Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon vat query

• 11-09-2016 2:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

I bought powdered milk from amazon.co.uk.
    It retails at £15, but I was charged £15.38
    Revenue give the impression that milk powder is 0% vat.
    Is that correct? If so, how do I get the 38p refunded and possibly any UK vat?

Comments

Give them your registered VAT number when you are make the purchase?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Give them your registered VAT number when you are make the purchase?
    I don't have a company.
    If vat is not payable in the destination country, then I should get any UK vat refunded, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Have you asked Amazon? Their customer service is usually great.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Is it really worth the hassle with revenue here claiming 38p, the paperwork alone

Have you asked Amazon? Their customer service is usually great.
    I just did. :cool:
    They confirmed I should not have been charged Irish VAT and will get a refund from Amazon at some point.
    Although it is still not clear if I was charged UK Vat (given I was charged 3% extra) or if it is a glitch on the Amazon system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Jesus it's 38p. And people said the Celtic tiger is back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

For a milk rich country like Ireland producing the most natural form of fresh milk every day,it might be cheaper to get it in the local shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

The 38p is the difference between UK and Irish Vat, an equivalent percentage is always added by Amazon to purchases when the order is from Ireland, at least it is for me, so if they have agreed a VAT refund it should be for the full amount, 23% which will be the UK VAT plus the 38p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

HorseSea wrote: »
    The 38p is the difference between UK and Irish Vat, an equivalent percentage is always added by Amazon to purchases when the order is from Ireland, at least it is for me, so if they have agreed a VAT refund it should be for the full amount, 23% which will be the UK VAT plus the 38p.

But isn't the problem that the item is zero rated (food) in the UK and zero rated here but Amazon have done what you have suggested without realising they are selling a zero VAT item?

But I'm not 100% sure powered milk is zero rated?

HorseSea wrote: »
    I know that..
    But I suspect that prepared milk is also vat-exempt in the UK. That leads me to think it is a glitch in the amazon system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

snubbleste wrote: »
    I know that..
    But I suspect that prepared milk is also vat-exempt in the UK. That leads me to think it is a glitch in the amazon system.

Wouldn't be the first glitch, remember the problems with free super saver delivery to Ireland that took ages to fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fepper wrote: »
    For a milk rich country like Ireland producing the most natural form of fresh milk every day,it might be cheaper to get it in the local shop

Dried milk is pretty expensive here, and many are skim milk powder not whole milk powder. The one he got 6 of is £3 per 400g in tesco UK, and that's a special offer

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=260148289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Why, when the price changes at checkout from your basket, doesn't Amazon tell you it's because of local VAT? I was so confused.

"Great consumer support" my ****, their UI doesn't give two ***** about anyone outside the UK.

Occono wrote: »
    Why, when the price changes at checkout from your basket, doesn't Amazon tell .
    They should really allow you to log in and pick Ireland as your delivery address and display those prices, or display UK & irish, i.e. allow you pick your parcel motel address and regular one. And it could easily show if items can be posted to you too, e.g. batteries etc. There was a plugin for firefox that showed Irish prices, but I think it guessed some VAT items.

I did a test there to buy UHT milk portions and it was zero vat for Ireland and UK, The powder in the OP has VAT in both as expected.

Whey protein powders are zero in the UK but 23% here if they look like sports nutrition stuff.

So, I got my 23% vat refund today.. that means they are charging UK customers VAT all this time.
    Amazon terms it an "Item billing error"

Woohoo, really cheap powdered milk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

But a 38p refund does not equal 23%

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    But a 38p refund does not equal 23%

he never said he got 38p, it was the full 23%, about £2.87

38p was only the difference between uk and irish vat

Advertisement