Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont think Erins accent is even that strong. Rob's Cork, Karen's Dublin and Jake's Scouse accent are all way stronger. If people were critiquing based on accents they'd all be worse off than Erin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any idea how many weeks of the show is left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Erin accent had nothing to do with my opinion of her . I am surrounded by that accent and surrounded by lovely people with that accent . Erin bugs me with her mouthy attention seeking . Nothing more

Anyone who puts themselves forward for a national tv show is attention seeking. They just go about it in different ways.

Tomás O'Leary, like O'Mahony last year, like showing off the body. Certain performers, probably unwittingly, speak of personal emotional events like loss of loved ones or their weight having been out of control and low self esteem in the past. Others are silently determined and the competitive streak can be seen when they get a 6 score and feel they should have gotten an 8. Others play the age card. Why wouldn't Erin speak about her brother. It's the reason she's there.I'd be very proud of a family member who went from the dole to one of the richest sports people in the world in 3 years. Now how he got there and his behaviour may not be to all our liking but it's a euphemism to say he's a success story. And what's wrong with being proud of your family anyway.

I wouldn't like to be meeting Erin on First Dates but give the girl a break:) The people with the 'likeable' personalities mightn't be such nice people when the cameras are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nagdefy wrote: »
    Anyone who puts themselves forward for a national tv show is attention seeking. They just go about it in different ways.

Tomás O'Leary, like O'Mahony last year, like showing off the body. Certain performers, probably unwittingly, speak of personal emotional events like loss of loved ones or their weight having been out of control and low self esteem in the past. Others are silently determined and the competitive streak can be seen when they get a 6 score and feel they should have gotten an 8. Others play the age card. Why wouldn't Erin speak about her brother. It's the reason she's there.I'd be very proud of a family member who went from the dole to one of the richest sports people in the world in 3 years. Now how he got there and his behaviour may not be to all our liking but it's a euphemism to say he's a success story. And what's wrong with being proud of your family anyway.

I wouldn't like to be meeting Erin on First Dates but give the girl a break:) The people with the 'likeable' personalities mightn't be such nice people when the cameras are off.
    Just not my cup of tea and am entitled to say so . She can mention whoever she likes but that doesnt mean I have to like it ! She is the type of person I would avoid and its that simple really ;Other are free to think she is great !

Just not my cup of tea and am entitled to say so . She can mention whoever she likes but that doesnt mean I have to like it ! She is the type of person I would avoid and its that simple really ;Other are free to think she is great !

Of course you are entitled. And i respect it.

And it's any opinion held by the majority. But i feel she needs a little defending :) I couldn't really listen to her either but others who present themselves in a more sophisticated manor may not be all they seem.

I know none of these people but i wouldn't constantly knock her on Sunday night's yapping! If she's on for a few more weeks we may have a better idea.

I'll probably be carded for saying this but i knew a few people who were in college and worked with last years winner and the reports about him were far from glowing. I don't know if you follow GAA but you could deduce as much from his on field behaviour over the years. But he knew how to play the humble oul yerra boy card well!

• Advertisement

Of course you are entitled. And i respect it.

And it's any opinion held by the majority. But i feel she needs a little defending :) I couldn't really listen to her either but others who present themselves in a more sophisticated manor may not be all they seem.

I know none of these people but i wouldn't constantly knock her on Sunday night's yapping! If she's on for a few more weeks we may have a better idea.

I'll probably be carded for saying this but i knew a few people who were in college and worked with last years winner and the reports about him were far from glowing. I don't know if you follow GAA but you could deduce as much from his on field behaviour over the years. But he knew how to play the humble oul yerra boy card well!

Oh to be honest I am not a GAA person but I got that vibe from him from day one ! lets wait and see if Erin slows down and maybe the woman was just pumped up on adrenaline and over excited .

Oh to be honest I am not a GAA person but I got that vibe from him from day one ! lets wait and see if Erin slows down and maybe the woman was just pumped up on adrenaline and over excited .

I know. I'm not saying she may turn out to be all people feel..

Yeah last year's man firing potatoes and knocking glasses off a female guard i know in the training canteen! And this wasn't a once off... I'll say no more!

Who do you think will win?

I think it's wide open.. I hope it isn't a gaa vote thing with Geary and Marty.

Suppose Alannah may have the most potential..

I know. I'm not saying she may turn out to be all people feel..

Yeah last year's man firing potatoes and knocking glasses off a female guard i know in the training canteen! I'll say no more!

Who do you think will win?

I think it's wide open.. I hope it isn't a gaa vote thing with Geary and Marty.

