Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugarloaf Jesus on top of GBS

Options
  • 11-09-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I was just passing by this building today, and noticed that the statue on top of the Galway Business School in Salthill has shifted with the wind, so Jesus is slightly more laid back now and askew from his previous prom-facing position.

I think this could be dangerous. I don't know what it is made of, but it is a pretty big "statue" anyway. It could just conceivably topple all the way down and seriously hurt somebody.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, maybe I worry over nothing? :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Moving statue
    tourism opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

snubbleste wrote: »
    Moving statue
    tourism opportunity.

No chance of a photo is there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Buddy74 wrote: »
    No chance of a photo is there?

Connacht Tribune facebook page has it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I took this earlier. There are 4 steel wires holding it in place but the statue has moved and 3 of the wires are flapping around.
    Some guy was telling me that it was half a tonne in weight but it's much lighter than that as it's made mainly from styrofoam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Never noticed him. What's he doing there anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Telling a lie about a recent fishing trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/who-needs-copacabana-when-you-have-salthill-christ-the-redeemer-visits-galway-34952111.html

It was in bad shape around 16:45 on Sunday afternoon. Should probably have been further secured or taken down before now.

He must have scared the crap out of the dude in the paraglider the first day he popped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

geekychick wrote: »
    I think this could be dangerous. I don't know what it is made of, but it is a pretty big "statue" anyway. It could just conceivably topple all the way down and seriously hurt somebody.
    Jesus has a plan, he's clearly set up an ambush, getting him repaired would damn you to hell for interfering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ScumLord wrote: »
    Jesus has a plan, he's clearly set up an ambush, getting him repaired would damn you to hell for interfering.
    Surely you'd be worshipping a false idol statue, so you'll be going to hell anyhoos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Disregard that phoney, he doesn't even lift...

...but Korean Jesus does!

crossfit-jesus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Was originally installed for the Volvo Ocean Race in 2012

https://www.facebook.com/gci.ie/posts/372947902758864?stream_ref=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Edgy comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Well, he's gone - I noticed they took him down yesterday. He's probably stashed somewhere now awaiting the next Volvo ocean race or a similar opportunity...

But seriously, putting big statues secured (ahem) with cables on top of buildings doesn't make a good combination with our windswept weather here !

The pope is supposed to be coming soon isn't he?
    He will probably be resurrected for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

geekychick wrote: »
    Well, he's gone -

I'd say give it about three days and he'll be back... That's his style anyway. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

dilallio wrote: »
    Some guy was telling me that it was half a tonne in weight but it's much lighter than that as it's made mainly from styrofoam.

A few lads can lift him;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plkHd1HZP48

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm surprised after the whole claddagh jewelry mural that nobody mentioned whether it had planning permission or not.

I'm surprised after the whole claddagh jewelry mural that nobody mentioned whether it had planning permission or not.

Was thinking that myself.

Advertisement