He copulated himself into the winning position if you ask me!

His behaviour was great throughout the series, but he might only be putting it on. Cute boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

People take these competitions away too serious,its only a bit of craic,John Aldridge won the singing competition years back and he hadnt a note in his head

Fair play to Aidan on winning,I didnt think he would last two weeks and I think he would say the same himself,

People take these competitions away too serious,its only a bit of craic,John Aldridge won the singing competition years back and he hadnt a note in his head

Fair play to Aidan on winning,I didnt think he would last two weeks and I think he would say the same himself,

I agree! The first thing I done when his name was called out was laugh! Not in a "disgrace" way, but more in a "here comes the faux outrage" brigade!

We all know one of the 2 girls deserved the competition based on talent, even most of the Aidan's voters wouldn't be naive enough to think so. But people want their own to win and if someone like Aidan has more supporters, he will win. These supporters aren't talent critics to the main but supporters! Aidan done a great job, he was far far from a joke act but he mainly won on popularity and it is a voting competition in a country that can be quite tribal at times so I don't get why people don't just accept that he won a competition!

The show was a success, compared to how RTE "talent" shows usually go, so kudos to the producers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I agree! The first thing I done when his name was called out was laugh! Not in a "disgrace" way, but more in a "here comes the faux outrage" brigade!

We all know one of the 2 girls deserved the competition based on talent, even most of the Aidan's voters wouldn't be naive enough to think so. But people want their own to win and if someone like Aidan has more supporters, he will win. These supporters aren't talent critics to the main but supporters! Aidan done a great job, he was far far from a joke act but he mainly won on popularity and it is a voting competition in a country that can be quite tribal at times so I don't get why people don't just accept that he won a competition!

The show was a success, compared to how RTE "talent" shows usually go, so kudos to the producers.

I do laugh at the reaction to these competitions,people getting thick over noting :D

I did laugh as well when they called out the winner

Maybe next year have it all ex GAA players

Jason Sherlock,Paul Galvin,Eoin Kelly (Tipp),Dan Shanahan,Eoin Mulligan,Johnny Dooley,throw in Anna Geary as well.

Advertisement