Suppose Alannah may have the most potential..

its wide open this year .Last year I saw Aoibhean and Denise as winners straight away .I didnt bargain with the combined Kerry/GAA/Gaurds vote though .

its wide open this year .Last year I saw Aoibhean and Denise as winners straight away .I didnt bargain with the combined Kerry/GAA/Gaurds vote though .

No one is standing out this year like that alright. Aoibheann in particular was like a pro by the end. Now Denise wasn't far off but Aoibheann's figure, height etc accentuated the graceful look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Think that the girls are far better than the boys. I think that Rob was great in Week 1 while Jake impressed in that army group dance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last year I knew from early on the Aidan had a good chance of winning. Unlike a poster above the people I knew who met him and knew him liked and they weren't from Kerry.
    I knew Denise and Aoibhinn would run into trouble because they weren't likable.
    If Dale was better known or even got to the final above Denise he might have a chance.
    I find it hard to call they'd be a massive split in the Cork vote and Marty might get on well. If the Nathan Carter fans get behind Jake they'd give him a good vote because they'd be voters if you know what I mean.
    If I scroll through the friends I have on social media who'd follow Conor they'd wouldn't be Dancing with the Stars followers and wouldn't pay to vote. I don't know would she appeal to the typical voter of these shoes. If that makes sense.
    One of the stars have relatives in my area this year and they are likable but a little snobby!

Last year I knew from early on the Aidan had a good chance of winning. Unlike a poster above the people I knew who met him and knew him liked and they weren't from Kerry.
    I knew Denise and Aoibhinn would run into trouble because they weren't likable.
    If Dale was better known or even got to the final above Denise he might have a chance.
    I find it hard to call they'd be a massive split in the Cork vote and Marty might get on well. If the Nathan Carter fans get behind Jake they'd give him a good vote because they'd be voters if you know what I mean.
    If I scroll through the friends I have on social media who'd follow Conor they'd wouldn't be Dancing with the Stars followers and wouldn't pay to vote. I don't know would she appeal to the typical voter of these shoes. If that makes sense.
    One of the stars have relatives in my area this year and they are likable but a little snobby!

I wouldn't say either girl was unlikeable. One male v two females set it up for O'Mahony. Dale losing in the semi really won it for him.

Poster from above.

I wouldn't say either girl was unlikeable. One male v two females set it up for O'Mahony. Dale losing in the semi really won it for him.

Poster from above.

I'm just basing it on people I spoke to at the time. People found Denise a little harsh rougher similar to Erin(I finder city Dubs can find it hard to connect with people at time) Ryan also didn't do her any favors in my opinion and Aoibhin was snobby(Going on here appearances on shows/interviews). Ava was always Ava. People never said they hated Thalia or Teressa or Katherine.

I'm just basing it on people I spoke to at the time. People found Denise a little harsh rougher similar to Erin(I finder city Dubs can find it hard to connect with people at time) Ryan also didn't do her any favors in my opinion and Aoibhin was snobby(Going on here appearances on shows/interviews). Ava was always Ava. People never said they hated Thalia or Teressa or Katherine.

Not always true re. Dublin accent, Karen the pro dancer is very popular. Where i'm from Denise and Aoibhin Garrihy weren't unpopular. One person's snobby is another's classy. One's down to earth is another's rough around the edges.

Having played inter county corresponding with the early years of O'Mahony's career he was far from popular among GAA people, even in the Kingdom. That's why i don't believe a GAA vote won it for him. They (GAA supporters) wouldn't be strong voters either. Outside and inside Kerry GAA he wouldn't have drawn much votes from GAA hardcore.

If he was Dj Carey, Joe Canning, Bernard Brogan etc i could see a GAA countrywide vote come into play.

He was known for being a shaper as a footballer and not terribly manly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Karen is not as popular as people make out she is. In fact, it's as if RTE are trying to force celebrity status on her because she's the only Irish female pro on the show.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Karen is not as popular as people make out she is. In fact, it's as if RTE are trying to force celebrity status on her because she's the only Irish female pro on the show.

Ok. The whole popularity thing really varies on where you're from and what you've read, interviews you've seen etc.

Not always true re. Dublin accent, Karen the pro dancer is very popular. Where i'm from Denise and Aoibhin Garrihy weren't unpopular. One person's snobby is another's classy. One's down to earth is another's rough around the edges.

Having played inter county corresponding with the early years of O'Mahony's career he was far from popular among GAA people, even in the Kingdom. That's why i don't believe a GAA vote won it for him. They (GAA supporters) wouldn't be strong voters either. Outside and inside Kerry GAA he wouldn't have drawn much votes from GAA hardcore.

If he was Dj Carey, Joe Canning, Bernard Brogan etc i could see a GAA countrywide vote come into play.

He was known for being a shaper as a footballer and not terribly manly.

