Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front derailleur/Shifter question

Options
  • 10-09-2016 6:54pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I am in the process of installing a new double speed front derailleur. I haven't put back on the chain yet but the spacing looks ok when I shift into both gear positions. The issue I'm having is that when I shift to the smaller cog...it's violent to say the least. There's one click to move to the larger cog, then 2 to move to the inner, one small click and then the larger violent click. I installed new inner and outer cables. Any thoughts o wise ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Put the chain on and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think that "small click, big click" when down shifting the front derailleur is normal on shimano, not sure about sram or campag.
    Hardly notice it out on the road, with all the other sounds
    It less noticeable on the higher end groupsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think that "small click, big click" when down shifting the front derailleur is normal on shimano, not sure about sram or campag.
    Hardly notice it out on the road, with all the other sounds
    It less noticeable on the higher end groupsets.

My Sora group is like that. Not violently shifting, but it takes a big click to drop to the small chainring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Just check the cable routing to the Allen bolt, it may need to be routed over a lip rather than under (this is definitely the case with my 3 SRAM derailleurs)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What shifters have you?

From experience 5700 FD shifter is very crude with a large harsh click going from large to small ring. The same change with 4600 is much smoother and less 'violent' The change with 6800 is almost effortless and very smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Thanks for all the advice. It's all sora at the moment. I think it was all a case of paranoia on my part. It's the first time I've done much with the front mech on a stand. I took a test spin and I barely noticed the jump. On the other hand the rear mech seemed much smoother on the stand and it's a bit harsher on the road. It's all moving between cogs just fine changing both ways so I think I'll just put it down to sora's.

Unfortunately a toddler and another on the way are putting a spanner in my upgrade plans. Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Idleater wrote: »

THanks, yup the routing all appears correct and in order.

Advertisement