Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike tour down west coast of America: any advice?

Options
  • 11-09-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I am planning a bike tour starting in either Vancouver or Seattle and heading south as far as I can in 4-5 weeks.
    I have bike toured a few times around Europe & this time I would prefer to travel light and stay in lodges in campsites, hostels or hotells...

Have any of you done this trip?
    Could you recommend a company that organises group, supported trips down the west coast?

I am aware of a great book 'Bicycling the Pacific Coast' and blogs by people like crazy guy on a bike, which I will read Asap...

I appreciate your advice!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Any West Coast US bike tourers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There is a guy on youtube called Bicycle Touring Pro.
    He is currently doing a tour around Spain and Portugal with his mate Kevin an Aussie. Two vegans! He is from California so I would imagine he would have done the Pacific coast or at least he should have info being from there. Comment on one of the videos and I am sure he would get back.

I have watched a good few of their videos using the Chromecast. It is easy watching though the Yank can be a bit of a moaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Bicycle Quarterly is based in Seattle and worth a read for some trails. Maybe mailing too, they do occasional spins and could take the headwind off.

I don't know about the in-between bits but bike theft can be pretty bad in VCR, Seattle and SF.

Thanks for the feedback.. I will check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

Did it in a car a few years back during the summer, if you are near the coast be prepared for a lot mist and rain until you get south of San Fran. Inland was much warmer in the summer. You'll see a lot of redwood trees :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads!
    I will check out that youtube channel..
    I cycled down to Faro last summer, so i could relate to a lot of it!

The thing is though.. I would love to light pack next year & stay in nicer places..
    It was very hot this year in Southern France & Spain & when i camped.. I found that i didnt cool down properly & didnt sleep very well!!

Advertisement