Totally agree with you regarding his pitch behavior but he never claimed to be a Saint he even said this when he was on Claire Byrne a few weeks ago. He still had a fairly successful playing career went on to win all stars tough.
    All the people I knew who ever encountered him really liked him and you clearly have experienced the opposite!
    It's pointless fighting about who we liked or didn't like last year.
    We all have out likes and dislikes and like it or not it does play a part in these types of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

No one is standing out this year like that alright. Aoibheann in particular was like a pro by the end. Now Denise wasn't far off but Aoibheann's figure, height etc accentuated the graceful look.

Aoibhín was brilliant. So was Denise, but she did not look as elegant as Aoibhín who I felt sure was going to win. The judges loved
    her. But, she was up against the might of the Gardaí/GAA/Kerry vote. Once Des Cahill was eliminated, O'Mahoney would have
    received most of his votes. Marty will probably get votes from the same cohort who voted for Des. When he is gone, I imagine
    they will all transfer to Anna. Erin might do well as Conor no doubt will exhort all his followers to vote for her! :pac: My favourites
    on the night were Alannah and Vitali - hope they are voted in for a few weeks!! Even though they are very good, I doubt they
    have the 'connections' to be voted eventual winners.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Aoibhín was brilliant. So was Denise, but she did not look as elegant as Aoibhín who I felt sure was going to win. The judges loved
    her. But, she was up against the might of the Gardaí/GAA/Kerry vote. Once Des Cahill was eliminated, O'Mahoney would have
    received most of his votes. Marty will probably get votes from the same cohort who voted for Des. When he is gone, I imagine
    they will all transfer to Anna. Erin might do well as Conor no doubt will exhort all his followers to vote for her! :pac: My favourites
    on the night were Alannah and Vitali - hope they are voted in for a few weeks!! Even though they are very good, I doubt they
    have the 'connections' to be voted eventual winners.

I've said it on here a few times but i don't know about the GAA vote that people feel was a player. Other counties wouldn't really be bothered voting for a GAA player from outside their county or often within. If they were a nationally huge figure beforehand it might play a part. AOM was a very good player (i'd have issues with certain aspects of his style as outlined) in a Kerry team full of stars in the noughties. Gooch, Galvin, the O'Sés, Declan O'Sullivan were far higher profile nationally. If it was Henry Shefflin or the like a national GAA vote might come into play.

The majority of GAA people don't go 'oh there's a GAA player i must vote for him' no way. I'd say the Gardai could be the main player. Also a rural rather than GAA vote maybe as Dubs are poor voters historically in these reality shows? Aoibhin was rural too but didn't seem to connect. Shame because she was excellent.

I think Dessie get the pity and the pensioner votes:D Marty probably will too, and an older female vote.

Again this are only my opinions, as valid/worthless as everyone elses:) Just being from a strong GAA background i wanted to express myself on that.

I've said it on here a few times but i don't know about the GAA vote that people feel was a player. Other counties wouldn't really be bothered voting for a GAA player from outside their county or often within. If they were a nationally huge figure beforehand it might play a part. AOM was a very good player (i'd have issues with certain aspects of his style as outlined) in a Kerry team full of stars in the noughties. Gooch, Galvin, the O'Sés, Declan O'Sullivan were far higher profile nationally. If it was Henry Shefflin or the like a national GAA vote might come into play.

The majority of GAA people don't go 'oh there's a GAA player i must vote for him' no way. I'd say the Gardai could be the main player. Also a rural rather than GAA vote maybe as Dubs are poor voters historically in these reality shows? Aoibhin was rural too but didn't seem to connect. Shame because she was excellent.

I think Dessie get the pity and the pensioner votes:D Marty probably will too, and an older female vote.

Again this are only my opinions, as valid/worthless as everyone elses:) Just being from a strong GAA background i wanted to express myself on that.

Just read your previous post about AOM and the GAA. Re the video, I loved the 'bit of a delayed reaction'! Aiden was some
    drama queen there! :D I accept your points about the GAA, as I'm only presuming how he won. It was interesting about Aoibhín,
    the manner in which she represented herself as hailing from Clare, as she grew up in Castleknock. Her Dad is from Doolin and
    her Mum is the daughter of the famous concertina player, Chris Droney, from Bellharbour. She definitely gave the impression
    during DWTS that she was a rural girl, flying up and down to Clare on a regular basis. I remember her saying that Vitali told
    her on one occasion when they needed to do a lot of practice: 'No going to Clare this week.' Yet, I saw her on 'Elaine' on TV3
    recently, insisting she was a city girl and it was her parents who came from Clare. :eek: No big deal about it, really. It just
    struck me at the time as rather curious.

