Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place for ice rink

• 11-09-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭

To those living in Athlone area, where you be a good place to have an ice rink during the winter months. Would the park across from golden island shopping centre and a good place.
    Would be a lot of people around there that time of year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

No one got any views on that subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I recall a good few years ago there was one set up in the pitch across from Mr Price. While I didn't go to it myself, reports I heard back were that it wasn't a proper ice rink, it was more like a slippy floor.

I've been to ones in Dublin and Galway, they can be quite expensive.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I recall a good few years ago there was one set up in the pitch across from Mr Price. While I didn't go to it myself, reports I heard back were that it wasn't a proper ice rink, it was more like a slippy floor.

I've been to ones in Dublin and Galway, they can be quite expensive.

That was fake stuff. To be honest it's not cheap to run a rink also there is staff to pay. That would be the main reasons for the price

cena wrote: »
    That was fake stuff. To be honest it's not cheap to run a rink also there is staff to pay. That would be the main reasons for the price
    That's very true! Would an ice rink in Athlone over the Christmas period even make any money? Would it get the crowds and would people pay the money?

One thing about the location you mentioned: if there's much wind about it can be very blustery and cold in Burgess park. I know that manys a time going round the corner where Xtravision used to be, the wind would go through you. Same with walking up the town by the strand. It can be very cold in winter.
    Last thing to bear in mind, did you see that area last winter?!

If you want to pick a location - look at where the circus and the fun fairs set up. Behind the Diskin Centre (although a flood risk). Or beside Athlone Town FC stadium.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    That's very true! Would an ice rink in Athlone over the Christmas period even make any money? Would it get the crowds and would people pay the money?

One thing about the location you mentioned: if there's much wind about it can be very blustery and cold in Burgess park. I know that manys a time going round the corner where Xtravision used to be, the wind would go through you. Same with walking up the town by the strand. It can be very cold in winter.
    Last thing to bear in mind, did you see that area last winter?!

If you want to pick a location - look at where the circus and the fun fairs set up. Behind the Diskin Centre (although a flood risk). Or beside Athlone Town FC stadium.

Would an ice rink in Athlone over the Christmas period even make any money? Would it get the crowds and would people pay the money?

That is what I am thinking. I have emailed a crowd about bringing one to athlone. Waiting for a reply.

Is the fc stadium too far from the town

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Is the fc stadium too far from the town
    It would be a bit of a walk, but do-able. There would be better parking there than in the middle of town and it's beside the motorway. But would people travel out there specially for ice skating?
    If someone wanted to go ice skating in Burgess Park during Christmas, they wouldn't get parking at all in Golden Island across the road.

Advertisement