Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer health insurance package

• 10-09-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Right simple question, the job I'm currently in has a generous health insurance plan. My question is, if I leave/get sacked, will I immediately lose the insurance? Is there an option for me to simply continue paying the cost instead of my employer?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StormLord

No ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The insurance company might underwrite you based on you being in the class of covered employees, so technically your policy expires on the last day for which premiums have been paid. This means that if your job was to end on the first day of the month, but the premiums had been paid through the last day, you get the rest of that month. You might ask your HR department if you can cover the premiums yourself after that date, but the insurance company may refuse to cover you or may ask you to switch to an individual policy instead. Your contract of employment might have some provisions related to keeping your insurance in force for up to a few months. Life insurance operates under slightly different rules and depends on whether you paid your own money into the policy, among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

My health Insurance was paid many years ago when employed and when I left to go self employed I presumed that once the annual premium was paid by my employer at the time that I was covered until the renewal and I heard nothing at the time to the contrary. However when the renewal came up I was contacted by VHI asking me to pay the premium from time I left employment to renewal date. I did so and just continued my Health Insurance policy so yes your cover should remain and renewal sent directly to you.

Advertisement