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It was interesting about Aoibhín,
    the manner in which she represented herself as hailing from Clare, as she grew up in Castleknock. Her Dad is from Doolin and
    her Mum is the daughter of the famous concertina player, Chris Droney, from Bellharbour. She definitely gave the impression
    during DWTS that she was a rural girl, flying up and down to Clare on a regular basis. I remember her saying that Vitali told
    her on one occasion when they needed to do a lot of practice: 'No going to Clare this week.' Yet, I saw her on 'Elaine' on TV3
    recently, insisting she was a city girl and it was her parents who came from Clare. :eek: No big deal about it, really. It just
    struck me at the time as rather curious.

I was always under the impression that Aoibhin was from Suburban Dublin and just visited Clare for the family business/roots. However in Dancing With the Stars she really made a big deal out of Clare and they was no real mention of growing up in Dublin. I always though that her and Amanda were both Castleknockers(If that's a word)

I was always under the impression that Aoibhin was from Suburban Dublin and just visited Clare for the family business/roots. However in Dancing With the Stars she really made a big deal out of Clare and they was no real mention of growing up in Dublin. I always though that her and Amanda were both Castleknockers(If that's a word)

They have 'knockers' in common alright Fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Her grandfather was from Doolin, I don't know whether her father grew up there, but she grew up in Dublin for sure. Her husband is a Clare man with businesses to promote, so the Clare connection probably made more sense for them than looking for a Dublin vote when there were several other competitors also from Dublin.

I always thought Aoibheann was from Rathfarnham . No idea where I got that from but she a Dub

It was definitely all about Clare for her on DWTS. Vitali was brought down at one stage to visit her grandparents' farm in
    Bellharbour (near Ballyvaughan). Guess she was aiming for the Clare vote as there were more contenders from
    Dublin. It almost worked for her! :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    Her grandfather was from Doolin, I don't know whether her father grew up there, but she grew up in Dublin for sure. Her husband is a Clare man with businesses to promote, so the Clare connection probably made more sense for them than looking for a Dublin vote when there were several other competitors also from Dublin.

Her father is from Doolin. He owns the Doolin2Aran ferries.
    She is married to John Burke of the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point.
    He was the first Clareman to summit Mount Everest last May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I think ultimately Erin will probably win. I thought she was good but I thought Anna Geary was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Songs and Dances for tonight

Alannah & Vitali- Charleston -Emergency - Icona Pop
    Anna & Kai- Samba - New Rules - Dua Lipa
    Bernard & Valeria- Salsa -He's the Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge
    Deirdre & John- Tango -I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Erin & Ryan- Viennese Waltz -You Don't Own Me - Grace & G-Eazy
    Jake & Karen- Quickstep-Knee Deep in My Heart - Shane Filan
    Maïa & Robert-Waltz-See the Day - Girls Aloud
    Marty & Ksenia-Cha-Cha-Cha-I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
    Norah & Curtis-Paso Doble-Señorita - Bond
    Rob & Emily-Tango-I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
    Tomás & Giulia-Jive-Chasing Cars - The Baseballs

Reckon it will either be Robm Tomas,Alannah or Maia who goes tonight which would be a shame. 2fm voters will keep Bernard in and Norah did well and has a big following. Alannah is great probably one of the best female dancers but like Talia she wont get the votes and Maia has a following but her name to text to vote is written as Maïa and if people just write Maia it doesn't count as a vote

Wish the judges had a save opinion for one week where they could save the eliminated couple or the judges got to decide who went from the bottom three on a unanimous decision

If Tomás could get his daddies vote behind him it could do him a lot of favors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Songs and Dances for tonight

Alannah & Vitali- Charleston -Emergency - Icona Pop
    Anna & Kai- Samba - New Rules - Dua Lipa
    Bernard & Valeria- Salsa -He's the Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge
    Deirdre & John- Tango -I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Erin & Ryan- Viennese Waltz -You Don't Own Me - Grace & G-Eazy
    Jake & Karen- Quickstep-Knee Deep in My Heart - Shane Filan
    Maïa & Robert-Waltz-See the Day - Girls Aloud
    Marty & Ksenia-Cha-Cha-Cha-I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
    Norah & Curtis-Paso Doble-Señorita - Bond
    Rob & Emily-Tango-I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
    Tomás & Giulia-Jive-Chasing Cars - The Baseballs

Reckon it will either be Robm Tomas,Alannah or Maia who goes tonight which would be a shame. 2fm voters will keep Bernard in and Norah did well and has a big following. Alannah is great probably one of the best female dancers but like Talia she wont get the votes and Maia has a following but her name to text to vote is written as Maïa and if people just write Maia it doesn't count as a vote

Wish the judges had a save opinion for one week where they could save the eliminated couple or the judges got to decide who went from the bottom three on a unanimous decision

Jaysus if they are that harsh on Maïa's name she will miss a heap of votes!

Advertisement