Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re-deployment

Options
  • 11-09-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My work place provides redeployment opportunities to staff members who are facing redundancy. At my place of work there are a lot of short term contracts for nine months whereby staff who are already working for the company can take a secondment into a different role and usually at a much higher grade. Unfortunately there are two people who are floating from one nine month contract to the next via redeployment so those roles are not advertised or open to application from internal staff or indeed external candidates. What this means in a nutshell is that permanent staff members who want to progress are not getting the experience of working short term at higher grades. These temporary workers are getting the salary benefits and grading/experience advantages that these jobs provide. So if a permanent job comes up at this higher grade these temporary workers are better placed to get the job above the permanent member of staff who is at a lower grade and trying to get the experience for progress.

Is redeployment a legal requirement? How do I best make a complaint to the union/ is there any point in complaining?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If it's a private company then they can certainly do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stheno wrote: »
    If it's a private company then they can certainly do this.

It's a university.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

denada1 wrote: »
    It's a university.

I'd imagine they can also do it, they are looking to hire people with the relevant experience.

You could look at upskilling yourself, or perhaps getting one of the nine month contracts and moving up that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd imagine they can also do it, they are looking to hire people with the relevant experience.

You could look at upskilling yourself, or perhaps getting one of the nine month contracts and moving up that way?

No I don't think so, if they were looking to hire the best person for the job then it would be advertised, instead these people are sent an email saying that a position has become vacant, next thing we all know an email goes round saying that these individuals got positions that weren't advertised and only discussed between management and these people. I don't resent them for getting the work they may well be the best person for the job but we don't know that because it's not advertised and it's not fair practice in my book. I got a permanent job through interviewing twice but it is at a low grade, I then got a second job to push my hours to 35, this role is temporary but at the low grade. All three times I went up against external candidates, I would love to have access to a role at a higher grade but I can't even get an interview so, wtf!

I can't upskill, for these roles you learn on the job and by being trained by these departments otherwise you leave and try to get ahead somewhere else. Getting these jobs is a privilege. There are people who have worked for the company longer than these temporary workers who are very angry because they would love to get a pay increase of more than three grand for nine months and also gain the experience that would allow them access to that job but h.r. has decreed that people at risk of redundancy as they chose to apply for a temporary job will have access to better pay and advantages than the rest of us and no I can't be redeployed after I finish my second role which is temporary.

I would love to get one of the contracts as a secondment but they aren't advertised internally or externally, these people are handed the jobs without competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

feel free to speak to the union thats why they are there.
    but like Stheno said theres no problems with what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depending on the deal done with the relevant union, re-deployment may be a contractual requirement for people whose positions have been made redundant, or are at risk.

I would seriously advise talking to your union about this, it's likely there's a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Advertisement